Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times

Advertisements

Derby Hilltop is nice.

When you are figuring out your budget, you'll have to include parking at Yale . We spent time in Ped ER some months back, and all we heard in the hall outside our room was the Dr's & Nurses beefing about sticker shock to park and how far across the city they want the newbies to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 34,928 times
With a quote "For under $500K"... Derby would not be on that list.

Yes, you may find a Hilltop neighborhood with some newer homes for $350 to $400K, but the town as whole would bring the value down eventually once the new homes age..I'm sorry but the return on your dollar for the Derby would depreciate.. Go to downtown Derby and you'll see.

I resided there very temporarily, and once I was able to procure a home I got out.. And, if you want to see the house on Paugassett Rd directly from Rte 34, you will have to go on Derby Ave. When you drive on Derby Ave you will see the depreciation in value I speak of (blighted areas). The same way your Garmin will take you and your family through.

North Haven, Orange, Hamden/Wallingford Area, Milford, Bethany, all have nice homes for the $400K range in nice areas and would appreciate in value when the market turns because they are nice towns and all are less than 1/2 hour drives to New Haven...and you don't have to take special non-blighted route to get home.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,878 times
As a 27-year resident of New Haven County, my opinion is that there is no reason to consider Derby if you can afford up to $500k.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
As a 27-year resident of New Haven County, my opinion is that there is no reason to consider Derby if you can afford up to $500k.

I agree. With a budget like that, I'd skip over the Valley, and go to a place like Orange. Derby really isn't all that nice.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM

8 posts, read 24,659 times
CT Realtor popping in here, I highly recommend North Haven, Guilford, Branford, Madison areas. Not too mention that the last three towns have access to some nice beaches. Durham is very nice. very country feel but access to a highway is not as convenient. Your price range will definitely get you what you are looking for in any of these towns. Make cure you check out millrates and taxes, those could make a huge difference!! Good luck!

Last edited by JayCT; 06-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Removed advertising

Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times
Wow, all I can say is sad responses!
This type of stereotyping is why the valley is having a hard time if all its neighbors just keep slamming it!

There is NO good reason to put any of the valley towns this far down the selection list!

All the towns are in process of renovating themselves!

The economy fell apart for all of CT, and putting down any area like this saying "you will just keep depreciating" helps no one.

Derby's downown renovation is stalled, but not dead.
Attitudes like this is how Ct gets a "snob" reputation .

Grow up and tell the OP the truth. Derby hilltop is pretty nice .

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
This type of stereotyping is why the valley is having a hard time if all its neighbors just keep slamming it!

There is NO good reason to put any of the valley towns this far down the selection list!

All the towns are in process of renovating themselves!

The economy fell apart for all of CT, and putting down any area like this saying "you will just keep depreciating" helps no one.

Derby's downown renovation is stalled, but not dead.
Attitudes like this is how Ct gets a "snob" reputation .

What people don't realize is that the Valley has been one of the most desirable places in the state recently just by looking at it's growth. It's the first affordable suburban area up the line from NYC and, aside from blighted downtown Derby and adjacent neighborhoods, the Valley is actually very nice. Most people would be shocked at the nice neighborhoods found in both Ansonia and Derby. Seymour is now a bedroom suburb of Stamford/Bridgeport/Norwalk and New Haven. Additionally, I doubt those considering Seymour (which as become expensive in recent years) would consider Derby or Ansonia largely because of the "snob" factor.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post

I have no idea how nice Derby Hilltop is but there is a very good reason not to put some of the valley towns on a list: school performance. Derby's is pitiful. And contrary to what is posted here...Derby's population is projected to decline.

http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus.../derby2010.pdf

Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,798 times
OP take a look at Oxford too. Definitely within your price range and desired commute time. It's another valley town with wonderful schools and a great sense of community.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 12,328 times
Try Branford, N. Branford or Northford. We just moved into this area and we love it. There are definitely cul-de-sac communities and the school system is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut