U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,279,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signifier View Post
Hi everyone, I'm moving to Hartford, CT for a job placement. Although I'm excited to do this job, I'm very unfamiliar with the location - I'm moving from Oregon (forest land). The main thing I'm worried about is Nature - living in Hartford, how tough is it to get out into nature on the weekends?

That's really all I care about: my wife and I love to hike, climb and explore nature! If I'm trapped in a city 24/7 I'm going to go crazy.

Can anyone comment? I've done some googling for forests and trails in CT but that can't substitute for knowledge from someone who actually has experienced it.

Thank you so much, I really look forward to living in CT!
I sent you a DM with info. Welcome to Ct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 AM

57 posts, read 144,897 times
Check out peter marteka's column in the courant.
Nature's Path & Way To Go - Courant.com

This map lists some nearby hikes and is a good resource for some day hikes.
Connecticut Hiking from The Hartford Courant - Courant.com

Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,203,970 times
OMG, I'm almost embarrased at the posts here.

Yea, we got that...in spades. Don't worry.

If you really mean you will be living in the Hartford city limits which are very small...you'll still be surrounded by THIS.

That photo was taken about 10ish miles from DT Hartford in South Glastonbury - on the lawn of one of my customers...so I know where it was done. Point being, those "mountain ridges" you see in the background are 15-20 minutes from downtown Hartford.

P.S. 1.5 hours from DT Hartford puts you in Southern VT for reference!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 AM

240 posts, read 431,671 times
I absolutely love being outside and hiking, which is now one of the things tying me to CT. I live northwest of the city (Simsbury, Granby). Here are some of the things that I have found:

McLeans Refuge - nature refuge with miles upon miles of trails. Borders Granby and Simsbury
McLean Game Refuge - Home

Simsbury Land Trust - Land that has been donated to a trust that does not allow development. Miles of trails. You don't have to be a member to enjoy it.
Simsbury Land Trust

Shenipsit State Forest (Ellington CT) - Beautiful state park. They pretty much only have hiking trails, but they are nice.
DEP: Shenipsit State Forest

Check out the State Park Website for more information.
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection

Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,387,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
When I said east-west I meant it literally, not "via the highway." From Killingly Pond State Park Reserve, to Macedonia Brook State Park, if you were to get in a car and drive, it would take you pretty close to 4-5 hours one way. This is because, there is no highway that will take you from one to the other. Macedonia Brook is WEST of Kent Falls. WAYYYYYYY up in the boondocks. Killingly Pond is EAST of Killingly, right smack dab in the middle of the Rhode Island border. Also, this isn't someone trying to get from point A to point B as fast as they can. This is people who want to take a leisurely drive to enjoy the sights.

I don't know much about Hartford proper, other than what I read here. I used to go to a disco downtown back in the late 1970's when it wasn't suicide to park a car on Asylum Street after 9pm on a Friday. I've been to the Meadows. Other than that I pretty much avoid getting off the highway in Hartford.

The thing about Hartford is, it's like, the pimiento in the olive. Everywhere you go, when you leave Hartford, is awesome. 10 minutes in any direction will land you in something better, and in some directions it'll land you in places so neat you'll wonder if maybe you should just get lost and forget how to get back.

In particular, CT 44West should be a perfect weekend route for the OP. That's what gets you to Talcott, and there are golf courses and state parks and ponds and all kinds of other things along the way.

In the Autumn, you could look for one of the many Bed and Breakfasts along the center shoreline (Old Saybrook, Lyme, and general vicinity), and enjoy the foliage of Rte 9, with an actual destination that isn't stupid with coppertone tourists (since it's Autumn, and things go back to normal). That area has a few spa-type B&Bs where you get a massage and a facial (his & hers), and then you walk along the docks, grab a lobster roll at one of the lobster shacks, then turn in for the evening in front of the fireplace, then take a nice leisurely ride home the next day.

I used to ride my moped to Essex, from Hamden, back when I had a moped. And even now, on weekends, I'll fill up the car with gas, grab a bottle of water, and pick a direction. I'll go until the car has half a tank, then turn around and come back. I stop along the way whenever I see something interesting, a roadside veggie stand, or a historic town square, or a stretch of antique shops.

This is the kind of weekend stuff you can do VERY easily in Connecticut.

I grew up in East Killingly, 45 seconds from the R.I. border. I now live in Salisbury CT, 6 minutes from the NY border. It always takes me 2 hours to get from one to another, regardless if I am in a hurry in not. There's plenty of nature EVERYWHERE in Ct. Sometimes too much. Me or my friends don't go longer than a day without seeing a bear around.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 AM

65,012 posts, read 47,349,860 times
Quote:

That's really all I care about: my wife and I love to hike, climb and explore nature! If I'm trapped in a city 24/7 I'm going to go crazy.
AMEN!!!! City life is for neive clueless people who walk around like zombies.

You're going to love CT. I'm sure you'll find some nice places. If you feel like travelling a little bit....drive a couple hours and go to Mount Greylock in MA. You'll love it. There's a road to get to the summit or you can park at the parking lot down further and hike up the tallest mountain in MA.

Only 3500feet so it wont take long and worth the hike.

At the top you can see the view of 5 different states. VT, MA, NY, CT,NH.
Mount Greylock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 AM

4,445 posts, read 8,284,889 times
I think you will find some modest nature trails and hiking that will keep you busy on weekends. However, as others pointed out (and for the sake of you not being disappointed)…Connecticut and the East Coast is totally unlike the sweeping mountain ranges of the Western States. When we say mountain in the east…we don’t mean that in the same way you might think of Cascade Range -forget 8900 ft snowcapped peaks and vast wilderness areas. The highest point in Connecticut is 2300 feet (in the extreme NW corner of the state). In fact, the highest areas of the state tend to be less than 1800 feet (the Sears Tower in Chicago is 1,400 feet). So don’t expect to see sweeping mountain ranges on the East Coast. This is the flat side of the mainland – lol. Also, there tends to be less vast empity areas in the east compared to the west...so it takes a little more effort to truly escape populated areas. On the other hand…the weather is likely better much of the year in the Tri-State area than up in the Pacific Northwest – it’s far sunnier here (and much more sunny in winter) and our summers are warmer. There will be a lot less gray days in Connecticut than in Oregon.

As far as real outdoor adventures, there are a few in Connecticut that are really nice. First, there is a book you should get: Fifty Hikes in Connecticut (Hardy-1991 –Backcountry Publications). ( $14.95). It has fifty of the best hikes in Connecticut...by hikers! Bear Mountain Loop in the NW corner of the state is the “Rockies” of Connecticut (lol). Remember, what passes for a great hike in CT might not be worth a second glance up in the Pacific Northwest. Like most hobbies in life…the more you’re willing to travel…the better the choices. As others pointed out…states to the north of Connecticut have more scenic and rugged terrain and better hiking (VT, NH, ME,). A 2 day weekend is enough time to get to the high country of the Adirondacks (NY), the Green Mts (VT), and the White Mts (NH). Parts of VT are quite rugged and far from populated areas. Mt Washington in NH is 6800 feet, and can be reached by foot and auto. Also, one of the top National recreation areas on the East Coast is only about 3 hours from Hartford – the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. You can hike/camp/whitewater raft/fish…etc here amid the high country and waterfalls… and not see another person for days (check their web site).

Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM

9 posts, read 16,720 times
our "mountains" are very small, ranging 500-2000 ft elevation, but the views are still very beautiful. hikes i can personally recommend:

Hanging Hills/Hubbard Park in Meriden
Bradley Mt/Sunset Rock State Park in New Britain
Ragged Mt Memorial Preserve in Berlin
Sleeping Giant in Hamden

and here are some good sites to help:
DEP: Connecticut State Parks and Forests
Best Hiking in Connecticut | Best Hiking Connecticut
Connecticut county highpoints - www.surgent.net

in CT, inner city areas and farms are very often just 15-30 mins away from each other. the mountains arent as high and the trees are all different, but it's still very beautiful. hope you like it!

Old 08-20-2010, 04:38 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,910,950 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm moving to Hartford, CT for a job placement. Although I'm excited to do this job, I'm very unfamiliar with the location - I'm moving from Oregon (forest land). The main thing I'm worried about is Nature - living in Hartford, how tough is it to get out into nature on the weekends?

Can anyone comment? I've done some googling for forests and trails in CT but that can't substitute for knowledge from someone who actually has experienced it.

Thank you so much, I really look forward to living in CT!
Are you actually living in Hartford or just working there? You could live in Simsbury, Farmington, and many other nearby towns and be close to nature. I live in Granby and have trails right out my back door.

There are numerous places to enjoy nature in Connecticut as well as in nearby Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and New York.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:32 PM

69 posts, read 127,698 times
"Right now, I'm looking out at a wide expanse of trees, hills and green valleys in Oregon - but I'm slowly adjusting to the idea that there IS nature near Hartford"

By now I'm sure you are in CT and realizing how off-base that statement is. Of course there is nature in CT! To put some things in perspective:

--- CT is more forested than Oregon is. 59% of CT is covered by forests while 49% of Oregon is covered by forest.

--- about 18% of the state is protected as conserved land, nearly all open to the public. this is one of the highest ratios in the country. It may be small, but there are tons of parcels to explore.

Of course CT is far more dense than Oregon but you are within a short drive of countless hikes and a few hours of the White Mountains, Green Mountains, Catskill Park and the Adirondacks, giving you millions of acres of wilderness to explore. You will have no shortage of places to hike, bike, kayak or explore.

For local places within 30 minutes downtown Hartford, I would suggest:

- Talcott Mountain State Park
- Penwood State Park
- canton land trust (several trails over about 2000 acres) Canton Land Conservation Trust
- simsbury land trust (many trails over about 2000 acres) Simsbury Land Trust (especially the west ridge hikes)
- MDC lands (over 3000 acres of hiking and mountain biking within 10 minutes of Hartford city limits)
- Case Mountain, Manchester
- Granby Land Trust, Welcome to Granby Land Trust (especially Mary Edwards Mountain)
- McClean Reservation in Simsbury (about 30 miles of trails over 4300 acres)
- ctwoodlands.org - the blue-blazed trails maintained by the CT Forest and Park Assocation - over 800 miles of forested trails throughout the state.

If you travel a bit farther, Litchfield County offers even more opportunities including the Appalachian Trail, White Memorial Foundation and Great Mountain Reserve in Norfolk.

Hope you enjoy your time in CT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut