U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 03:14 PM

67 posts, read 162,691 times

Advertisements

hey does anyone have any recommendations for thai food in the greater hartford area. where i go to college there is a wonderful thai place that has several different kinds of soft shell crab and several different kinds of pad thai(not just different meats, but different kinds of noodles). I haven't been able to find a place like that back at home. What are your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 PM

16,239 posts, read 25,501,707 times
Oh! Oh! Oh!

We used to like King & I Thai on Park Rd in Hartford (near the West Hartford border, on the Hartford side off Prospect Ave) but since it changed ownership, it's gone downhill. I guess they changed chefs too. It was a great little hole-in-the-wall once upon a time.

Siam Cuisine (on the West Hartford side of Park Rd., on the other side of Prospect) also used to be good, but it's been fair-to-midling recently.

Thai Palace in Bloomfield puts red onion in all their dishes and that just ruins it for me. I like red onion but it just doesn't jive, if you know what I mean.

OK, so you want a recommendation now? A good one? OK! East-West Grille at 526 New Park Road in West Hartford. Oh my gosh, the Thai goodness. Never mind Pad Thai, although I'm sure it's good there. The Pad See Ew is terrific there. But if you want exceptional -- go for the Drunken Noodles (with shrimp). It's FANTASTIC!

By the way, you can get a restaurant.com coupon for East-West Grille so that you get $25 off when you order $35 worth of food.

If you go there, let me know how you liked it! We LOVE it there.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-23-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-23-2010, 03:48 PM

I just thought of another, also on New Park Rd. Thai Basil. We haven't been in a while. The portions are smaller than others I've seen (same goes for Thai Palace in Bloomfield). And along with the smaller portion is the bigger price tag for some reason. I think it's because they have nicer plates that they serve on.

I'd still recommend East-West Grille over any of the others, though. I really want Drunken Noodles now. Really. Now.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 PM

2,067 posts, read 2,323,971 times
Lemon Grass in West Hartford Center is pretty good...although several of the dishes we order (vegetarian) tend to resemble Chinese rather than Thai. Good ambience and service too.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Lemon Grass in West Hartford Center is pretty good...although several of the dishes we order (vegetarian) tend to resemble Chinese rather than Thai. Good ambience and service too.
Y'know what? We didn't love that place for some reason. We went two or three times and each time was "meh" and then we decided not to go back. We just didn't find it authentic, and I think that you hit the nail right on the head as to why. (And parking is a hassle.)

Have you tried East-West Grille? If not, you really must.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM

67 posts, read 162,691 times
ive been to east-west many times, but idk... it just doesnt hit the spot quite like the place at my school.
ah well, its still a good place. thanks for the help

Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggspc View Post
ive been to east-west many times, but idk... it just doesnt hit the spot quite like the place at my school.
ah well, its still a good place. thanks for the help
Awww, that's too bad. You sound like my husband -- there was a "noodle shop" near where he went to school in Chicago. He loved their pad see ew and NOTHING ever compares to Penny's Noodle Shop for him.

We're going to try King & I Thai again, in hopes that it's back to how it once was. You might want to give that place a shot.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,899,933 times
Hands down, Puket Cafe in Wethersfield.
Puket Cafe Thai Cuisine - 1030 Silas Deane Hwy - (860) 529-6590 - Restaurant - Wethersfield - CT

Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Good call! We LOVE that place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut