U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,117 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to CT from New York City this August. I will be commuting to Yale and he will be commuting to New York City. We would like to live within walking distance to a metro north station that is roughly midway between NYC and New Haven. We were thinking about stations like Stamford, Old Greenwich, Noroton Heights, Darien, or Rowayton but we are totally unfamiliar with any of the areas around each station. It is important that the neighborhood surrounding the train station be safe for us to walk through during the day and at night. We are also hoping to max out at 1500 a month on rent. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,442,317 times
Hi there,

There's a few options within your budget. You could spend $1,500 on a nice apartment in downtown New Haven. Just take a quick taxi or see if there's a bus line that can take you to the station. The station is really nice but it's not in the best area. Cabs run around the clock in that city - especially to and from the station. I know this b/c I've taken cabs from the NH station to parking lots when coming back from NYC.

Stamford is nice and there's plenty of apartments for rent (as well as condos and townhouses) but I dont' think you'll get a place within your budget there close to the station. You might, but it would probably be small. Stamford is one of the most expensive cities in the country to rent in.

You might also want to consider South Norwalk. There's a train station there that takes just over an hour to get to Grand Central. They've done some revitalization to Main Street and there's some really cool storefront restaurants and bars there. You might be able to find something for $1500/month there, though it may be small. As a rule, the closer you are to New York City the more expensive it gets. Just be careful - further off the beaten path in SN are some nasty areas - on Ely Avenue is a housing project you should avoid.

The other places you mentioned like Greenwich, Darien and Noroton Heights (which is partof Darien) do have train stops but it's mostly houses here and they will easily go for twice as much as your budget allows. So as they say in the city, FUHGETABOUTIT!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,232,748 times
You can find somewhat affordable housing near the train station in Milford, Stratford, Bridgeport (downtown), Fairfield, East Norwalk, South Norwalk, and Stamford (main station as well as Glenbrook and Springdale). Any of these would be good, but I think I'd start out with SoNo or East Norwalk. A quick way to check travel time and frequency is bettermetronorth.com

Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 PM

129 posts, read 348,209 times
You CAN live in Darien,Noroton Heights in a rental but in that price range you should be checking either the local papers,(darien times) or Criags List.Thats where you can find a few rentals that homeowners are looking to list and rent directly without a broker.Either of those statoions are ABSOLUTELY safe day or night.If you come across anything and have a street address,I can tell you about the street if you wish but youd be hard pressed to find problems here.Its mid point from Yale and NYC almost exactly too!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,047,313 times
I live in Greenwich and would highly recommend living here; people are very kind and our parks are extraordinary. There are 4 train stops in Greenwich, so you'll have a lot of different neighborhoods to choose from. Finding a 1BR around $1500 won't be too hard if you look at listings from the local paper. Visit CT House Hunter - CTHouseHunter.com - Your Local Real Estate Source for classified listings; you should be able to find something around your price range relatively close to a station. I would recommend against moving to Stamford or Norwalk if you will be regularly walking home from the train station after 8 PM; my co-workers who live in those cities have told me horror stories regarding things that have happened to them at the train stations at night.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM
rs1

38 posts, read 115,641 times
Stamford and South Norwalk will have the most options in terms of apartments within walking distance of the train. In both, you have to be careful of what exact area you choose, because a couple blocks in the wrong direction and you can find yourself in an unsafe area. However, choose wisely and you should have no trouble even at night. $1500 will just about get you a decent to good 1 bdrm in either locale.

I would think south of Stamford you start to get where the commute will be more tilted to NYC and more inconvenient for New Haven, especially as many trains from New Haven run express to NYC after Stamford (i.e., you would have to change trains in Stamford to go to Old Greenwich or Greenwich). Darien, Noroton Heights, and East Norwalk are well located, but there won't be many apartments there, but still might be worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or