U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 AM

733 posts, read 2,438,315 times

Advertisements

I'm a little sick over this. We bought a 65 in. Mitsubishi Rear Projection TV, model WD-65734 just a little over three years ago. Black Friday of 2007 to be exact.
We have been quite happy with this TV. We did have to replace the bulb 2 months ago but understand that that comes with the "territory."
We are not big TV watchers at all... I would say our TV is on well below the average.
Two weeks ago I noticed a white spot appear, only when the TV is turned on. A few days later, a second spot appeared, in the same vicinity. As of yesterday, we are now up to 5 spots.

I did a little "googling" and it looks like this was/is a big problem with Samsung TVs- and in fact, Samsung fixed this for free. I didn't find much on Mitsubishi. Any advice? We are of course out of warranty and from what I could find online, this is a very expensive fix- one message board poster said it was $900 in parts + labor. The TV was just a little over $2000....

I find it very hard to believe that the life-span of this TV is 3 years.... I feel that it should last much much longer than that. I will be calling Mitsubishi this week but would love to know if anyone else has had to deal with this and what the outcome was.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,100,477 times
I've been a Mitsubishi DLP user for years with regards to what we use as our primary set in the living room (presently using an 82" 82838 3D DLP purchased earlier this year) and have never had a problem with them. I say this not to cast doubt on what you're saying, because I don't doubt it, but to point out the lifespan of these sets is not expected to only be 3 years. It sounds to me like there's a problem with your color wheel.

I'd call some of the local TV repair places to inquire as to price to fix it, because 900 seems high. At that point, you're better off just buying a new TV. Like I said, we've got the 82" 1080p 3D set in our house, and we only paid 2250 for it not too far back. If "the monster" is only 2250, I can't imagine a more reasonably sized 1080p would run much more than a grand or so, and it would have more features than the 3 year old set you have now.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,498,578 times
We have a Mitsubishi 55 inch rear projection TV we bought when we moved into this house in June 2002. Have never changed a bulb, picture is still great, and any spot we ever see is from kids finger prints as the grand kids are here very often.

Cable box died a month or so ago, and when the cable guy got the new one hooked up and was doing his setup, he even made the comment "that's a great picture for a rear projection TV"

Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,265,798 times
1) The white dots are a well-known problem with Mits DLPs. Go here: Rear Projection Units - AVS Forum and search for "Mitsubishi white dot". Among the threads in the search results will be this one: The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread - AVS Forum

2) The problem is caused by a defective light engine. In most cases, the cost of parts and labor to replace the light engine exceeds the replacement cost of the TV - $1000 or more). If you don't have an extended warranty, you are likely SOL. In a few cases there have been class action lawsuits, for instance with the Sony SRXD (a competing technology to DLP) rear-projection displays, and I guess you found that Samsung was covering repairs even after the warranty expired.

3) Both DLP and LCoS rear-projection TVs have been plagued by reliability issues. Neither Sony or JVC could solve their LCoS reliability issues and took their TVs off the market prematurely. A class action lawsuit was filed against Sony successfully, but most JVC owners had to eat the cost of their TVs. Samsung and Mitsubishi DLPs have had a large number of defects, just go into the RPTV forum on avsforum.com and see for yourself.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:08 AM

Thank you all for responding. It makes me ill to think about purchasing a new TV after just three years. I am going to look into this further and maybe see if I can get Mit to possibly split the cost of repair. I'm not all that hopeful but I figure it's worth a shot.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 AM

So get this. My brother has the Mit WD-65733, bought less than 30 days after I purchased mine... so his is also three years old. And guess what- he got his first white dot yesterday. I almost fell out of my chair when he told me.
I am calling Mit today, as soon as they open. I am also going to the local store where I purchased mine. (Bjorn's here in San Antonio.) They are known for their great cust. service and I'm hoping they can possible help me out is some way.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM

11,659 posts, read 26,758,670 times
Please let us know how this is handled and turns out. It'll affect my buying decisions and probably those of a lot of others. Manufacturers can't hide bad service or products easily anymore.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Will do!! Wouldn't you know... Mit's cust. service line has been down since Friday. I did go to Bjorn's and a service tech. will be calling me this evening and hopefully coming out this week. Not sure whose "dime" it will be on....

Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,265,798 times
IIRC from the posts in the RPTV forum on avsforum.com, getting any manufacturer to provide a goodwill repair or replacement on an out-of-warranty set was like pulling teeth. You might want to do a search in that forum to see what strategies worked for those people who did get some kind of relief from the mfgr.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM

SO- After calling Mit. several times w/ no resolution (just them saying they would call me within 1 day) they FINALLY called. Offered me the Mitsubishi WD-65738 (which is just the newer version of what I own) for $500. I've found it as cheap as $1250 online. I'm debating. Yes, I'm out of warrenty so this is not a terrible offer. I'd probably take it if I hadn't just spent ~$150 on a new bulb. I asked if they would lower the price to $400... we shall see. They said they would call me back in 1 day. lol.
Just wanted to update. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics