Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo08 View Post
be.

Also, I don't believe for a second that there aren't people living here in CT who make under 45K a year. I say if you have enough savings to get you by 6 months or so (on top of a guaranteed 45K job), go ahead and move.
Yes, there are people living here making under 45k... but then even you say if they have savings go ahead and move. So what you are really saying is that 45k is NOT enough for a family of 4 to live on here.

The median income in CT is 68,595. I don't think a family of 4 could live without financial stress for much less than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
There are people living here in CT on nothing. They live in Section 8 housing in Hartford, New Haven, New Britain, and some other towns, with horrible schools and dangerous streets. They collect SSI disability, are on Medicaid and food stamps. They work under the table. But if a family of 4 wants to live in a safe, decent town with good schools, and not be on the dole, you need at least twice the 45K/yr that they're offering him. Don't do it! Keep looking.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 34,925 times
Weigh all the options- your aspirations, the kids' futures. Without knowing your debt this makes an opinion difficult.

If you have very little to no debt, and the husband's promotions are at regular intervals it may be worth a shot. You may have to live tight for a little bit, but if you are not over your head in bills you should be to able to rent part of a two family home in the Valley Area (Derby, Seymour, Ansonia) until you are on better ground. This area is relatively close to Stratford, so the commute (gas) would not be too much of a hardship and there are plenty of amenities nearby. These are fine areas, more of a modest income community.

If you are heavy in debt, then the salary will be tough to skim by on, but I still wouldn't rule it -look for part time work (if he is in accounting do some research on contract jobs - where companies only need an accountant/bookkeeper on a seldom basis, this could bring in some nice extra $ without killing your family life) or some sort of secondary income would help. I would have a fallback plan, though.

If you plan to need full-time daycare, plan to spend $250-$300/wk...Reading your post, I don't imagine this is the case, but just keep in mind.

Good luck, don't let rough waters steer you off course.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxab12 View Post
Weigh all the options- your aspirations, the kids' futures. Without knowing your debt this makes an opinion difficult.

If you have very little to no debt, and the husband's promotions are at regular intervals it may be worth a shot. You may have to live tight for a little bit, but if you are not over your head in bills you should be to able to rent part of a two family home in the Valley Area (Derby, Seymour, Ansonia) until you are on better ground. This area is relatively close to Stratford, so the commute (gas) would not be too much of a hardship and there are plenty of amenities nearby. These are fine areas, more of a modest income community.

If you are heavy in debt, then the salary will be tough to skim by on, but I still wouldn't rule it -look for part time work (if he is in accounting do some research on contract jobs - where companies only need an accountant/bookkeeper on a seldom basis, this could bring in some nice extra $ without killing your family life) or some sort of secondary income would help. I would have a fallback plan, though.

Good luck, don't let rough waters steer you off course.
I like this line a lot ^^^^. And I agree with extreme frugality it may be done (as long as raises happen). It's hard though to go without and be frugal in this area where we are surrounded by so much wealth. And I am not talking "keeping up with the Jones". Living is expensive...not going into debt is hard these days....and on that salary it will be very hard. One unexpected repair or sickness can be all it takes to financially ruin you. Only you can decide what is best for your family!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
It may be wise to look at this same job in other states where the cost of living is lower, or as others said, plan on becoming , by need, a 2 income family.

Beyond just rent, utilities will be far higher than Ky (no TVA), and there are auto property taxes in Ct, too. Both Ct and Ky have income taxes-you'll need to check for how comparable they are for your family size.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
And I agree with extreme frugality it may be done (as long as raises happen).
That's somewhat true considering all of the various social service programs that are offered for families with incomes under the state median. However, the question would be, is that how you(the OP) want to live? I'd rather be in a position whereby i don't have to worry about funding for programs being cut, and then having to scramble to make-up for it. On >60K with a family of 6, it's still going to be impossible to make it in a "decent" area here without some sort of "assistance".

Old 06-06-2010, 05:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
That company ought to be ashamed of themselves offering that kind of money here especially to a family with 4 kids.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
You will be miserable here on that income only. Then we have to hear how CT sucks. lol

Either you get a job and provide a second income of a higher amount OR

Stay Put! Dont move. Dont accept the job offer. Period. Its hard enough for 2 people to survive here on 90,000 income without any kids. Unless you find roomates and split a rent for a tiny dumpy place.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
That company ought to be ashamed of themselves offering that kind of money here especially to a family with 4 kids.

Companines don't offer salaries based on how many kids someone has....if they did...my husband would be making millions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman27 View Post
Its hard enough for 2 people to survive here on 90,000 income without any kids.
Not true at all.....90K for two people is living very comfortably, even here. You may have to drive a Honda or Ford and not a Lexus or BMW but 90k affords 2 people a very nice life.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
If companies offered salaries based on family size, that would be discrimination. The problem for this family is Fair market Value for the position and Ct cost of living are not in sync. If they wish to move that bad, or take this job opportunity that much, no doubt they will need a second income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut