U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 PM

11,488 posts, read 25,992,256 times
Creative way of handling it. They are likely trying to sell you one at manufacturing cost or rock wholesale. I doubt they will be able to get authorization to go to $400.

Grab the offer IF you can get it as a coupon where you select your own from stock somewhere and not have to take a refurb or return from them, AND it has a decent warranty, or one can be purchased. Sell the bulb on eBay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 PM

733 posts, read 2,403,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Creative way of handling it. They are likely trying to sell you one at manufacturing cost or rock wholesale. I doubt they will be able to get authorization to go to $400.

Grab the offer IF you can get it as a coupon where you select your own from stock somewhere and not have to take a refurb or return from them, AND it has a decent warranty, or one can be purchased. Sell the bulb on eBay.
Comes w/ 1 year warrenty and will be purchaesd from the place where I purchased my first.
Yes- I thought it was interesting as well. Not the "offer" I expected.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 AM

733 posts, read 2,403,221 times
They "accepted" my offer of $400 + tax. No delivery fees. I'll make one final update once the new TV is installed and working
Overall, I am very happy with the way Mit handled this, especially considering I was out of warranty.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM

449 posts, read 490,347 times
mitsubuishi has great customer service well at atleast thats been my experiance with em thats all i buy glad they fixed your tv

Old 04-14-2011, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 70,496 times
Default My Mits DPL has a constellation of stars!

Add me to the list of very unhappy customers of the Mitsubishi DLP tv's! Ours is a WD-57734 57" that was bought (new) a little over 3 years ago. We just LOVED it at first....then the lamp blew out 4 days before the factory 1 yr. warrenty ended. It sounded like a gunshot & scared the daylights out of all of us (the dog too!) Mits paid for that replacement.

Three months later, a few white spots appeared on the screen. That was last summer. We now have a constellation (think 'Milky Way') stretching from the left side mid screen to the right side. I tried counting the 'stars' but stopped at 52, waste of time. It is out of warrenty as we did not think we needed an extended warrenty on this new Mits TV (it was replacing an older Mits 32" that we had for 16 years...never a problem but then that was not a DLP TV).

We originally paid $1600 for the set & the new repair to replace the defective light engine would cost aprox $1000 for the part (looks like the entire inner guts of the TV!) and labor. Plus, we just blew up another lamp 2 weeks ago & just replaced that (bought it on line for half of what Mits website lists it for. Official Mits part with the same Mits warrenty)

So......we have decided to scrap this tv after we get a little more milage out of the new lamp. We'll put up with the stars for a few more months. The next TV will be an LED....but will do our homework before we buy this time.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,228,949 times
Sorry to hear about your TV issues. We have a 65" Mitsubishi (not a DLP model) that we bought in 2004. We've never had a problem with it, and haven't had to change the bulb, so I don't know what the lifespan is supposed to be. I can't complain about it, but when it finally goes, we're going to replace it with a big flat-screen TV or a projector and screen, just so we can reclaim 3 feet of floor space in the living room.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:16 PM

16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Almost 9 year old Mitsubishi 55", no problems, no white spots. I have zero complaints with ours

Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM

5,116 posts, read 3,622,538 times
Mine is only a year old, so far so good. Zero complaints - great TV.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,226,067 times
This issue is not isolated to only mitsubishi. Pretty much all the DLP and LCD projection tv's have this same issue and often surfaces in 2 to 4 years. It is the optical or light engine going bad. Apparently they get extremely hot and over time components start to fail causing the spots. From what I have read, turning them on and off heat cycling the optical engine increases the likelihood of having this problem arise.

We had a 52 inch panasonic lcd rear projection do the same thing but on panasonic and some other brands the spots can be pink or green instead. If you google it, you will find these problems with most all brands. I have noticed that it seems to happen most often after a bulb goes out and it is replaced with a new one. This is what happened to yours and it is also when ours started. I was also disgusted. I called panasonic and emailed them and finally got a response but was basically told its out of warranty, tough luck. Just the part to fix it if I did it myself was around $500 and it was then possible I might would need another board that was around $200. The repair shop wanted $900 to fix ours too. I gave the piece of junk away and went and bought a new lcd flat panel. If it goes out in a couple of years, I am going to drag my old CRT tv back out that I have had for about 15 years and start using it again. lol

Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 70,496 times
Default Update on the white stars.....

After reading all the posts on this board, I contacted Mits. At first, the rep said that there wasn't much they could do as my set was out of warranty. He suggested I call one of their recommended repair shops in my area (he gave me 3 #'s, one that was no longer in service, one that never answered & one that didn't return my call after I left a message). I told him that I knew what the problem was & wasn't going to spend anymore money on this set. We went round & round with me telling him that I was very unhappy after spending $2000 plus tax for a set that only lasted 3 1/2 years! Found my original receipt & noticed that I had paid more for this set than I had remembered! He kept saying he was sorry but the white star problem was very rare & it could be fixed if that was indeed the problem. When he said 'very rare' I sort of lost it & told him to check out the Internet under 'Mitsubishi white spot problem'! He said they were aware of the internet posts on this problem. The call ended with me just venting & nothing much accomplished.

Well, we unplugged the set, went out & bought a new one (which we really couldn't afford at this time), a competitors 55" LED, and stored the Mits in the guest room until we figured out what to do with it. This was 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday, I get a call from Mitsubishi Consumer Relations. Seems they want to 'help me out with my problem'. I told them I bought a competitors set & was not interested in spending one more cent on their TV, which is the truth. He kept arguing that they 'wanted to help me'. They wanted me to get a repair estimate (at my expense) and send it to them along with a copy of my original sales receipt. I told him that we were so mad at the whole situation that we had thrown the set out on the curb for trash pickup. Well, at least they did call back & offer to help. Not sure what kind of a fix they were willing to do. We'll never find out at this point. We were able to return the new bulb for a full refund (less shipping) as it only had a few hours on it. The company we bought it from was great about that. We do have the new TV, a Sony, 55" with a gorgeous picture, no stars & a 4 year extended warranty. We learned an expensive lesson.....buy an extended warranty for these big screen tv's. We may never need it but it is worth the piece of mind we have for the next 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics