U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM

3,732 posts, read 8,516,447 times

Advertisements

Is there a website where I can look up property tax amounts for different addresses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM

511 posts, read 1,551,946 times
zillow

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM

24,612 posts, read 40,176,096 times
Are you looking for information on anything in particular. Many real estate company websites post taxes with their listings so you can get an idea of the taxes in a particular town. I like to use Prudential - CT Realty. Jay

Old 05-17-2010, 01:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,745,841 times
Zillow is notorious for being incorrect with school and property tax information, so I would not consider that a good source.

Some towns have online property tax websites, for example, Hartford and West Hartford. The town websites are almost always correct.

I would also caution against relying solely on real estate websites like Prudential or Raveis.com because those are sometimes incorrect too. The information comes from the MLS, which is auto calculated when the agent puts in a listing. Sometimes the auto calculate is incorrect, particularly if there is a phase in or some other quirk with the mill rate the system is using. You know the phrase, garbage in is garbage out. For example, West Hartford and East Hartford are always calculated incorrectly if the agent just uses the MLS auto calculate feature.

So, your best bet is to call the town hall to verify the taxes on any property you're really serious about. They'll give you the accurate amount for the current year, as well as if it's been paid up to date or not.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:59 PM

588 posts, read 1,627,720 times
One other thing to note is that several townships are starting to do appraisals again... So, in the immediate term your taxes might end up dropping a little. But, once the township realizes how much they will be losing in real estate tax revenue, they will undoubtedly raise the mill rate to compensate (or over-compensate), instead of reducing their expenses the amount htey are short.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 PM

181 posts, read 477,844 times
As Amy said, your besst bet would be to check the town website first. I know many towns are putting a lot of their information and files online, and the town would most likely have the most accurate tax amounts since it's the town that is charging the taxes. If the town doesn't have their information posted then realtor websites are probably your next most reliable and convenient online option.

I know for Groton they have their entire GIS system uploaded in a very user friendly interactive interface on the website. That system has all of the information on every property from the owner's name and contact information to their exact tax schedule, to pictures of the property, to even a copy of the deed sometimes. I'm not sure how many towns have systems like that, I haven't looked, but it is an incredibly powerful system.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM

418 posts, read 1,233,401 times
Interesting post on tax levels in Hartford-area towns, with rankings from various perspectives:
Greater Hartford Real Estate Blog Who Pays the Most Taxes in Hartford County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut