U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 AM

2,445 posts, read 5,557,010 times

Advertisements

They are very useful for plotting out boundary lines. Last week a forester I know GPS'd a 20 acre lot,then he went in with chains(I helped him),and his on the ground measurements were within 2+/- 3'. This is pretty accurate. The advantages also include hiking the mountains around here and getting basic topo features to orientate the trekker to get them back to his or her starting point. Loggers utilize GPS instruments to plot and then execute the harvest. Hunters also use them for reference of a good game trail and retrieving the game if he or she needs help pulling the game out of the woods and must leave the kill to find help. So all in all these instruments are very helpful when you live in the woods. I personally have not used one on the road or in the city. I give the GPS two thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 AM

5,654 posts, read 17,474,090 times
We just got back from a 1200 mile trip to FL and borrowed a friends (tom tom) and it worked beautifully. The only time it messed up was in Indianapolis where there was a recent detour and exit closing that it had not picked up yet.
I guess there are certain drawbacks with certain models. Like Tom tom is a product from the UK and it does have problems with the rural addresses.
But on the whole, it saved our butt lots of time when we otherwise would have been hopelessly lost.
The key is getting the right one for your needs I suspect. We are looking to purchase one ourselves now.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,687,360 times
Well I had a semi surreal experience while mowing the other day a DHL delivery van came out of the woods. He was going pretty fast on something that is not a road particularly lol. He stopped and asked kinda frantically where he was.

This guy literally drove over a mountain on a road I wouldn't take my truck on. He said his GPS told him, (mm tells me 2) that that was his route. Well it was pretty frakin funny. No problems he went on his way with some direction and well thats it...

Well I give him big credit for driving skills

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-19-2007 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Well I give him big credit for driving skills

Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 PM

431 posts, read 1,551,193 times
I get lost all the time. I could seriously get lost in a parking lot. We are going to be moving to a totally different city. You can betcha I'm getting a GPS so I don't accidentally take a wrong turn and end up in California.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times
Had and really used/liked the Garmin [GPS III+] I had for ~7 years (until I stupidly left it in the pocket of the seat in front of me as flying from SLC to ATL and noone fessed up to finding it to the lost'nfound ). Used it to waypoint many many interesting features, be they caves, springs, buildings, restaurants, strip joints [lol, just seeing if paying attention ], and the such. Never used it to give me directions - I've a map for that, I've a map for just about anywhere - but, as a tech gadget to tell me direction, mileage, speed, distance, etc., as a helpful guide. LOL, probably 'sold' dozen or so units, as when I would sit next to the window on the plane, looking at the clusters of lights in the darkness below me, and neighboring passenger would ask, so, what town is that there; or what feature are we flying over... As mentioned earlier post, its a tool, its a device to help - its not a replacement for common sense, maps, or asking for directions [yes, men do indeed do such - besides, its neat way to meet people ].

Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM

256 posts, read 758,750 times
Thumbs up GPS works for this traveler

I'm planning on buying a GPS unit...I used one (Magellan) that came with a rental car in an area that I was not familiar with at all, and would have been terribly lost without it...at night, after a long flight. When I missed a turn, and it quickly recalculated my route and got me to my destination quickly. There was no manual, but it was sufficiently intuitive that I was able to just start using it and go.

I've also rented a car with a Garmin unit and it seemed to have many more problems with finding satellites and quickly rerouting, but that could have been due to the area or the software not being updated regularly.

In my opinion, it's much easier to navigate roads in areas I'm not familiar with via GPS than maps. I used to use maps, but one shouldn't look at a map and try to drive at the same time for obvious reasons.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM

448 posts, read 1,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I totally agree, my buddy uses one when we are out riding our motorcycles, he spends more time messing with that thing than riding, it's just anouther toy that takes us away from paying attention to the road, I would much rather use a map.
So wait.....I guess is better to try to hold a map with one hand while driving with the other one...than just hold on to the steering wheel with both hands, look to the road and only listen to the GPS while it tells you where to go.....

Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,295,202 times
Smile GPS works for this explorer too!

I have a Magellan eXplorist XL.
It works awesome!...I do a lot of ATV exploring and it works nicely in my truck too.

It seems to me many people have negative opinions about them because
they don't properly know or understand how to use them.

Here's a very informative link:
GPSFAQs.org Home Page

and....another....

GPS Receiver Information, Software, and Hardware Reviews of Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan and other GPS Receivers

They both cover about every thing you could possibly want to know...

Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,839,916 times
I have a GPS in my car (built-in) -- it is great. Never gets "lost", or gives weird directions (having taken it to some remote trailheads, I know that it can distinguish between paved and unpaved roads). We use it only if we are going to a new place.

I don't know if I'll ever get a hand-held one though. When I'm out hiking, I like to use a topo map and a compass to figure out where I am. A GPS would be like cheating. It's fun to read a topo map and try to visually identify all the features.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM

159 posts, read 326,225 times
Default I prefer GPS

After renting cars with a GPS unit in a couple of cities while traveling, I just purchased my own Magellan RoadMate 3050T. I have navigated in unfamiliar cities with both standard maps and with GPS and I personally prefer the GPS method.

That being said, GPS units are just like any other electronic gadget that runs software, you need to update it every once in a while to keep it current.

This is no different than having to purchasing a new map every couple of years to make sure it is current. The advantage to GPS is that the manufactures normally produce at least one map update per year and they don't cost anything to download. So once you purchase your GPS unit, you don't have to pay anything additional to keep it current.

Most of the complaints that people have about GPS units can usually be attributed to out of date software or cheaper units with weak radio units.

I like that once I enter a destination, if for some reason I have to detour, the GPS will re-map my route automatically and instantly so I don't have to pull over and try to find a new one on a map.

All in all, I say it's a matter of personal choice. You should use what works best for you and what you are comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics