U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,956,753 times

Advertisements

GPS systems always seem to screw up in the downtown area I live in, I think it must be the signals bouncing off of skyscrapers and such, but I don't know how many times I've had friends trust their GPS device over me when we are driving somewhere and I give them directions to which they respond 'but the GPS says this" (and I'm the one who has known the lay of Chicago's LOOP since I was about 16 years old, if you have me in your car, you probably don't need a gps device for that part of town ). They then make wrong turns following its bizarre directions. Now if they had only listened to me and not to the poor device that can't get a proper signal (shrug).

Don't get me wrong, I think that can be valuable in certain settings, but they certainly have their faults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
GPS devices are very useful if you're trekking through the woods. You can always use them to mark your starting reference points, latitude, longtitude, and your bearings. Then when you're done, the GPS device is very useful to go back to the starting point.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,313,991 times
They come in darn handy when setting lobster traps...

On land, though? Just another useless-but-look-it's-expensive gadget for most, I think. I wonder how ancient peoples ever walked through the woods (or over continents, for that matter) without the "basic" equipment we have now...

Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 AM

279 posts, read 1,731,303 times
My mom has one, and it is wrong more times than it is right. And it is not very easy to program.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM

453 posts, read 1,964,121 times
i think that GPS systems are excellent and can be very useful. my garmin was a lifesaver on my trip.

however, i will say that no one should ever rely on a GPS to plan out a trip. if you can, use google maps to plan your trip and just use the GPS to let you know where you are and where the next fast food restaurant is.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,811,024 times
I would love to have one myself,just curious do you have to sign up for some sort of plan and if so how much?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:33 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,687,078 times
Ha - I am glad there are some mixed feelings towards them. I was looking at my hand held Garmin - (now $500 cool looking paperweight) and wanted to rant, thought people would mostly disagree.

I was also reminiscing on my experiences:

1. Lost in the South Bronx thinking I might need Kurt Russell to come in and save me.

2. Moved to a rural area and had it take me over ATV trails to get back home once - however I was in a car.

3. Hiking in the woods using the tracback feature and would lock the unit up just when I was ready to "track back" lol. With that feature the unit always needs to have a signal and clear view or no tracback for you.

After many other similar experiences my wife will no longer let me leave the house with the GPS...

Glad to hear people have some reservations or clear objections to them. And yes there are many very useful and life saving applications. I just think finding a remote outlet mall is not one of them.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 06-29-2007 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,687,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I would love to have one myself,just curious do you have to sign up for some sort of plan and if so how much?
No you don't need like a phone plan. They pick up the signal from Satellites in the sky for free - thats one of the upsides...

Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,544,754 times
My Garmin has been excellent except that when I drive in New Jersey it continually wants to dump me into downtown Newark or Secaucus. I don't know what I've done to offend it. I'm sure that the quickest route to the tunnels doesn't involve going through downtown Newark from the NJ Turnpike.

Occasionally it screws-up entirely and sends me on routes that I know are longer. The unit even confirms this when I skip its route and the unit shows me shorter time than what it originally planned after it recalculates.

I really believe it needs an additional avoidance parameter along the lines of: Avoid ghettos.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,956,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I really believe it needs an additional avoidance parameter along the lines of: Avoid ghettos.
Hahaha. I finally made someone turn theirs off after the 2nd time they listened to it over me and we found ourself driving down a very sketchy side-street on the west-side of Chicago (to which I asked 'why the hell are you turning here' and they blindly responded 'the gps told me to', he figured out in about two seconds why that was a bad idea). I don't trust them in cities, not at all. Perhaps they are useful when you are on the expressway and don't want to miss your exit, but they don't take into all the contingencies of traffic, neighborhoods, etc.

Last edited by j33; 06-29-2007 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics