U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,088 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated college and will be moving to the Hartford area and working in Glastonbury. I have heard a lot of negative things about the area and am wondering where I should be looking for places to live. I am looking to rent an apartment/condo. Being from Chicago, I'm not exactly a huge fan of suburban life and prefer to have lots of restaurants/bars/etc nearby, but I'm also not sure what the suburbs are like in CT.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
If you're not a fan of suburban life, you'll probably hate Glastonbury. Also, the entire state of Connecticut is considered the suburbs of New York by some...so being here to start with probably makes you cringe when you get up every morning. Glastonbury is about as suburbian as it gets. It's also one of the wealthiest towns in the county. You get to Wethersfield by taking a ferry that's been operating since 1655. They have festivals on the green. There's no Interstate running through it, though there are some major state roads (rte. 2). Glastonbury is one of those kinds of towns, where people fall in love with New England, because someone sent them a picture of a sprawling mansion on a hill in winter when the snow blanketed the ground.

If you can afford it, but can't stand the idea of living in the suburbs, then you might be better off in NYC. Glastonbury epitomizes suburban life.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,839,168 times
You could try living in West Hartford, it's much safer then Hartford itself and there is a downtown that is walkable as well as the new Blueback square which has all kinds of shopping and places to eat.
There is also a large number of rentals in West Hartford, though most aren't complexes but apartments within multifamilies. It wouldn't be a bad commute to Glastonbury for work.

So I'd look into West Hartford, it's honstly the only place I can think of within that area that you may enjoy, but of course it's MUCH MUCH smaller then Chicago and is still somewhat a family town.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
West Hartford or Manchester

Old 05-17-2010, 07:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,195,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off2CT View Post
I recently graduated college and will be moving to the Hartford area and working in Glastonbury. I have heard a lot of negative things about the area and am wondering where I should be looking for places to live. I am looking to rent an apartment/condo. Being from Chicago, I'm not exactly a huge fan of suburban life and prefer to have lots of restaurants/bars/etc nearby, but I'm also not sure what the suburbs are like in CT.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Are you from Chicago proper or one of the burbs? You'll find nothing like being in the actual city here in CT. However, there are small cities with a "vibe" surrounding the "hub" (Hartford).

There is also the option of living in Dowtown Hartford...it's small city but the core has a nice little vibe going on. Hartford 21 comes to mind.

Other than that, Middletown, Manchester or West Hartford (West Hartford being first choice) would probably work for you.

Oh and I disagree totally with Hartford being a NYC suburb. Far from it. The city stands on it's own.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Bah, I said the state, as a whole, is considered a burb of NYC. There's the world known as New York City. It has three suburbs: Westchester, Connecticut, and Bloomfield, NJ.

/joke

Old 05-17-2010, 09:12 AM

418 posts, read 1,232,591 times
Depending on your comfort level I would check out places in Downtown Hartford (potentially "less safe") and West Hartford Center (preferably along Farmington Avenue near the center or towards the Hartford border. The West End of Hartford would get you near things to do as well but if you are the type of person very concerned with safety it might not be right for you.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM

90 posts, read 254,162 times
What about those apts next to City Steam? They look new and nice, and right in the center of DT.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 AM

3,323 posts, read 3,259,105 times
west hartford is your best bet. Safer, has a little downtown with shops and restaurants. However, this whole area is no place to be single. It's so family oriented.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
If you are going to work in Glastonbury, then I would not recommend living in West Hartford. Though very nice, living there would mean that you would have to commute through Hartford which would be a nightmare IMHO.

The first place I would recommend is Glastonbury itself. While it is primarily a suburban town, it does have a small downtown area with shops (including a Whole Foods) and restaurants and there are several apartment complexes within walking distance. It will generally be quite but it is attractive and safe.

The next closest would be Manchester. It also has a small downtown but it too can be considered quiet. For a little more nightlife, I would then recommend Middletown. It is the home of Weslayan University and it has a nice downtown with a lot of interesting shops and restaurants. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or