U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 8,996 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new to the forum (and to CT), but I have been reading some insightful posts here lately. Would gladly appreciate some advice on my situation.

I'm 26 and starting a job by Hartford Hospital next month. I'm originally from Long Island with family in NYC, so I am aware of the pros and cons of suburban and urban life. I hope to get either a studio or 1 BR in the range of $800 to $1100.

From what I've gathered on this forum, Hartford is a small city with good (safe) areas only a block or two away from bad ones, therefore it may not be easy to distinguish what type of area you live in. I've been told by my employer to stay away from areas near the hospital and near the north. I've also been told that west end, West Hartford, downtown and the surrounding townships (Manchester, New Britain) are generally good areas to rent. Are these assessments correct?

So far, I've checked out three places and would gladly appreciate any comments about them (safety issues, pest problems, thin walls, nice parks nearby, demographic of tenants, public transportation, etc..):

1.) Clemens Place on Farmington: I got the vibe that it may be a glorified dorm (tons of college students, perhaps?), but the surrounding area is not so bad.

2.) Adrian's Tower/ 360 Main St.: Lots of senior citizens; closets looked like they were about to collapse; hallways seemed hazy/smoky.

3.) Colt Gateway/ 140 Huyshope Ave: Exterior looked beaten down, but the actual units were very, very nice. Not sure what part of town this is, but the area looked very quiet. So quiet that I'm not sure there was a store, cafe, or market within a 5 minute walking distance. There's supposed to be a lot of development in that area in the future, but it looks like that may take a long time since a previous thread mentioned it took a long time for these units to be built.

Any other places worth considering?

Also, what does the 30-and-under crowd do during the weekends? I've read a few posts and even articles admitting that downtown is a ghost down Saturdays and Sundays. Does everyone just go to Boston, NYC, or New Haven?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,444,712 times
I'm sending you a DM with some in-depth info re: your questions.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 AM

1,292 posts, read 2,082,444 times
"Colt Gateway/ 140 Huyshope Ave: Exterior looked beaten down, but the actual units were very, very nice. Not sure what part of town this is, but the area looked very quiet. So quiet that I'm not sure there was a store, cafe, or market within a 5 minute walking distance. There's supposed to be a lot of development in that area in the future, but it looks like that may take a long time since a previous thread mentioned it took a long time for these units to be built."

you're right about the exterior of the apartment building - never understood why they haven't at least fixed that up and made it look more presentable given that people actually live there and all. i used to work in the building next door to the apt's (very nicely renovated) in 2007 and there was supposed to be some renovations done back then to the rest of the complex but it never happened while i was there.
the Colt complex itself is in the south end of Hartford in a not particularly great area. it's enough off the beaten path that CT Transit bus service is non-existent. there's also not a lot of eateries, etc within walking distance as you mentioned. i used to have to drive to/park on Arch St to visit the Cornerstone deli (Main St). the only thing you could really walk to was the public cafeteria in the 'candy-cane' (white) building which is on Columbus Blvd. still at least a 10 min walk though.

have you tried Trumbull on the Park or Hartford 21? they are right in downtown near the civic center and close to other restaurants on Asylum, State House Sq, etc.

Last edited by Slipperman; 05-22-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks, Slipperman.

Perhaps I got a different impression, so thank you for your input.
When I visited the Colt, I saw a few people walking towards the park with their dogs, and the only other traffic I saw were school buses. This left me with the impression that people only enter this area for the schools, park, or work since there's no retail in the area.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM

8,833 posts, read 14,243,009 times
Manchester and New Britain, like Hartford, have their good and bad areas. Of the two I'd say Manchester is nicer than New Britain overall. I was in the Hartford area for something temporary last summer for 2 1/2 months and rented a room on the Vernon/Manchester border.

West end of Hartford has some nice parts (and by what you're used to in LI, pretty cheap) and West Hartford is very nice (and pretty lively), though fairly expensive to live in (though not by Long Island standards). Good luck!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,437,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ime_ny View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forum (and to CT), but I have been reading some insightful posts here lately. Would gladly appreciate some advice on my situation.

I'm 26 and starting a job by Hartford Hospital next month. I'm originally from Long Island with family in NYC, so I am aware of the pros and cons of suburban and urban life. I hope to get either a studio or 1 BR in the range of $800 to $1100.

From what I've gathered on this forum, Hartford is a small city with good (safe) areas only a block or two away from bad ones, therefore it may not be easy to distinguish what type of area you live in. I've been told by my employer to stay away from areas near the hospital and near the north. I've also been told that west end, West Hartford, downtown and the surrounding townships (Manchester, New Britain) are generally good areas to rent. Are these assessments correct?

So far, I've checked out three places and would gladly appreciate any comments about them (safety issues, pest problems, thin walls, nice parks nearby, demographic of tenants, public transportation, etc..):

1.) Clemens Place on Farmington: I got the vibe that it may be a glorified dorm (tons of college students, perhaps?), but the surrounding area is not so bad.

2.) Adrian's Tower/ 360 Main St.: Lots of senior citizens; closets looked like they were about to collapse; hallways seemed hazy/smoky.

3.) Colt Gateway/ 140 Huyshope Ave: Exterior looked beaten down, but the actual units were very, very nice. Not sure what part of town this is, but the area looked very quiet. So quiet that I'm not sure there was a store, cafe, or market within a 5 minute walking distance. There's supposed to be a lot of development in that area in the future, but it looks like that may take a long time since a previous thread mentioned it took a long time for these units to be built.

Any other places worth considering?

Also, what does the 30-and-under crowd do during the weekends? I've read a few posts and even articles admitting that downtown is a ghost down Saturdays and Sundays. Does everyone just go to Boston, NYC, or New Haven?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
I don't know how much they rent for, but have you looked into the apartments in Blueback Square (in West Hartford)? You'll have retail galore, as soon as you walk out the door of your building.

ETA: Oops! I found the price list. You're better off buying a house and paying that same amount as your mortgage.

Blue Back Square | Live Here | Apartment

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-22-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 PM

1,292 posts, read 2,082,444 times
"Perhaps I got a different impression, so thank you for your input"

it is fairly quiet (and safe) during the day but still kind of slummy - not an area i would want to walk through at night.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:51 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,265,843 times
If you want safe, rent something in West Hartford. The center/Blue Back Square is hopping every night, and you don't have to worry about safety. Let's put it this way - it's news if someone gets mugged in West Hartford center, it's so unusual.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,233,150 times
You could also check out the offerings of this company:
Apartmentsinhartford.com - The Best Apartments in Hartford - Finding apartments in hartford has never been easier with apartmentsinhartford.com
I believe they are all recently renovated but the surroundings differ for each of their buildings (the less gentrified the area, the lower the price, but they are all near things to do).

Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM

Thank you everyone for the input!

I stopped by Blue Black Square the other day. Very nice area, but the apartment prices are definitely out of my range.

Slipperman, is the Colt area slummy b/c Colt Park has an unsafe reputation? The way I see it, if there's no place to walk within a 5-10 mins of the building, then it's a safe area b/c you'll never walk out at night!! Unless of course you mean that it's unsafe to just walk to your car at night.

As for the outside towns, is there public transportation into Hartford? If not, how bad is traffic into the hub?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or