Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,715 times

Advertisements

I got a job in the southern part of Hartford and am now in the process of looking at houses. I found a couple of great houses not too far from the St. James Cemetary (sorry, it's the only landmark I can find on the internet maps I have). Can someone tell me about the area? I want a large house (big family with my parents, too), but under $225,000. Any bad areas in Manchester? Any better suggestions for a family that will need a good elementary and eventually a great high school???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:23 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4ella View Post
I got a job in the southern part of Hartford and am now in the process of looking at houses. I found a couple of great houses not too far from the St. James Cemetary (sorry, it's the only landmark I can find on the internet maps I have). Can someone tell me about the area? I want a large house (big family with my parents, too), but under $225,000. Any bad areas in Manchester? Any better suggestions for a family that will need a good elementary and eventually a great high school???
You might be hard pressed to find a 'large house' as you specified in a good location for 225K- that is not in need of serious work.
St. James Cemetery- in Manchester, is right off of Broad street- the area is ok-rather commercial. Located not far from Main Street.

Manchester has a few less then desirable areas; but the town is a good place to live overall. Manchester has a good school system and the High School is currently undergoing renovations and additions.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 15,715 times
Default Thank you

I appreciate the response. I'm flying out in 2 weeks to look at some houses.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,183 times
Check out this listing in the City of New Britain where you'll get more for your $. The price is $199,900. It's 10 miles SW of Hartford on I-84 & Route 9:

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-18-2007 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 AM

162 posts, read 849,552 times
Default forum

My mother lived in Manchester. I sold her house a few years ago once she became ill. It's a good town overall. I think if you hunt hard you might find something around your price but you may have to go up a bit in price. You probably would not want to be too close to Spruce St - that can get a little bit crazy a times. My mother lived near Woodbridge St - there are decent homes around there and Lydell St. Most areas there are o.k. It's an older town. I live in East Hartford. You may be able to find something here - but it won't be super large for that money. I've seen some 3 bedrooms/ranch/split levels listed around $240-265 around here. (Just stay clear of Burnside Ave). Anything off of Forbes St. in East Hartford is good - I'm near the Glastonbury line - it's ok around here.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM

29 posts, read 92,272 times
Default Manchester Houses

I've lived in Mancheser all my life and there are many good areas to live that would be in your price range. Granted, the lots might be smaller and you probably won't find much over 1700 square feet - It will be older and in need of updating, but it's possible to find something to suit your needs. The area near Broad Street is varied - some is very commercial but parts are very residential and right near Waddell Elementary School. Believe there's a 4 Bedroom Cape with 1 Bath on Turnbull Rd - 1700 squ feet that listed around 179K - looks like it needs updating, but at that price you would have some repair money - look on Realtor.com. Also another house in my area of town - Listing G462774 - 4 Bedroom colonial, 1 bath - Bowers School area, $225K - nice neighborly part of town - safe to walk and most people take care of their property. Good luck to you in your search and feel free to PM me if you need anymore info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut