U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM

588 posts, read 1,626,585 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good seafood restaurant, within 30 minutes drive of Fairfield? It's the wife's birthday tomorrow and she decided she actually wants to do something instead of pretending the day doesn't happen. Thanks!!

To clarify, I prefer a place with very good and very fresh fish (she'll probably get lobster)... we don't need it to be fancy. Quality eating makes it better for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:24 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,988,915 times
Captain's Galley West Haven.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Captain's Galley West Haven.
I'm sorry, i normally don't do this, but............................

Absolutely, HELL NO on that recommendation.

.......Unless, you think large quantities of disgusting fried crap piled on a plate constitutes a great experience.

I'll take quality over quantity.....

Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Absolutely, HELL NO on that recommendation.

.......Unless, you think large quantities of disgusting fried crap piled on a plate constitutes a great experience.

I'll take quality over quantity.....
Good to know, thanks! I read some reviews of Captain's Galley and most pretty much had the same to say - mediocre food for a high price, lousy service, and not a great atmosphere. Not sure why you would order fried crap - clams or oysters is usually preferred... not really into crap, fried or otherwise.

Any other suggestions?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post

Any other suggestions?
Unfortunately, seafood is one area where we don't do very well, which is odd considering our location. Most people that i've talked to about seafood restaurants seem unanimous about Scribner's in Milford being the most consistent. I went once and thought it was good, but not good enough for the $$$$$. The Shell Station in Stratford is another stalwart that isn't bad overall. Their menu is small and the food is somewhat bland to me though. Let us know if you do find something really good. LOL.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 05-27-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Unfortunately, seafood is one area where we don't very well, which is odd considering our location. Most people that i've talked to about seafood restaurants seem unanimous about Scribner's in Milford being the most consistent. I went once and thought it was good, but not good enough for the $$$$$. The Shell Station in Stratford is another stalwart that isn't bad overall. Their menu is small and the food is somewhat bland to me though. Let us know if you do find something really good. LOL.
I've read mostly positive reviews of The Restaurant at Rowayton Seafood and Osetra. Neither are cheap by any means, but as long as the food's good I don't mind splurging once a year.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I've read mostly positive reviews of The Restaurant at Rowayton Seafood and Osetra. Neither are cheap by any means, but as long as the food's good I don't mind splurging once a year.
You have to take the reviews with a few grains of salt though. Conte's in Westport was getting rave reviews by the boatload. Where are they now?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,120,151 times
Quote:
Can anyone recommend a good seafood restaurant, within 30 minutes drive of Fairfield? It's the wife's birthday tomorrow and she decided she actually wants to do something instead of pretending the day doesn't happen. Thanks!!

To clarify, I prefer a place with very good and very fresh fish (she'll probably get lobster)... we don't need it to be fancy. Quality eating makes it better for us.
oohh! I am a seafood lover and here are my recomendations not in any order:

River House Tavern - Westport
Sunset Grille - Norwalk
Redding Roadhouse (yes, they have fresh seafood)
Cobbs Mill Inn - for romantic setting (not sure I have had anything other than beef there)
SoNo Seaport Seafood - great food, casual though

Have fun!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM

24,566 posts, read 40,120,453 times
what about Captain's cove in Bridgeport. It is not fancy but it overlooks the marina and is pretty fresh. I have not been there in years.

Conte's in Westport closed a while ago. It relocated from the spot that is now Ruzzutos to the Westport Inn but did not last that long there. Too bad they were once very good. Jay

PS - For decor you can't beat Cobb's Mill Inn.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
Also not bad-- The Black Rock Oyster Bar and Grille. It's pretty good-- Not great. I am surprised at the lack of great seafood restaurants in the area, considering the location.

Some of the Italian places do excellent Linguini and white/red clam sauce or a good seafood fra diavlo. If that's your thing, check out Cinzano's in Fairfield or Vazzy's in Bridgeport.

Oh, and I have to agree-- Captain's Galley is revolting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or