U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,243 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Cheshire and graduated from Cheshire High in 1994.

I would say it had it's good things and then some not so good things.
The town in general is beautiful, the schools had very good teachers and were well run, the neighborhoods were quiet.

On the bad side, it is incredibly expensive. I decided when I got engaged to look around at other towns because the house prices were very high. I think the prices have come down a bit in the last two years. There is also a bit of a snooty attitude from certain people there. I don't think that ever went away since I moved in 1999. My parents still live there so I am in Cheshire a lot still. You can learn to ignore it. And route 10 during rush hour is....well, it is really bumper to bumper.

I also worked at the stork club in Cheshire in 1998 to 2000. It might be run by different people now but it was a nice place to work at right after college. The workers taking care of the children there are mostly going to college at night or work after high school, all of the girls I worked with loved working with kids. It was clean, and the kids went outside almost every day. There was also a preschool in the building, I don't know if that changed.

Good luck, I hope you find a good place to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM

128 posts, read 363,364 times
I have to agree w/jennicut....some snooty people...however it seems to be the older ones...everyone that I have met at DD's preK (Little Cherubs run out of the Cheshire Lutheran Church) have been super nice (most are transplants from other states though..so don't know if that makes a diff or not)

I drive past the stork club sometimes...something about the outside looks creepy to me...but you know you can't judge abook by its cover! Maybe its great on the inside!

I have heard great things about Scooter School as well....but it was too late, they were all filled up by the time we got here last fall for DD to start preK.

If I have heard correctly, they are trying to close Chapman Elem....some other preK moms were not happy about that..it looks like total trash on the outside but the moms I know love it and say their kids are very happy there...if we were staying here, our DDs would go to Highland, which is newer...but I hear good and bad about that one too....too overcrowded there is mostly what I hear. Thats all I know about those schools, no personal experience with them yet.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:13 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
We used Stork Club in Glastonbury and I will admit it was not the best looking place. It was older and not as slick and modern as some of the newer centers in town but what weliked about it was that the care givers has been at the facility for years. The woman that ran the infant room had like 12 years with the center when we were there. She retire a few years ago with more than 25 years. You NEVER find that at a daycare. The most we saw at other centers were that caregivers had 2 or 3 years with the center.

The other thing we liked was the size. It was not a big and impersonal center. My kids knew every teacher and the teachers knew them. Because of the small size there was almost constant supervision of the staff which meant that the kids were well cared for. The Director knew everything that went on.

We have firends that went to some of the newer centers here and when we talked about our experience they kind of regretted choosing flashy looks over quality of care. So, yes you shouldn't really judge a book by its cover. Jay

Old 07-22-2010, 07:09 PM

32 posts, read 55,855 times
Thank you every body for your inputs.

JayCT, does the Stork club in Glasotonbury have a secured door (main door) ?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
I am not sure what you mean by "secure door". The side door is locked from the inside and there is a buzzer on the front door when it opens. The back door leads out to a fenced in playground. I think that is all the doors there are unless there are fire exits in a couple of the larger rooms. Why do you ask? Jay

Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 AM

69 posts, read 174,858 times
BTW, did you move here yet? I saw a house for Rent for $1800 that is a 3bed/1.5 Bath/ 1 car garage here in Cheshire. It's in the district of Highland Elem.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM

32 posts, read 55,855 times
I've moved. Thank you :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut