U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,284,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
26 seconds in that turned into "since the days that I served in Vietnam...
I don't like Dick, i don't want Dick. But i think this play by McMahon and the Times is going to backfire. Am i the only one here questioning why a liberal rag like the Times would try to stir a controversy over a liberal Dem's misspeak? Something just smells funny about this one.

I hope Simmons or Schiff pull out the nomination because if they don't, McMahon is going to end up getting pounded by good old Dick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM

3,560 posts, read 2,716,286 times
I wasn't going to vote for him anyway. Actually, I've never voted for Dickie. He's very bad for business and is only interested in is ego.

What I think is very interesting though about this story is - why is a NEW YORK newspaper reporting on Conn politics? No newspaper in Conn questioned this? They had at least 7 years to break this story.

I think the Susan Bysikewisz story is just as funny. She's a fool that has been feeding at the public trough for years - sees an opening for a higher public office - doesn't have the requisite experience - yet still gives it a go.

LOL a lawyer who didn't pay dues to the bar association and never argued a case in a court room. Yea that's who I would like to be State's AG. Mite as well grab someone off the street.

I am very surprised her fellow lawyers didn't rubber stamp her approval to run for state AG. Lawyers are a nepotistic bunch.

BTW, does Susan have an office in downtown Middletown ? I've run into her at least 3 times during the last year on Court St.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,181,019 times
Quote:
Power and control Tetto. That's why. (If you notice, Blumenthal is a control FREAK - I bet he irons his socks and has them numbered and labled left and right...or pays someone to do it.) That tenant of our fallen nature as humans has not changed. Some people are power hungry and power sick. Our constitution has protected us from it for a long time, but it's getting hammered on pretty hard these days. The freedom from oppression we experience in this country is a blip in the history of the world and it's not the norm. Kingship, dictators, tyrants etc are the norm.

Latest news flash: One of the soldiers standing up with him at the VFW is also a fake. LOL

As Franklin said, "He that spits against the Wind, spits in his own Face" Someone might want to remind Dick of that.
Thats the dichotomy of the liberal stance; they want to confiscate our money and give it away, but just try to separate theirs from them and you've got a tiger by the tail! It makes me want to puke.

I think the people in this country are starting to wake up and see the elected ones for what they are- charlatans.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,836,623 times
You all probably know I am as liberal, progressive as they come.

This is indefensible. He should pack his bags and go home.

This will likely cost the dems this seat, which to me is another sad outcome of Blumenthal's transgressions.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,230,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You all probably know I am as liberal, progressive as they come.

This is indefensible. He should pack his bags and go home.

This will likely cost the dems this seat, which to me is another sad outcome of Blumenthal's transgressions.
For what it's worth, I would say the same thing about a conservative or Republican in the same position.

The latest John McCain add in AZ where he is "all tough on the border" makes me want to PUKE. The bottom line in that case is, they passed a law tough on immigration by a majority of the public, and now "John" is tough on immigration all of a sudden.

John could have been for open borders the whole time and I would respect him more if he had and ounce of integrity stuck to what he believed instead of what he thought would get him votes. Pathetic.

I'm interested in people of integrity who do what they say and say what they mean. Period. Hate him or love him Chris Christie in NJ is a good example of that.

Hot Air Video: Chris Christie destroys reporter for calling him confrontational

P.S. Thanks for being a person of integrity and calling a spade a spade even if it hurts what you believe in a political sense.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM

722 posts, read 1,703,700 times
If it was 1970 and he was walking down the street in a uniform, I'm pretty sure that non-military hippies would not know the difference between someone coming back and someone who wasn't there. I'd say give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is VERY different between the incident of the John Kerry campaign. John Kerry actually CAMPAIGNED on something that wasn't true. Mr. Blumenthal is being persecuted by the media for something he said in the past. Perhaps it wasn't completely truthful but he was the attorney general at the time and perhaps he was trying to forge solidarity with his clients-other veterans.

The only people who can be offended by these comments are those that are looking for a reason not to like Mr. Blumenthal. Can I ask if those of you upset about these comments are disregarding his service? Because that would be wrong; many people enlist in peacetime that would never enlist in wartime.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Perhaps it wasn't completely truthful but he was the attorney general at the time and perhaps he was trying to forge solidarity with his clients-other veterans.
So, if your girlfriend said she didn't sleep with that "dude" but you later found out she gave him a BJ, you'd be okay with that even if she was "technically correct"?

Welcome to the conversation beyond a college campus mindset.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM

164 posts, read 282,710 times
My problem on this issue with Blumenthal (and people like him: Clinton, Bush Jr., Rush Limbaugh) is that they all did their best to either avoid getting drafted and/or do things in such a way as to "join up" but [hopefully] ensure that their lives would not be at risk, only to then pretend later in their lives/careers that they are pro-military and to be unflinching in their resolve to commit other young people (who come from non-connected families which can't work the angles the way they did) to become cannon-fodder.

I am an anti-war/anti-military Christian (something of a rarity these days, it seems). I can appreciate that Blumenthal did not want to die in Viet Nam when he was younger. I can even sympathize with his desire to avoid outright refusing a possible draft (and risk jail time and endanger his future career) and, instead, choosing to voluntarily enlist into something that someone may have convinced him would "keep him out of combat." I would prefer that he instead have had the attitude that the war was immoral and be a conscientious objector. But even if he lacked the maturity/morality to go that route back then, any respect I could possibly afford him now would be based on how he addresses the current military situation today. Given his past situation, and assuming that he never evolved into being sincerely anti-war, the only respectable approach he could take in mind would be to avoid talking about it altogether and/or going out of his way to mention (whenever the topic came up) that he personally was never *in* Viet Nam.

But no. From where I'm standing he's a weasel. He was a weasel then in the way he went about avoiding being enlisted and for the reasons he did so (i.e., out of fear and self-interest, not out of a particular moral stance), and he's a bigger weasel now that he's not the least bit hesitant to get a bunch of vets to stand behind him while he counts himself among them using very dramatic language so as to pull on people's heart-strings in hopes of using that emotionalism to get himself elected to an even higher paying tax-feeder office.

I hope he goes down in flames, but I also hope that Schiff, and not McMahon, benefits from it.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:51 PM

Oh goodness, it just keeps getting worse for ol Dick.
"I wore the uniform in Vietnam and many came back to all kinds of disrespect. Whatever we think of war, we owe the men and women of the armed forces our unconditional support."

The occasion was the Stamford Veterans Day parade Nov. 9, 2008.

The speaker was Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, as quoted by The Advocate.

A trove of potential bulletin board material was unearthed Tuesday by Hearst Connecticut Newspapers from its archives quoting the once seemingly unflappable U.S. Senate candidate on his military record, one that he has been accused of embellishing.

During a May 18, 2009, military board tribute to veterans in Shelton, Blumenthal was quoted by the Connecticut Post as saying, "When we returned from Vietnam, I remember the taunts, the verbal and even physical abuse we encountered."

A year later at a Stratford Memorial Day event covered by the Post, Blumenthal dropped the "we" reference but didn't go out of his way to say that he never went to Vietnam.

"I am called general all the time in my role, but the highest rank I will ever have in life is as a sergeant in the United States Marines," said Blumenthal, who went on to comment how tough it was for veterans of the unpopular conflict to return to "taunts and jeers."
Critics weigh Blumenthal's words - NewsTimes

We went from one misspeak, to two now we are up to FIVE and I'm SURE newpapers etc are now combing their archives to see if there are more.

So we have five times so far he lied to the public about his military service.

We have him ON RECORD saying he would never take PAC money...yet now he's taking it.

He lied about being captain of the swim team.

I'm not even going to get into what I feel are dishonest practices in his office as AG. I don't think I have to. He's drowning in his own words right now.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,181,019 times
Quote:
Oh goodness, it just keeps getting worse for ol Dick.
"I wore the uniform in Vietnam and many came back to all kinds of disrespect. Whatever we think of war, we owe the men and women of the armed forces our unconditional support."

The occasion was the Stamford Veterans Day parade Nov. 9, 2008.

The speaker was Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, as quoted by The Advocate.

A trove of potential bulletin board material was unearthed Tuesday by Hearst Connecticut Newspapers from its archives quoting the once seemingly unflappable U.S. Senate candidate on his military record, one that he has been accused of embellishing.

During a May 18, 2009, military board tribute to veterans in Shelton, Blumenthal was quoted by the Connecticut Post as saying, "When we returned from Vietnam, I remember the taunts, the verbal and even physical abuse we encountered."

A year later at a Stratford Memorial Day event covered by the Post, Blumenthal dropped the "we" reference but didn't go out of his way to say that he never went to Vietnam.

"I am called general all the time in my role, but the highest rank I will ever have in life is as a sergeant in the United States Marines," said Blumenthal, who went on to comment how tough it was for veterans of the unpopular conflict to return to "taunts and jeers."
Critics weigh Blumenthal's words - NewsTimes

We went from one misspeak, to two now we are up to FIVE and I'm SURE newpapers etc are now combing their archives to see if there are more.

So we have five times so far he lied to the public about his military service.

We have him ON RECORD saying he would never take PAC money...yet now he's taking it.

He lied about being captain of the swim team.

I'm not even going to get into what I feel are dishonest practices in his office as AG. I don't think I have to. He's drowning in his own words right now.
He's doing a better hit job on himself than the original NYT article! He tried desperately to show he's just "one of the jar-heads" and came off looking like a stumbling fool. My dad was a Marine for 8 years, didn't see combat, but went to the places where things were very tense...I don't want to repeat here what he thinks of the rich boy turned tough guy marine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or