Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 AM

71 posts, read 211,494 times

Advertisements

I know this is an electronics questions, but I think being I don't where to put this thread it should be find here.

http://images.philips.com/is/image/P..._10-GAL-global

See that? That like Male 3.5mm and Female 2 RCA.

I need that for an event in mid July. I live in the United States, more specific New York [State] if that matters.

Btw, before I get badgered on, well if you found a picture of it, why don't you blah blah blah... I found that picture on Philip's website and it's available in some European countries, or at least information is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,158,608 times
Do you have a RadioShack store near you? They have lots of cable adaptors. Here is one that looks like yours. It says 1/8" stereo plug but I believe this is the same as a 3.5mm Y-Adapter, Phono Jacks to Stereo 1/8" Plug - RadioShack.com

3.5mm jack vs. .125 inch jack? - CNET Home audio & video Forums

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
If you do a Google Shopping search for "mini plug stereo rca adapter" you'll see a bunch of places that sell it.

I'd recommend you consider the version that is cabled rather than that solid version. The cabled version is easier to fit in a cramped environment and is less likely to get broken off if it gets bumped. I have broken off the mini plug on one of those adapters on more than one occasion. It's no fun when it gets broken off completely and the stub of the plug remains inside the device.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Do you have a RadioShack store near you? They have lots of cable adaptors. Here is one that looks like yours. It says 1/8" stereo plug but I believe this is the same as a 3.5mm Y-Adapter, Phono Jacks to Stereo 1/8" Plug - RadioShack.com

3.5mm jack vs. .125 inch jack? - CNET Home audio & video Forums
Oh yeah, RadioShacks are ALL over NY, esp. suburbs and urban areas. I have one just under 10 minutes and one 20-30 minutes away and I planned to stop there Tomorrow anyways. Thanks!

Oh, and as for the 1/8" conundrum, Apple Macs use those "1/8"" ports anyways.

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/connectingguitar/ (broken link) (as seen on this page, Apple says you must convert your guitar's 1/4" with an adapter to an 1/8" that Macs use), and of course I am using a Mac for this.

As for corded, they are hard to find, and they can also still break off, which sucks about the little plugs, nothing like the even SMALLER like what 1/16" I'm assuming or something that some cell phones use, but can still break off just not as easy, and I don't feel the need to hunt down a corded one when the non-corded is convenient and will cause no problems when handled carefully IMO. The space for my MacBook will not have cords around it to cause accidents and mismatches. I am a nitpick, and I've made sure everything is perfect with almost OCD accuracy the last 3 years I've been doing this little show

Last edited by VanillaCoffee; 06-28-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,154,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoffee View Post
Oh yeah, RadioShacks are ALL over NY, esp. suburbs and urban areas. I have one just under 10 minutes and one 20-30 minutes away and I planned to stop there Tomorrow anyways. Thanks!

Oh, and as for the 1/8" conundrum, Apple Macs use those "1/8"" ports anyways.

Apple - Pro - Techniques - How to Record an Electric Guitar on Your Mac, p. 1 (http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/connectingguitar/ - broken link) (as seen on this page, Apple says you must convert your guitar's 1/4" with an adapter to an 1/8" that Macs use), and of course I am using a Mac for this.

As for corded, they are hard to find, and they can also still break off, which sucks about the little plugs, nothing like the even SMALLER like what 1/16" I'm assuming or something that some cell phones use, but can still break off just not as easy, and I don't feel the need to hunt down a corded one when the non-corded is convenient and will cause no problems when handled carefully IMO. The space for my MacBook will not have cords around it to cause accidents and mismatches. I am a nitpick, and I've made sure everything is perfect with almost OCD accuracy the last 3 years I've been doing this little show
This is quite a non-issue, just go down to radioshack and get one. Walmart carries these as well (belkin).

If you're not going to have cords around your macbook then what do you need an RCA adapter for?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,158,608 times
I have one of these Y-adapters in the cabled form (got from Radio Snack). I think one thing to consider is that the mini stereo plug would be bearing loads from two larger cables plugged into a solid connector. I have an mp3 player that is great except for it is prone to having its mini stereo jack broken off the pc board inside where the jack is mounted. I learned this reading the forum at the player's manufacturer web site. Mini jacks and their delicate soldering to a pc board are not designed to support much force. So I always plug in my mp3 with care. Take care with the mini stereo jack inside your laptop

Not preaching - just my 2c

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,495,646 times
Two places I have purchased "unusual" cables or adapters and have had good luck.

Cell Phone Accessories, HDMI Cables, iPod Accessories, iPhone Charger, Wii Accessories l eForCity

Amazon.com At a Glance: smartdigital

I've only been able to buy from smartdigital through Amazon.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
This is quite a non-issue, just go down to radioshack and get one. Walmart carries these as well (belkin).

If you're not going to have cords around your macbook then what do you need an RCA adapter for?
Considering your post, this is quite trolling.

As for being such a non-issue, yes sir, sheesh! And yes, I did go to my local Radioshack yesterday and I picked one up. Someone on these forums gave me the name of the stupid thing so I could pop out a picture from the printer real quick and bring it to the radio shack guy to know which one to go grab, I got it in under 2 minutes and was on my way. No need for "oh such a non-issue" and to continue on and say "If you're not going to have cords around" and blah blah blah. What I meant by that is cords not associated with my computer to get tied in or tangled with the cords coming out of my Macbook that would be neatly fed where needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I have one of these Y-adapters in the cabled form (got from Radio Snack). I think one thing to consider is that the mini stereo plug would be bearing loads from two larger cables plugged into a solid connector. I have an mp3 player that is great except for it is prone to having its mini stereo jack broken off the pc board inside where the jack is mounted. I learned this reading the forum at the player's manufacturer web site. Mini jacks and their delicate soldering to a pc board are not designed to support much force. So I always plug in my mp3 with care. Take care with the mini stereo jack inside your laptop

Not preaching - just my 2c
Yeah, Macs are built pretty decently. Handling ports on all my Macs in the past with carefullness has led to ports in healthy, non-broken-off condition. Aha, thanks for the 2c of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics