U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I was reading your forum for a while. Very informative.
I am planning a possible move to CT, my husband is planning to get a job in Westport, CT
I searched your forum, population info, crime index and decided that the safest places for me and my family will be Milford, Easton, Wilton, Fairfield, Ridgefield, Redding and Westport. Can you advice, which commute from these cities will be the worst and which one the best to get to Westport for my husband?
Which one of these cities has cheaper property taxes?
Which one of these cities is the safest?
Do you think any of these cities will go down in future because of illigal immigration or certain groups of people doing drugs. Are there any HUD plans and affordable housing building plans in future? I am looking in prospective. Please, advise. I know it is common in Amerika to say, that all cities have bad and good areas, but I am new to your country, so give me some credit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,834,299 times
Every one of the cities you mentioned is completely safe.

In any of these cities, you might occasionally find an illegal immigrant doing lawn work or other type of manual labor. Feel free to run and hide if you must.

Please don't believe everything you see on the media about illegal immigration here. No one screams about them when the economy is good and their labor keeps our produce sections cheap, makes new homes less expensive, etc.

But in any case, Milford is likely the least expensive of towns you mentioned, but by no means cheap. This is one of the most expensive areas of the USA.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:56 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,188,365 times
The best commute would be Wilton

Old 05-25-2010, 04:12 PM

24,679 posts, read 40,267,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
The best commute would be Wilton
No, I think the best commute would be from Westport itself.

Then I would consider the towns that border Westport. These would be Fairfield, Weston and Wilton. I would follow these by nearby towns like Easton, Redding and Ridgefield.

Milford would be a lot further than the other towns you mentioned, so it would be my last choice of those the OP listed.

Crime is not a serious issue in any of the towns you mentioned. So you know, the towns you list are some of the most desirable (and expensive) places to live in the country. All would be great places to raise a family. As for taxes, you would need to find homes in your price range in each town and then compmare taxes for those homes. Note that taxes in this part of the country can be high. Jay

Old 05-25-2010, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,583 times
Thank you so much Jay, Seymourct, mlassoff
I am considering milford, as it is near the ocean. I would consider Norwalk and Bridgeport too, but they are unsafe according to your forum.
One more question, friend of mine told me that in CT you need a special pass to visit a beach. Is it true?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM

33 posts, read 78,005 times
Hi Kolokol,
Only you can determine which town would best suit your needs, and you should not take this forum as gospel and do more research for the towns you are most interested in. Westport has a lot to offer and also has a lot of great beach homes, so does Norwalk, Fairfield, Greenwich and Milford. Milford waterfront prices run from $217,500 for a 750sq. ft. 2BR bungalow to $2.6M for a 3137 Sq Ft. 4BR 3 1/2 bath Colonial. Westport start at $436,900 for a 960 Sq. Ft. 3BR, 1 1/2 Bath ranch up to $30M for a 10500 sq. ft. 6 BR, 6 1/2 Bath Colonial. Now, as for commuting from Milford to Westport, the traffic between these towns has increased and there is no telling when your commute could take 30 mins or 3 hours even though that sounds extreme, some days when it rains or snows it could take 3 hours. If you can swing it, your best bet would be to settle in Westport or Fairfield. If you are going to settle in Milford, which is a fantastic town, you can also take the train from Milford to Westport.
Regarding beach access, most residents can obtain a free beach pass or sticker. The state parks are usually free or have a small fee.
Good Luck in your search if you need any further info, do not hesitate to ask.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 AM

8,837 posts, read 14,272,315 times
Some comments:

1) All of the towns are fine, safe, no problems

2) If cost is the big factor, Milford is the cheapest, followed by Fairfield. The rest are as expensive as it can get.

3) Outside of Westport itself, Fairfield is probably the closest commute to Westport (bordering town with a direct highway commute; lots of traffic but very short distance, close enough you could probably take to the streets, that's why I say it over Wilton). Milford would be the worst commute (mostly highway, but furthest distance and a lot of traffic).

4) Of the "elite" towns in your group, Westport is noted for having unusually liberal politics among them (many Hollywood stars have NY area homes in the town......Paul Newman was one of its most famous residents), so if that is your bent, you may be more "comfy" there than in some of the other towns you mention (however, CT is definitely a "blue state" and for the most part conservatives in CT, indeed the Northeast in general, would be considered "moderate" at best elsewhere).

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,303,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayct View Post
no, i think the best commute would be from westport itself.

Then i would consider the towns that border westport. These would be fairfield, weston and wilton. I would follow these by nearby towns like easton, redding and ridgefield.

Milford would be a lot further than the other towns you mentioned, so it would be my last choice of those the op listed.

Crime is not a serious issue in any of the towns you mentioned. So you know, the towns you list are some of the most desirable (and expensive) places to live in the country. All would be great places to raise a family. As for taxes, you would need to find homes in your price range in each town and then compmare taxes for those homes. Note that taxes in this part of the country can be high. Jay
I agree.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM

24,679 posts, read 40,267,999 times
In this area, price will play a big role in where you live. You have to be able to spend a lot to live in Westport. Fairfield is a bit more reasonable. Also note that Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport and Stratford are on the shoreline, the other towns you mention are not. If being near the water is important to you, then consider these towns.

Also note that Nnorwalk and Bridgeport have very nice and safe areas too. I would not necessarily rule them out if you will be renting and do not have kids in school. The Black Rock section of Bridgeport and the East Norwalk or Rowayton sections of Norwalk are very nice and very safe. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut