U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

438 posts, read 1,012,366 times

Advertisements

In your position I'd live in the eastern part of West Hartford, near the West End of Hartford. I can't say the Hartford area is a particularly good place to be single -- it's not, especially if you're more towards the artsy/hipster end of the spectrum, as opposed to the yuppie end. But it's the best option available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 AM

24,603 posts, read 40,176,096 times
Enough of the bickering. Get back to the topic. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,772,563 times
Manchester. Check out the mills or apartments near the mall (be aware that mall traffic around holidays and weekends can be a PITA). You may also be able to find a condo to rent on craigslist.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,415 times
Can someone clarify whether the West End of Hartford near Elizabeth Park, Fern and Whitney is safe at night? I'm getting so many conflicting comments. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 PM

24,603 posts, read 40,176,096 times
I consider that a safe neighborhood. Like any city though you do have to be conscience of your surroundings and not do stupid things. Jay

Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM

207 posts, read 383,303 times
IMHO coming to Manchester from Tampa Bay it does have a very suburban feel but with all of the shops and chain restaurants of a city also it has the small mom and pop places of a small town as well. I don't know what Chicago is like but the commute times where terrible in TB, 1hr+ just to get to the other side of town, you wont find that here so where ever you go every thing is within driving distance at least (Hartford in 10min, Boston in just over an hour, and NYC in 2). On the plus side if you have to commute kinda far at least you are in a beautiful place to do it.

@Sucitta60 I agree with JayCT that neighborhood is very nice in spots and not so much in others but it is all relative to what you are used to. I felt safe there with my wife and two kids.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM

237 posts, read 430,244 times
To the OP: chances are, if you are coming from Chicago even the city of Hartford will feel tiny to you. West Hartford will probably seem quite suburban; it did to me. I lived in both the Hyde Park neighborhood in Chicago and in the west end of Hartford. They felt decently comparable in terms of safety but I would say that in general the west end of Hartford felt more comfortable for walking around at night (as a youngish female) than Hyde Park did. It felt less comfortable than Hyde Park as you go beyond Woodland Ave (moving out of the "west end" neighborhood).

To Sucitta60: I think you are dealing with different posters having very different comfort levels in urban areas. I would suggest walking around any area you are thinking about moving to at night to see if you feel comfortable with it. I did that for the exact area you mention before moving there and got the (correct) impression that I would be personally happy with the neighborhood.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,446,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucitta60 View Post
Can someone clarify whether the West End of Hartford near Elizabeth Park, Fern and Whitney is safe at night? I'm getting so many conflicting comments. Thanks for your help.
West End area is nice, but Whitney is a combination of houses and multi-family houses, and a few of these duplexes aren't in the best shape. I definitely wouldn't be scared to travel through here even at night, but this street has been known for occassional break-ins into cars (including a friend of mine.) Fern Street IMO is much nicer and there's a few mult-family homes here as well.

If you want the West End you can't really go wrong here, as long as you're north of FarmingtonAve, which these streets are. If you have the chance to visit the area, head down Whitney and see for yourself. I know this area well so my comfort level may be higher than most, but it's not a bad area by any means. Still, I can see why a few people might be put off by it. It's reallya matter of one's own comfort level.

Re: eastern part of WH - check out the apartments on FarmingtonAve east of Whiting Lane. There's a ton of these that appear well-kept and this area is safe. A bit more "urban" in the sense that it's busier and more densely populated, but it's pretty quiet there. It's definitely diverse but everyone seems to get along with each other.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,415 times
Thanks for your replies regarding the West End. Actually, my biggest concern is walking home at night from law school. Are there a lot of students in the area walking at night? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or