U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
857 posts, read 2,687,078 times

Advertisements

My experiences even with a fair amount of technical knowledge is that GPS is stupid for the average person. Does a world of good in general and its a kick asterisk technology. But I have had a few bad experiences in both city and country driving - I worry that in the future people will depend on it like spell checking and never learn how to use a map. I am back to maps.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 06-28-2007 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: bad spelling doh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,555,810 times
Yeah youre right. But anything that is designed by humans is bound to have flaws.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:37 PM

11,442 posts, read 17,348,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
My experiences even with a fair amount of technical knowledge is that GPS is stupid for the average person. Does a world of good in general and its a kick asterisk technology. But I have had a few bad experiences in both city and country driving - I worry that in the future people will depend on it like spell checking and never learn how to use a map. I am back to maps.

I totally agree, my buddy uses one when we are out riding our motorcycles, he spends more time messing with that thing than riding, it's just anouther toy that takes us away from paying attention to the road, I would much rather use a map.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:40 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,404,410 times
It really depends on the GPS and what you need it for. I have a Garmin and have just moved here. It is MUCH safer for me to use it than to be driving down the road trying to read a map and watch the road at the same time.

However I have discovered that there are some roads around here NOT in the database. Liz

Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

3,359 posts, read 11,023,680 times
I love the one the BF just bought. It came in really handy when we had to find an airport in a city we were'nt familiar with.

It also has a feature that shows you things of interest in a particular category within an area. That's great as far as I'm concerned. I'm always afraid I'll miss something important that I'll kick myself for later that was right around the corner.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:47 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,749,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
It really depends on the GPS and what you need it for. I have a Garmin and have just moved here. It is MUCH safer for me to use it than to be driving down the road trying to read a map and watch the road at the same time.

However I have discovered that there are some roads around here NOT in the database. Liz
I just LOVE my GPS, and would be totally lost without it, because I have NO sense of direction.
It saved me so many time already.....
BTW...I hook mine up to my PC every couple of months or so, to update data base of new build roads and such!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 PM

284 posts, read 1,574,414 times
I have mixed feelings about the GPS. It is wonderful for documenting genealogical sites like headstones, ancestors' homes or land, etc. since maps change so much over the years and generations. However, when we travel it just seems to get in the way (unnecessary and just something else to keep up with).

Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,836,720 times
geocaching without a GPS is extremely difficult....I wouldn't trade my Garmin for anything!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:27 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,215,041 times
I've never used a GPS unit while driving, but I know GPS is a very good navigational tool for flying airplanes when weather cuts visibility down to less than 5 miles, especially on final approach. Of course the altimeter, heading indicator/compass, and a GPWS (Ground Proximity Warning System) are a definite requirement for such weather conditions.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:08 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,071,799 times
we talking GPS handheld units for hikers and such or vehicle navigation units here? I've driven all over the U.S. with my TomTom and she kicks some serious butt! Have never used the hand held units though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics