U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,184,639 times
Smile Small, Friendly Towns

My fiance and I would like to relocate to a new town in Connecticut at the end of this year or early 2011. We have been renting in Greenwich for years and will be sad to leave, but we realize that we cannot afford a single-family home in town in the next few years--or possibly ever. We would like to move to a different area of the state to a small town with a tight-knit community. Commuting to work is not a concern since we will both secure new jobs in the vicinity of the area where we would like to move.

Here are some of the things we are looking for:
1) Great public schools.
2) A "community feel" with several unique parades and/or festivals each year (i.e. Essex has annual "Fife and Drum" and Groundhog Day parades)
3) Homes with 2+ bedrooms starting at $180K that aren't falling apart. (We do not mind very old homes as long as they do not need extensive repairs.)
4) Close proximity to nature preserves, trails, and water recreation.
5) Low crime.
6) A large town or city within a maximum 30 minute drive for movies, shopping for basic household items, and restaurants.

Living in Greenwich, I've become accustomed to people being incredibly friendly (Old Greenwich gets completely immersed in Halloween and I've been invited into strangers' homes for drinks and to see their decorations) and I would like to know my neighbors on a personal level.

We have already lived in and/or spent a lot of time in these areas and have eliminated them from our search:
- Lower Fairfield county
- Essex
- Shoreline towns of Clinton, Madison, Guilford, Westbrook, Lyme, New London, and Niantic

I have heard great things about Newtown, Chester, and Collinsville but would like to hear as many opinions as possible on what may be the best towns for us to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 01:41 PM

7,211 posts, read 7,192,052 times
Curious as well. I wonder if "friendly" still exists in CT.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM

182 posts, read 329,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
We have already lived in and/or spent a lot of time in these areas and have eliminated them from our search:
- Lower Fairfield county
- Essex
- Shoreline towns of Clinton, Madison, Guilford, Westbrook, Lyme, New London, and Niantic.
Well, you just shot down most of my suggestions lol. For what you are looking for it sounds like Old Saybrook or Stonington borough might be right. These are the only other towns that I know personally. Others on here will definitely know of more places.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,584,719 times
Quote:
My fiance and I would like to relocate to a new town in Connecticut at the end of this year or early 2011. We have been renting in Greenwich for years and will be sad to leave, but we realize that we cannot afford a single-family home in town in the next few years--or possibly ever. We would like to move to a different area of the state to a small town with a tight-knit community. Commuting to work is not a concern since we will both secure new jobs in the vicinity of the area where we would like to move.

1) Great public schools.
2) A "community feel" with several unique parades and/or festivals each year (i.e. Essex has annual "Fife and Drum" and Groundhog Day parades)
3) Homes with 2+ bedrooms starting at $180K that aren't falling apart. (We do not mind very old homes as long as they do not need extensive repairs.)
4) Close proximity to nature preserves, trails, and water recreation.
5) Low crime.
6) A large town or city within a maximum 30 minute drive for movies, shopping for basic household items, and restaurants.

Living in Greenwich, I've become accustomed to people being incredibly friendly (Old Greenwich gets completely immersed in Halloween and I've been invited into strangers' homes for drinks and to see their decorations) and I would like to know my neighbors on a personal level.

- Lower Fairfield county
- Essex
- Shoreline towns of Clinton, Madison, Guilford, Westbrook, Lyme, New London, and Niantic

I have heard great things about Newtown, Chester, and Collinsville but would like to hear as many opinions as possible on what may be the best towns for us to check out.
Colchester - bang on.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,619,355 times
Quote:

1) Great public schools.
As in any state, great public schools come with a price tag. The best school districts in any area are sought after and people are willing to pay more for them. 180k doesn't buy you much house in many places in CT, and I doubt in a great public school district.

I would try the small towns in Litchfield County; Kent, Washington, New Milford, Cornwall.

Let us know what you find.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM

418 posts, read 863,935 times
I would recommend Collinsville but not if you are counting on commuting to jobs in Hartford every day. It's a bit isolated.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 PM

844 posts, read 1,195,833 times
Danielson, Putnam and other small towns in the NE corner of the state would fit your needs. 180,000 buys a lot of home in these areas. You would be 30 minutes from either Norwich, Worcester or Providence. This area is off the beaten path for most Connecticut residents.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,034,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Danielson, Putnam and other small towns in the NE corner of the state would fit your needs. 180,000 buys a lot of home in these areas. You would be 30 minutes from either Norwich, Worcester or Providence. This area is off the beaten path for most Connecticut residents.
Danielson is a hamlet in the town of Killingly.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,034,616 times
Quote:
Shoreline towns of Clinton, Madison, Guilford, Westbrook, Lyme, New London, and Niantic

FYI - Niantic is a hamlet in the town of East Lyme, and Collinsville is a hamlet in the town of Canton.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 PM

417 posts, read 675,196 times
Agreed JViello. Colchester without a doubt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut