Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,004 times

Advertisements

Hello!!

Well, first of all a big thanks to all of you for maintaining and contributing to this forum. I have really gathered a lot of information from here.

So, I am another mover who is considering moving to Stamford from Los Angeles for a job change. I have a family (wife + 2 yrs 10 month old son). My office would be in White Plains initially and what I have been told is that it would move to Stamford probably by next year. Hence I am looking to settle down in Stamford in line with my company move. Most likely I would be moving to CT around July 4th weekend or there about.

So my questions are -

1) I do see a lot of Cali people who have moved to here. Can you all please guide/suggest me about which moving company you used? How was your experience like cost, delivery time etc

2) I am looking for a temporary furnished accomodation for initial few days till I get my stuff from movers. Please guide me if you used any companies like Oakwood etc, where did you stay and how much it costed etc? I am in touch with such companies and the price quote that I am getting is around $180 - $200 per night for a 2BR/2BA based on 30 days min stay. I hope to find an apartment in less than 30 days!!

3) Now this question has been asked and responded many times and I surely have read it but I think I wil ask it! I am looking for a 2BR/2BA within price range of around $1800 with most utilities included. I have seen quite a few positings in craigslist where I can get apmt within this price range such as Hoyt, Townhouse, Morgan Manor etc. I am not sure how good/bad they are and if they included car parking or how much extra that would be? Also, based on my research, it looks like most of the units are over $2000 + utilities in downtown area. We don't have any such preference of living in downtown. We would rather be little away in a decent area where we could afford a decent apartment close to our budget. Our apartment search would also be guided based on the pre -schools in that area or close by as our son would start his schooling coming fall.

4) We have 2 cars but it looks like CT charges property taxes on vehicles. The registrations are expiring June end & July first week. Would it more sensible to get the renewed in CA or get it changed to CT registration? I have a 2005 Accord and a 2010 Pilot.

I am also considering White Plains as an alternative but since our office would be moving to CT, I am thinking from long term perspective that staying in Stamford would be more sensible.

Thanks in advance for reading my long posting and I am looking forward for your suggestions/thoughts/guidance.

Take care!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 04:03 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,738 times
There are many 2 brs in the Bedford/ Summer corridor just north of downtown that would be around $1800. Also, there is an express bus to White Plains from downtown Stamford that could make your commute easier, depending on where you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut