U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 PM

1,934 posts, read 3,185,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Tetto, my life did change quite a bit. I took a significant pay cut and even worked pro bono hours with the company just to help keep it afloat. And trust is returning, in the macroeconomic manner. Beyond that, not really but I am not the nation. And while we're on the subject Connecticut weathered the storm way better than most, but not quite as good as some. That said, just because you didn't see the danger doesn't mean it wasn't there; most of the richie richies were scared poo-less over the failure of AIG and the possibility of Goldman Sachs to fold. It was serious business, and maybe it wouldn't be end of the world, the credit markets were very close to freezing completely.

~Cheers
Goldman Sachs fold? Not likely Goldman Sachs profit soars 90%; firm downplays government's fraud lawsuit - Los Angeles Times. I hear you on the credit markets, unless you have a job, can pay a mortgage and are actually willing to put down 20% on said mortgage, see ya! People cant have their cake and eat it anymore. Neither can the bankers that bet the people were going to do dumb things (which they did). We must travel back in time and do business the old fashioned way where you actually have to have money to buy something. Cash is king. (I'm sorry you were affected, that sucks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,247,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
All I know is that they could run a monkey against Linda McMahon and I still would not vote for her. Her smug response when asked if this story came from her made me sick. It is dirty politics at its worst and she is the dirtiest. I am not a fan of Blumenthal but I hate when someone words get turned around by the media. It looks like he is still the front runner. It will be an interesting race to say the least. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
110% correct.

I could care less who goes to Washington…but Linda McMahon tries (like every politician) to hoodwink the masses that she’s a fresh face, something new, honest…etc. She is as low as the rest of them. SHE and her cronies tipped off the media, that’s what politicians do when their trailing in the polls – get some dirt on your opponent. Who knows…it might backfire…people might vote for Blumenthal just for the dirty politics.

Politicians spend about 85% of their time trying to destroy their opponents…and the 15% of the time attending to real public service for the people. Then we wonder why nothing gets done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
McMahon isn't really even a Republican (for you Republicans out there who seem to care). She's financially supported several Democrats in the not-so-distant past. I suspect that she was recruited to prevent Schiff from gaining too much traction. Her anxiousness to claim responsibility for (and gloat about) this Blumenthal situation was timed to ensure that she'd get some extra votes for the Republican nomination. But it may also cost her the general election against Blumenthal since many Democrats will hate her even more because of it. But she won't care, since she's not running to win, just running to make sure that Schiff (who could appeal to Republicans, Democrats, and independents) doesn't.

A popular quote is "Ron Paul cured my apathy." That was true for me during his run. But I'm even more apathetic now. Another famous quote (I believe most earliest attributed to Emma Goldman) which more accurately represents my current feelings on the matter is, "If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal."
So are you good folks about to recant your statments and apologize to McMahon?
Bill Keller, the executive editor, said, “The idea that the story originated or was sold to us by the McMahon campaign is just plain false.” He did not dispute Patru’s account but said a number of people were circulating video snippets, including McMahon’s campaign. “We did not rely on that material,” he said. Instead, he said, The Times obtained a DVD of the entire speech from a source not in McMahon’s campaign. Carolyn Ryan, the editor who handled the story, said technical experts made sure the DVD had not been doctored.
The Public Editor - The Candidate and the War - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Tetto, my life did change quite a bit. I took a significant pay cut and even worked pro bono hours with the company just to help keep it afloat. And trust is returning, in the macroeconomic manner. Beyond that, not really but I am not the nation. And while we're on the subject Connecticut weathered the storm way better than most, but not quite as good as some. That said, just because you didn't see the danger doesn't mean it wasn't there; most of the richie richies were scared poo-less over the failure of AIG and the possibility of Goldman Sachs to fold. It was serious business, and maybe it wouldn't be end of the world, the credit markets were very close to freezing completely.

~Cheers
Honestly, I think you might be a hack plant. No offense and if I'm wrong, so be it.

But your words are too "gee golly, I lost my job too but I'm working for free, I hope this GREAT administrations plan comes through so my efforts are worth it - so long as the evil Bush people don't ruin it"

Just my spidey sense kicking in...my bad.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 PM

164 posts, read 283,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Huh? So what's all this about, then?
McMahon Admits to Tipping Times on Story | NBC Connecticut

Quote:
On Wednesday evening, Linda McMahon, his Republican opponent, spoke for the first time about the controversy and admitted that her campaign that provided the New York Times with the story about Blumenthal.
"I can tell you we had some research, we shared it, and I we think accomplished the story, " she said.
Personally, I think it's great that someone got a newspaper to write about this. It's certainly pretty pathetic that no journalist thought to check into these things in the past. Based on what I've read over the last couple of weeks, it sounds like others knew about and thought about Blumenthal's creative application of the truth on this issue before, so why weren't they speaking up or writing about it years ago?

Another great story to bring front and center two days before the Republicans chose McMahon might have been a story about how she donated $10,000 to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in 2006. I suspect a big push on that info might have helped Schiff. Yes, that info has already been public for a while, but it's all about timing and exposure. On the latter point, I suspect that a lot of her supporters would be shocked to hear about it.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 AM

87 posts, read 190,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
So what do you guys think about the vaunted Richard Blumenthals selective memory when it comes to his military service? His actual service amounted to fixing playground equipment, tents and delivering toys for tots ( at least a valuable deed, IMO).

This guy has no shame.

Who's he going to sue now??
This guy is nothing but a liar IMHO. Funny how when elected officials are caught not telling the truth they are mis spoken? Just like Hillary Clinton when she was running for president and talked about getting off a plane in the middle east under heavy gun fire.(never happened) If I got off a plane under heavy gun fire that would be someting I would remember happened or not.

He reminds me of the ex gov of NY with the prostitutes, says one thing and does another.
Its only a matter of time before this guy is caught with his pants down, maybe he will wait until he gets to DC.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,247,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
You didn't read the article I linked too did you?

Let me requote it with a preceeding sentance.
McMahon’s spokesman, Ed Patru, told me that the campaign provided the reporter, Raymond Hernandez, with a copy of the video but that Hernandez initiated the story.

Bill Keller, the executive editor, said, “The idea that the story originated or was sold to us by the McMahon campaign is just plain false.” He did not dispute Patru’s account but said a number of people were circulating video snippets, including McMahon’s campaign. “We did not rely on that material,” he said. Instead, he said, The Times obtained a DVD of the entire speech from a source not in McMahon’s campaign. Carolyn Ryan, the editor who handled the story, said technical experts made sure the DVD had not been doctored.
So there you have it. McMahon provided a copy of the video - what they didn't know was Hernandez was already working on it and they already had their own DVD of the entire speech.

I don't see any double talk. I see the story broke, one of McMahon's people supplied a video, and perhaps assumed that was the smoking gun the NYT needed. A little further explanation reveals it all.

Now Bloomers on the other hand...no excuse. None.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:25 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,185,285 times
Quote:
You didn't read the article I linked too did you?

Let me requote it with a preceeding sentance.
McMahon’s spokesman, Ed Patru, told me that the campaign provided the reporter, Raymond Hernandez, with a copy of the video but that Hernandez initiated the story.

So there you have it. McMahon provided a copy of the video - what they didn't know was Hernandez was already working on it and they already had their own DVD of the entire speech.

I don't see any double talk. I see the story broke, one of McMahon's people supplied a video, and perhaps assumed that was the smoking gun the NYT needed. A little further explanation reveals it all.

Now Bloomers on the other hand...no excuse. None.
I hope Blumenthal reads this thread to get a small sample of how he's viewed in CT! I suspect he's aware of it anyway...

Old 05-23-2010, 08:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,291,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Goldman Sachs fold? Not likely Goldman Sachs profit soars 90%; firm downplays government's fraud lawsuit - Los Angeles Times. I hear you on the credit markets, unless you have a job, can pay a mortgage and are actually willing to put down 20% on said mortgage, see ya! People cant have their cake and eat it anymore. Neither can the bankers that bet the people were going to do dumb things (which they did). We must travel back in time and do business the old fashioned way where you actually have to have money to buy something. Cash is king. (I'm sorry you were affected, that sucks).
I'm not disagreeing with you on principals, I agree with you certainly on consumer credit needing to be tighter and the Goldman right now gamed the system with bad results. Goldman Sachs though was in serious trouble because it was counterparty to AIG with heavy exposure, and the bailout of AIG was largely a bailout of Goldman (that was the a good part of the fear).

But in the credit markets, I think it needs to go both ways: consumers need to have more collateral and the investment banks have to become private corporations again and not use people investment in their stock as gamblin' money. And again, a lot of the housing crisis was caused by spec housing that never sold, credit card debt on the other hand...

JV, I wish I were a hack, they get paid. I actually didn't benefit directly from the jobs bill or anything like that (I got a second part time job, which I love) but I kept up on current events and being a student of history (political and economic) I was actually pretty uneasy. I went on with my life, no doubt, but it was tough from time to time. I also had an inordinate amount of fun, so everything balances out haha. I'm actually a Republican, but a old-style New England Republican a rare species these days it seems.

Again about Blumenthal: I think it would've been more genuine of the NYT to explain the earlier part of the tape they provided. I really don't know, I guess part of this is my reaction to McMahon which I know isn't good but still is happening.

~Cheers

Old 05-23-2010, 07:53 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,841,974 times
As if I needed another reason to be a misanthrope, I decided to read this topic.

We're getting what we paid for with our choice of politicians. Cheating, backstabbing, greedy, pathological liars who don't give a flying (expletive here) about you or the good of society.

Do you really think Linda McMahon is any good for the country? Richard Blumenthal? I certainly don't. But well, this is what you get when the media and corporate interests backing it decides to make a two party system so hyperactively charged ... that all anything matters is defeating the other side and spending oodles of money to try and control the other.

Dance little puppets dance. Pretend like any of this (expletive here) means something.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:04 PM

5,550 posts, read 8,228,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
As if I needed another reason to be a misanthrope, I decided to read this topic.

We're getting what we paid for with our choice of politicians. Cheating, backstabbing, greedy, pathological liars who don't give a flying (expletive here) about you or the good of society.

Do you really think Linda McMahon is any good for the country? Richard Blumenthal? I certainly don't. But well, this is what you get when the media and corporate interests backing it decides to make a two party system so hyperactively charged ... that all anything matters is defeating the other side and spending oodles of money to try and control the other.

Dance little puppets dance. Pretend like any of this (expletive here) means something.
I'm afraid I find it hard to disagree with you.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 PM

24,738 posts, read 40,355,949 times
Quote:
The Public Editor - The Candidate and the War - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

Honestly, I think you might be a hack plant. No offense and if I'm wrong, so be it.

But your words are too "gee golly, I lost my job too but I'm working for free, I hope this GREAT administrations plan comes through so my efforts are worth it - so long as the evil Bush people don't ruin it"

Just my spidey sense kicking in...my bad.
No JViello, I am not ready to recant. The fact is that Linda McMahon took credit for this and as I noted in my post, I did not like the way she responded to the question. She smiled and smugly said she did. Whether the Times was going to print the article already or not, she was involved and probably would have used it at some point anyway. That is what I don't like about her. Where is a monkey when you need one? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or