U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM

11 posts, read 12,367 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are thinking of moving to CT from FL. We currently live near Jacksonville fl it is horrible here. The crime rate is really bad, schools are horrible, it is almost impossible to find a well paying job. We are young and looking to enroll in school and start a family in a few years. We don't know much about CT yet but thought this may be a good way to find out a lot of information. Tell us anything. Obviously gay marriage is legal there but what is the overall populations view on it? accepting? or even tolerable would be better than here. We have heard that the school systems are amazing which would be helpful once we do have children. We also know that everything is a bit more expensive there but is it really that bad? What kind of jobs are available? We don't really fit in in the south our views, lifestyle, and beliefs are considered ridiculous here. How hard is it to move, and find a job? What is the price of an average 1-2 bedroom apartment? And, what city or town might be best for us? We would love to find a place in the outskirts of a city. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:26 AM

2,766 posts, read 8,845,068 times
The avg price for a 1-2 bedroom apt would depend on where in CT you want to live. Let's assume you DONT want to be in Fairfield County (near NYC) and the price would be somewhere around 900-1400 for a 1-2 bedroom.
Yes, CT is much more expensive then Florida, in every way.
Right now the economy is what it is. I certainly wouldn't move to CT without finding a job first, as that would likely be a mistake. Plenty of People who live here already are out of work, so it wouldn't make sense to move without a job in place.
While gay marriage is legal here, people in CT tend to be okay with it as long as you don't flaunt it or throw it in anyone's face. People in CT in general tend to keep to themselves as a general rule.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 AM

112 posts, read 207,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklove10 View Post
My fiance and I are thinking of moving to CT from FL. We currently live near Jacksonville fl it is horrible here. The crime rate is really bad, schools are horrible, it is almost impossible to find a well paying job. We are young and looking to enroll in school and start a family in a few years. We don't know much about CT yet but thought this may be a good way to find out a lot of information. Tell us anything. Obviously gay marriage is legal there but what is the overall populations view on it? accepting? or even tolerable would be better than here. We have heard that the school systems are amazing which would be helpful once we do have children. We also know that everything is a bit more expensive there but is it really that bad? What kind of jobs are available? We don't really fit in in the south our views, lifestyle, and beliefs are considered ridiculous here. How hard is it to move, and find a job? What is the price of an average 1-2 bedroom apartment? And, what city or town might be best for us? We would love to find a place in the outskirts of a city. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I can't tell you what the overall opinion in CT would be. However, coming from a family with more gay relatives than most (about 5 are lesbians and that's only one side of the family)....I happen to be very accepting as is the rest of my family. My gay relatives find a lot to do in CT and here is a link:
Hartford Gay Pride 2010 - Connecticut Gay Pride 2010 - New Haven Gay Pride 2010 - Connecticut Gay Pride Parade - Hartford Pride Festival 2010

A little way away from CT (depending on where you live) is Northhampton, MA which has a ton of things to do for gay couples. And also as a heterosexual myself, I LOVE it there!!! (And it's home to Smith College which is a GREAT college!)

Personally, about moving to CT...it IS pretty expensive. I would suggest looking online at rentals through an apartment search, look at the cost of real estate through a national website (or google for a local CT realtor site). Get some ideas in mind of places you would like to live that would be affordable to you or get an idea of how much you would have to make here for it to be affordable to you...then do a local job search. In CT it's better and increases your chance of finding a job if you have some sort of advanced degree but that is just my opinion. Look at the jobs and see what they require based on your education and experience. Also, when you find a town/area (or apartment if you are going to start out that way) call the local police department and ask about the safety of the neighborhood. All in all CT is generally a very low crime state...but does have some "not so nice" areas (Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport...etc). Also, visit the area before you decide to do anything and be prepared for the cold and snow!! Best of luck to you!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 AM

24,594 posts, read 40,159,475 times
I agree with KH02. You might want to concentrate your search to either the Hartford or New Haven areas which are generally more affordable and offer more job and educational opportunities. Both are very nice small cities with many great areas to live. Keep in mind that cities in Connecticut tend to be small in area and are surrounded by fiercely independent towns that serve as the city's suburbs. It sounds like you should be looking in these suburbs. I would also suggest you visit here to see if the area is to your liking. Jay

Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,203,970 times
Quote:
On a non personal note: No one will care what you do. I swear you can walk down the street kissing a monkey and no one will say anything....wait, I think that already happened.

On a personal note: I'm not a fan of homosexuality, it's not a secret on this forum. However, I also believe in people being free even if I don't agree with them. What I hope in return is you allow me the same freedom in return. You won't get any snarls or nasty stares from me, I'll hold a door for you, treat you with respect, have lunch, conversation whatever...until you try and force your views on me and my family. (Key word being "force") then I'll fight like a wildcat. Live and let live.

I guess over time I've been evolving into more of a Libertarian. There was a time I was against the government sanctioning "gay marriage"...but I've come realize I have a problem with the government being in the marriage business at all and that it's between them, their God and/or their church!

I say all that to give you one man's personal mindset rather than just say "It's a tollerant place" or something generic like that.

You'll do fine here, but as others have stated...have work lined up, and realize there are a lot of highly skilled people out of work here.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,817,051 times
As one of the gay people that Jviello will openly admit he likes (LOL), I actually think his sentiments are right on. No one cares. What you do is your business and your privacy will be respected. I have a HRC sticker on the back of my car and while it was the focus of frequent comments in Texas, never once here in CT. Of course there is some homophobia here (note KH's typical flaunting comment-- as if straight couples walking down the street holding hands are flaunting their sexuality...) but I have always found it to be a very accepting place.

People care more if you work hard, behave in a respectable manner, and are pleasant.

It is going to be more expensive than Florida, but there are bargains to be found... I live in Vernon, which is 15 minutes from Hartford. I rent a nice one bedroom condo for $885, with heat and oil included. All I pay is electric and cable. Check Craigslist, but don't get frustrated, look hard, as many of the places are in two and three family houses and are in vary conditions.

Good luck and welcome to Connecticut!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As one of the gay people that Jviello will openly admit he likes (LOL),
Hey, don't push it now!

J/K, you are correct.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
Quote:
First, congrats on your engagement.

An average 1-2 bedroom apartment will vary from extremely expensive in the southwestern portion of the state to relatively affordable in Northern and Eastern CT. You're probably looking at more of a 2-3 family home than a huge apartment/condo complex like you'll find in FL. How much did you want to spend on housing?

School systems are great if you can afford the suburbs. They are MUCH better than FL's schools, that's for sure. If you live in a city like New Haven or Hartford, you won't want to use public school once you get into middle schools.

Jobs are tricky now. While CT is doing much better than FL economically, and job availability IS getting better, we're still in a recession and they aren't plentiful. I know it's easier said than done, but make sure you have a job before you move here.

As for your lifestyle/beliefs, there are people here who would consider it ridiculous as well, but that's not the majority. While CT is very liberal and socially tolerant, it's also very traditional (mom, dad, 2.5 kids, dog) where you may get a few looks if you're holding hands with your partner - not out of rudeness, more out of curiosity since most of CT's 'burbs aren't diverse at all. You should be fine however. As JV said, nobody here really cares either way. People just go about their own business.

That said, I'd recommend you check out the New Haven area (Hamden, Orange, Branford). Lots of nice towns in an area with lots of culture. It will be much more affordable than southwestern CT.

Good luck

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM

11 posts, read 12,367 times
Thanks for all your feedback. Right now my fiance and i both just work food service jobs. I am a manager at a local pizza shop in florida. If we could find serious career jobs we would most certainly take them but for now we are just interested in whether or not we can afford to live there and get married so that we can have the benefits of married couples and go to college we are both looking to have more "artsy" careers i suppose. My fiance is going to attend school for photography and with no training at all and a crappy ancient camera she takes amazing photos. Is there availability in that? Thanks for all your help

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your feedback. Right now my fiance and i both just work food service jobs. I am a manager at a local pizza shop in florida. If we could find serious career jobs we would most certainly take them but for now we are just interested in whether or not we can afford to live there and get married so that we can have the benefits of married couples and go to college we are both looking to have more "artsy" careers i suppose. My fiance is going to attend school for photography and with no training at all and a crappy ancient camera she takes amazing photos. Is there availability in that? Thanks for all your help
Honestly, I think you would have a hard go at it without some kind of career job. Service industry jobs here do not pay that much more than FL. You can do it, just know you will be shut out of a lot of areas due to cost. Your best bet is to come visit and see if the "lower priced areas" jive with you. Maybe they will...I don't know.

Oh and just to comment on the bold above...Please don't take this the wrong way but many of us heterosexuals kind of laugh at the statement - Marriage brings many more challenges then benefits. So get ready for a wake up call. lol But I wouldn't change a thing if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or