U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,657,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
So what do you guys think about the vaunted Richard Blumenthals selective memory when it comes to his military service? His actual service amounted to fixing playground equipment, tents and delivering toys for tots ( at least a valuable deed, IMO).

This guy has no shame.

Who's he going to sue now??
He's a democrat. He's allowed to make a few "mistakes" (lies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:30 AM

5,549 posts, read 8,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
He lied about his military record.
He got caught and he apologized.
And...?

If you were to prosecute all of the people that lie about their military records you'd have to close down all of the VFW's, American Legions and assorted retirement homes around the US. Because most of their occupants would be in jail.

If he can do the job...and he doesn't get caught in any more lies...let him do it.
What job has he ever done? He's been AG for 20 years, and all he's done is sue people who create jobs, issue press releases, and puff up his own importance. Why would we expect better from him in the US Senate?

The point is -- with people like Blumenthal, it's all about using us to advance their own careers. It's never about doing what needs to be done to make the country better.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:38 PM

470 posts, read 962,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What job has he ever done? He's been AG for 20 years, and all he's done is sue people who create jobs, issue press releases, and puff up his own importance. Why would we expect better from him in the US Senate?

The point is -- with people like Blumenthal, it's all about using us to advance their own careers. It's never about doing what needs to be done to make the country better.
How do you make this country "better?"
Do you know?
If you having trouble thinking of ways to do it,why would you think that anybody running for Congress would do any better?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:24 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,232,825 times
Quote:
He lied about his military record.
He got caught and he apologized.
And...?

If you were to prosecute all of the people that lie about their military records you'd have to close down all of the VFW's, American Legions and assorted retirement homes around the US. Because most of their occupants would be in jail.

If he can do the job...and he doesn't get caught in any more lies...let him do it.
He lied about his military record - 5 times
He lied about being captain of the Harvard Swim team
He lied about taking PAC money (Said he would never ever and now is.)
He subverted our state legislation and wrote into law ON HIS OWN that no one doing business with the state could contribute to one of HIS opponents. (This BTW is at the supreme court 8 years later so it's not hearsay.)

There are four examples, there are more.

As the chief law enforcement officer in the state, yes I expect a little better record. If you are a snake as AG, you'll be an even bigger snake in Washington.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:23 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,839,050 times
However, the Republicans decided to run a wealthy candidate who's basically a total zero. If they had run a more competitive candidate, it's likely they would have won. Lot's of us, however, can't bring ourselves to vote for the one-dimensional first lady of wrestling.

I start with the idea that most politicians are in it for themselves...

Why have we got to a point where we cheer for political candidates and our parties like they were sports teams? The Yankees could totally screw the pooch, but I am not suddenly going to be a Red Sox fan... Perhaps a little more thought is due, and consideration when picking our political leaders...

I would vote for a republican against Blumenthal.. Just not THIS republican. I would have voted for Shays, I might have voted for Simmons, I would have voted for Jodi Rell for senate over Blumenthal. But sorry, Mrs. Vince McMahon is an embarssment.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,232,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
However, the Republicans decided to run a wealthy candidate who's basically a total zero. If they had run a more competitive candidate, it's likely they would have won. Lot's of us, however, can't bring ourselves to vote for the one-dimensional first lady of wrestling.

I start with the idea that most politicians are in it for themselves...

Why have we got to a point where we cheer for political candidates and our parties like they were sports teams? The Yankees could totally screw the pooch, but I am not suddenly going to be a Red Sox fan... Perhaps a little more thought is due, and consideration when picking our political leaders...

I would vote for a republican against Blumenthal.. Just not THIS republican. I would have voted for Shays, I might have voted for Simmons, I would have voted for Jodi Rell for senate over Blumenthal. But sorry, Mrs. Vince McMahon is an embarssment.
I don't totally disagree with you about Linda...but I'm just curious what makes her "no good" for you? Most of the Republicans you mentioned are not really conservative at all, and would be good democrates in more conservative states. Are you suggesting the Republicans should have run a liberal Republican like Jodi Rell to win votes from people like yourself? If so, I would disagree and point out that's what got the Republicans in trouble after y2k in the first place.

I'd like to see a politician simply be a person of integrity, hold to the constitution and the law and not play the game or have interesting becoming a lifetime career politician. Someone like George Washington would be nice.

Politics from the start of our country has been messy...sometimes that's okay. It's not perfect, but it's what we got and it's worked pretty good for a couple hundred years. Just look at the Cleveland Blaine campaign in 1884!

Old 05-30-2010, 05:27 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,839,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I don't totally disagree with you about Linda...but I'm just curious what makes her "no good" for you? Most of the Republicans you mentioned are not really conservative at all, and would be good democrates in more conservative states. Are you suggesting the Republicans should have run a liberal Republican like Jodi Rell to win votes from people like yourself? If so, I would disagree and point out that's what got the Republicans in trouble after y2k in the first place.

I'd like to see a politician simply be a person of integrity, hold to the constitution and the law and not play the game or have interesting becoming a lifetime career politician. Someone like George Washington would be nice.

Politics from the start of our country has been messy...sometimes that's okay. It's not perfect, but it's what we got and it's worked pretty good for a couple hundred years. Just look at the Cleveland Blaine campaign in 1884!
Linda McMahon is no good for me because she has no relevant experience and is just basically wealthy and looking for something to do... I am not a big fan of Charter Schools, and not for tax reductions at this juncture, all of which she supports. I don't like people who attempt to purchase elections. I didn't support Ned Lamont either-- even though I as living in Texas at the time.

There are certain issues that are litmus test issues for me and I won't support a candidate who does't feel the same way I do. I won't support a candidate who isn't pro-choice. I also won't support a candidate who doesn't strongly support the separation of church and state-- No prayer in school! I don't like candidates who support junk science to advance social causes... Basically, I don't do social conservatives. A fiscal conservative I could live with.

I agree that a politician should have integrity... However, all the political integrity in the world does me no good if I can't marry a person I love or my niece and nephew are being taught theology masquerading as science in public school..

Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 PM

5,549 posts, read 8,218,086 times
Quote:
How do you make this country "better?"
Do you know?
If you having trouble thinking of ways to do it,why would you think that anybody running for Congress would do any better?
You make the country better by telling voters the truth about the problems we face and what needs to be done to fix them. That means we must address our unfunded entitlements and the dangerous growth of debt, both public and private. We've been sweeping these problems under the rug for 30 years, and they're approaching the crisis stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or