U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

Hi guys:

My husband and I have just relocated from boston to CT. We are in the windsor locks area. We barely have no ideas of real estate market in that area. Is there any one can give us some ideas? We want to have a baby soon, so we need a house for us and grandparents, does anyone have some suggestions in this area? Where is a good community or place to hunt houses?

Many Thanks!

Elaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,861,515 times
Windsor Locks public schools certainly wouldn't be my first choice. I would look at homes in surrounding areas such as East Granby, Suffield and Windsor (Poquonock section) for good schools.
But since you have no children yet you could look in other areas and simply move before your child reaches school age.
If you need a realtor in the area let me know, as I know someone really well who is an expert in that specific area and has been for over 30 years.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 AM

24,688 posts, read 40,281,431 times
I too assume that your job is in the Windsor Locks area so you are looking for a home that is easily commutable to it. There are many nice towns in that area with good schools. I do agree that East Granby and Suffield are nice, not sure about Windsor's schools though. Check the websites below for information on schools in Connecticut. Generally I look for schools that perform above the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. I also look at class sizes as well. Other towns to consider would be Granby and Simsbury. Good luck, Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Thank you so much for all you advice. Since we do not have a child and we plan to have one once we get settle (have a house of our own). Our idea about the house is we want to find a safe and nice community for our child and the school is not a big concern since we plan to move to other good school district when our kid grows up. However, we might stay here till she/he goes to kindergarten, so I am kind of in dilema right now, anyone has some suggestions?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 PM

2,766 posts, read 8,861,515 times
I would look in the towns suggested with good schools (better for resale value anyway) and if you cant find what your looking for in your price range there, then look into some other communities such as Windsor Locks which tend to be cheaper and just plan on moving when the child reaches school age.
Or you could always consider private school as well.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 PM

418 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Rent for at least a year to get a feel for the area. Start going to open houses on the weekends to get a feel for the towns, and shop for a real estate agent. Eventually you will find a town and an agent that feels right and then you can start looking seriously.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 PM

Thank you so much for all the good advice. Very helpful.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 PM

164 posts, read 282,710 times
I would definitely recommend renting to someone who doesn't have kids and is new to an area. We moved to PA a couple of years back (and then moved back to CT), and I had tried to convince my wife to consider renting there. We have a daughter (now 11) and she was understandably worried about us renting in one town and getting her acclimated to a school, only to then move again. But it was very difficult going to a new state and trying to get a feel for the pros/cons of various towns by way of weekend trips house-hunting. It isn't until you're settled there day in and day out that you really get to see what you like/dislike about various towns.

That said, if you decide to buy, here's a sampling of what we used to help us decide on a town and I think it worked pretty well for us:
- Good school system (even if you don't have kids now and/or expect to move again later, as KH02 said, it will help with resale value)
- Low property taxes
- Proximity to work
- Proximity to shopping, entertainment, restaurants (whichever of those is important to you)
- Proximity to grocery stores that have what you need/like
- "Feel" of the area (e.g., quiet/country setting, or more urban area)
- Racial diversity (or lack thereof)

Right now, home values are pretty low and so are interest rates, so if you're in a good financial position to buy, it may not be a bad idea. I'm skeptical that home values will rebound (I would not be surprised to see them go even lower). But I'm also anticipating that inflation and loan interest rates will go up. My big concerns about home ownership are property taxes and home maintenance costs.

Seeing as you said that you don't have much experience with house hunting, please excuse me if I offend you by offering up what may seem like obvious suggestions, but just in case you truly know very little about this, here are some other suggestions:
- Check realtor.com and prudentialct.com to search for houses on your own
- Get a fixed rate mortgage. Don't get an ARM unless you know for certain that your only buying short-term (but if you're going that route, I really think you should just rent)
- If you haven't signed up with a realtor, you may want to research realtors who will give you a "kick back" of the 3% (or whatever) commission they get when you buy a house. This "kick back" could be up to 1% of the purchase price. Realtors from major realty companies will probably scoff at this, but if you do some online searching you can find people who do this.
- If you don't mind buying something that isn't in pristine condition, you may also want to look into foreclosures. You may need to use alternative sites/resources to find these.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,124 times
Windsor is a good place...it is moderately sized, close to Hartford but still has low crime. It also has many nice places to walk around and a nice downtown. It's schools are pretty decent for when you have children and it will be less expensive than towns like Glastonbury and South Windsor which tend to be a bit exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut