Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 04:06 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,448,391 times

Advertisements

I have no idea whether this is possible or not. I have tried Google to get an answer, but think I am wording it wrong. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I got my parents an LG LCD-TV for Christmas. They receive TV via their provider Cablevision which supplies a Scientific Atlantic standard cable box. I got the TV properly hooked up (no small miracle) and also programmed their Cablevision remote to control the TV power, channels, volumes, etc.

But what about the LG TV Remote Control? Can this also be programmed to do the same as the Cablevision Remote? Right now, if you use the LG remote and change the channel, you get nothing (since it appears it is always set at Channel 03).

I hope I've explained this clearly and what I am attempting to do. I would really appreciate any help or tips.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 05:58 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
Depends entirely on the remote, but most remotes that come with TV's are designed to control the TV only, not cable boxes. If the remote is programmable their should have been instructions on how to do it included.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,448,391 times
I think that the remote may be programmable, but that maybe I took the easy way out (without knowing it) in the initial set-up which included selecting the language, mode setting, power indicator, time zone, and finally, Auto Tuning. That was where the Owner's Manual stopped and I thought that was all there was to it. However, in my search for the answer to this question on the remote's capabilities, I've managed to download the FULL instructions for this TV model on the LG website.

Under the section: Watching TV/Programme Control, you get a choice under Auto Tuning for selecting either Antenna or Cable. I am assuming I picked Cable on the initial set-up. In these more detailed instructions, after choosing "Cable", there is also an ability to then pick the Service Operator. If, apparently, your Service Operator is not one of the choices, you are required to input additional values such as the frequency, symbol rate, modulation, and network ID. It states that your Service Provider would be able to give you that information.

Is this, in your experience, the way to sync the TV to the cable box? I don't want to blow out the stations they are even now, as we speak, happily watching!

Thanks.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:47 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,600,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I have no idea whether this is possible or not. I have tried Google to get an answer, but think I am wording it wrong. Hopefully someone here can help me out.

I got my parents an LG LCD-TV for Christmas. They receive TV via their provider Cablevision which supplies a Scientific Atlantic standard cable box. I got the TV properly hooked up (no small miracle) and also programmed their Cablevision remote to control the TV power, channels, volumes, etc.

But what about the LG TV Remote Control? Can this also be programmed to do the same as the Cablevision Remote? NO! Right now, if you use the LG remote and change the channel, you get nothing (since it appears it is always set at Channel 03). With a cable box you must use the cable remote since the box turns the TV into just a monitor stuck on ch 3 !!

I hope I've explained this clearly and what I am attempting to do. I would really appreciate any help or tips. The TV remote is now only good for TV color , brightness etc. adjustments so save it for when those TV only functions are to be used. When it comes to channel changing you now must use the cable remote

Thanks!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,822,117 times
Your parents are really missing out if all their content is coming from an SD cable box connected with an RF modulated analog NTSC signal. Even the lowest tiers of cable programming often come with local stations in HD, broadcast in clear QAM, which most TVs should be able to receive.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
I am not sure why you would want to do this as n most sets the remote wears out long befre the TV. Then they would also have to learn what function control what which arte clearly marked on the cable box remte.My remote has clear instructions if one wants to do thsi but i don't see the point really.I use it to adjust only the Tv settting ;myself.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
I don't use my TV remote at all as the Comcast remote is able to control the TV settings menu and switch inputs.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,469,826 times
As others said it all comes down to the remote and what it can handle. What the TV has built in is most likely a basic tuner card that could decode the digital cable signal. Of course, these days most cable companies won't give you that info, forcing you to rent a box. Basically if you could get all that info the TV is asking for from the cable company, you wouldn't need the box, but chances are they won't give it to you. Also, you would most likely still not be able to receive "premium" content like HBO on the TV's tuner. The best setup is just to use the cable box and the remote they gave you to control the TV. Depending on the model most cable box remotes can simulate the majority of the functions the TV remote can.

If the remote that came with the TV is programmable, all you need is the programming code for your model cable box. Although, I still fail to see the point of doing that, since you already have a full featured remote from the cable company.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 13,627 times
My grand kids think it is amusing to hide my comcast remote. Is it possible to program the LG remote AKB74915304 to control comcast?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:24 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,575,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Collings View Post
My grand kids think it is amusing to hide my comcast remote. Is it possible to program the LG remote AKB74915304 to control comcast?
Go to the Comcast office or call the 800# as they'll usually give you another remote for free. The LG remote does not look like it's programmable.

FWIW: If you have a smartphone, there is a app for Comcast.
https://www.xfinity.com/support/inte...-cable-tv-app/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics