U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM

5,541 posts, read 8,208,696 times

Advertisements

I could never stand Blumenthal. He's never been anything more than a self-promoting blowhard. He's done nothing but aggrandize himself on the taxpayer's time for the entire 20 years he has held his useless post. He never had the guts to take on anybody who had a chance of winning for a higher level job. Now he expects to walk into the US Senate with no effort, just as he did with the AG job. I hope we can Martha Coakley him.

Last edited by dazzleman; 05-20-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,342,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
mr. Blumenthal is being persecuted by the media for something he said in the past. Perhaps it wasn't completely truthful but he was the attorney general at the time and perhaps he was trying to forge solidarity with his clients-other veterans.
That is not an excuse for lying about being in combat!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM

723 posts, read 1,788,862 times
Blumenthal knew the right thing. He didn't do it.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:57 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,547,076 times
He has my vote.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,288,600 times
While I don't like the guy too much, the backlash against him seems a little contrived especially in this situation. Yes he misspoke, and yes he didn't keep a keen eye on what the press was saying about him and while both are bad in themselves and need to be corrected by him and/or his staff the rage at him doesn't fit the crime. If he said "yes, I served in Vietnam" when asked point blank about his service better believe I would call for him to be raked over the fire. Colin McEnroe did a survey of his peers and pieced together that his war service, whatever that was, was not part of the personal narrative they were familiar with. Hell, I try to keep up on local politics and when I saw the NYT headline even I pulled a "Wait, he was in Vietnam? Is that a thing?" I mean the man talks for a living, all day every day and things are bound to get mangled.

I think lying in a politician is worst when its' hypocritical and hilarious: like if a pol built his public persona over tales of adventure from the orient or pandering comments about sanctity of marriage when he never left his front stoop or having an affair with a intern/rent boy, respectively. Every party in the world has those jerks. For there to be an issue for me there has to be context, intent, maliciousness, and consistency. This story only has context and maybe intent. Maybe.

Frankly I think this round of senatorial candidates is rather weak. I was only leaning towards Blummie because it looked like McMahon was creeping towards the GOP spot, and Schiff is either a dunce or a sociopath and neither vibes with me. But being the member of a democracy it is my duty to choose between what I feel is the lesser of two evils.

~Cheers

Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM

113 posts, read 286,302 times
Has anybody read the editorial in the WSJ today? It knocks Dicky for his so called arrogance saying he mispoke however his record as a AG is dismal. He says he creates jobs with his lawsuits. What a juxaposition suing will create jobs? This is why we are on the bottom of the favorable business rating in the U.S. He sued the utilities to give us the 2nd highest electric bills in the U.S. We have the 4th highest medical costs in the U.S. because of his relationships with the trial attorneys.

He is only A.G. to get failing grades in using his office to promote personal gains (when is there not a night you don't see him on tv?). He fabricates the law by asking courts to rewrite the law and stretch the norms of the constitution. He sues individuals or entities for his exposure when it falls under other states or the Feds (AIG is one example). He also likes to regulate conduct in other states. WSJ 5/21/2010 pg A14.

The Cato Institue gavehim the worst A.G. in the nation.

He refused to indict DODD yet he indict and sues everybody. It could be argued he was after the Dem nomination for the senate?

I am a veteran: retired officer of the Army active and reserves.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,179,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
While I don't like the guy too much, the backlash against him seems a little contrived especially in this situation.

While I agree a little bit with your above analysis, so what? The guy is absolutely the worst AG in the country. At least Spitzer put bad guys away, this clown just runs business out of town. Ask Pratt and Whitney how they feel about good ol Dickie...This guy need to be brought down hard and put out of public office where he cant do any harm.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM

5,541 posts, read 8,208,696 times
I had no intention of voting for him even before this.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM

24,669 posts, read 40,256,063 times
All I know is that they could run a monkey against Linda McMahon and I still would not vote for her. Her smug response when asked if this story came from her made me sick. It is dirty politics at its worst and she is the dirtiest. I am not a fan of Blumenthal but I hate when someone words get turned around by the media. It looks like he is still the front runner. It will be an interesting race to say the least. Jay

Old 05-22-2010, 07:11 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Yes he misspoke...I mean the man talks for a living,
1. Hi lied. Not misspoke, and I won't accept any other redefining of the word. Sorry.

2. I though he was the AG, not a public speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
Has anybody read the editorial in the WSJ today? It knocks Dicky for his so called arrogance saying he mispoke however his record as a AG is dismal. He says he creates jobs with his lawsuits. What a juxaposition suing will create jobs? This is why we are on the bottom of the favorable business rating in the U.S. He sued the utilities to give us the 2nd highest electric bills in the U.S. We have the 4th highest medical costs in the U.S. because of his relationships with the trial attorneys.

He is only A.G. to get failing grades in using his office to promote personal gains (when is there not a night you don't see him on tv?). He fabricates the law by asking courts to rewrite the law and stretch the norms of the constitution. He sues individuals or entities for his exposure when it falls under other states or the Feds (AIG is one example). He also likes to regulate conduct in other states. WSJ 5/21/2010 pg A14.

The Cato Institue gavehim the worst A.G. in the nation.

He refused to indict DODD yet he indict and sues everybody. It could be argued he was after the Dem nomination for the senate?

I am a veteran: retired officer of the Army active and reserves.
Batter up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
While I agree a little bit with your above analysis, so what? The guy is absolutely the worst AG in the country. At least Spitzer put bad guys away, this clown just runs business out of town. Ask Pratt and Whitney how they feel about good ol Dickie...This guy need to be brought down hard and put out of public office where he cant do any harm.
Over the fence! A one-two run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
All I know is that they could run a monkey against Linda McMahon and I still would not vote for her. Her smug response when asked if this story came from her made me sick. It is dirty politics at its worst and she is the dirtiest. I am not a fan of Blumenthal but I hate when someone words get turned around by the media. It looks like he is still the front runner. It will be an interesting race to say the least. Jay
Jay, I hear you and I'm not a big fan of hers either. But I would like to point out a couple things you might not have thought of.

Dity politics is making claims that are hard to prove, or slanderous in nature. Things like "IS Dick REALLY a good dad" blah blah blah.

This was exposing a candidate for what and who he is. That's different IMO. So her office broke the story. Big deal. I'm looking at the message and not the messenger. Same thing as her add pointing out that he said he would NEVER EVER take PAC money...but now has a few hundred grand of it. That's not dirty, that's truth.

2. I don't think the media spun this one. The guys words are his words. And it wasn't a one time thing. There are 5 examples of it so far. That's no accident IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or