U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 AM

27,391 posts, read 43,319,221 times

Advertisements

I was reading the Daily News the other day and came across an ad for Universal Computers and Electronics. They are advertising some TV's for some pretty low prices.

Panasonic 32" - $389
Panasonic 42" - $599
Samsung 42" - $549

These prices appear signiificantly lower than I am seeing here in CT. They list stores at 4801 Broadway in Manhatten; 3794 Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn and 34-09 Queens Boulevard in Queens. Anyone know of this place and their reputation? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM

11,540 posts, read 22,158,406 times
Usually when something sounds too good to be true. . . it usually is. Don't know anything about this place, but there is some mention of it here

Sony 27" FD Trinitron WEGA TV $350 shipped [Archive] - SlickDeals.net Forums

ORIGINAL POST
If any of you live in or around NYC. You can buy this TV @ 2 locations for much cheaper.

$249 / Universal Computer & Electronics (718-784-8000)
34-09 Queens Blvd, Queens, NY 11101

OR

$239 / Royal Computer & Electronics (718-646-2100)
3794-3798 Nostrand Ave. ( Bet. Y & Z) Brooklyn, NY 11235

FOLLOWUP POST BY SOMEONE ELSE
.......... they aren't!

I know the place on Queens Blvd and they usually sells refurbished product and AD them as new but you won't get the truth until you go there are ask them.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM

67 posts, read 332,891 times
Yeah when it comes to these small family stores, you really have to go there. I've seen Universal Electronics ads on AmNY newspaper. I think they're doing well, my brother bought some new mp3 player from there last year.

I usually go to Proline on 4th street in downtown Brooklyn. They don’t sell refurbished products, but you can always bargain with them especially if you found a better price elsewhere (like J&R or Best buy).

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM

314 posts, read 389,280 times
there is a ca$h money computer store down in the financial district. i bought my computer there for much cheaper than circuit city or best buy, but i can't remember the name of the store. they might sell TV's there, too. if so and someone can help you (and me) out with the name, then you should check it out. i had a great experience there.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM

27,391 posts, read 43,319,221 times
Thanks for the replies. I am always careful about believing things that are too good to be true. Jay

Old 07-18-2007, 09:00 AM

67 posts, read 332,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
there is a ca$h money computer store down in the financial district. i bought my computer there for much cheaper than circuit city or best buy, but i can't remember the name of the store. they might sell TV's there, too. if so and someone can help you (and me) out with the name, then you should check it out. i had a great experience there.
that sounds like J&R Computer by city hall? I work around the area, and I haven't come across to any other electronics store.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 18,563 times
Smile Mgf

i went to the broadway store for the panasonic 42". the floor model did not have the panasonic logo. i was told i would get a brand new in the box with a manufacterers warranty. I called someone. we could not find the panasonic model # any where. not even on panasonic corporate web site. went back to store manager who said it was an older model. plasma but no hdtv tuner. jokingly said something about maybe it was from santo domingo. i can home without purchasing. looked for hours for the model number. only came up in their newspaper ad.

i am really curious now. what are they selling. of course they tried to sell me another higher priced brand. please help solve this puzzle. model panasonic TH-42SD50. plug it in your search engine.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:12 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Well, like another poster said, "when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is."

I almost got caught in an Internet scam when i purchased my first digital camera. The Internet web site for the supposedly store had a great add, and as such it would save me a bundle of money. The store was supposed to be located at Brooklyn, NY. I ordered the camera online, and then was supposed to receive a notice on my e-mail. I received the notice the following day, and according to this notice i was supposed to call on the telephone to verify the order. I called, and the person on the telephone told me that the low price of the camera was because it was only for the body, and nothing else, not even the memory card. Now, if you buy this camera as a kit, it comes with a SD card, a battery, a kit lens, an USB cable, manual, and software. Theirs had only a camera body! I asked him to tell me how much a battery would cost, plus a memory card, plus a kit lens, and by then the price was twice what I would have paid at B&H, Adorama, or another reputable dealer.

I immediately cancelled the order, but the guy didn't want to hear nothing of that. I told him: "look...I want you to cancel my order now during the order verification. It means that there is no way you can charge my credit card for a restocking fee, nor anything else, since i haven't purchased anything for you. Something else, just in case you haven't listened to me, I have pressed the record button on my answering machine and have recorded it just in case I have to prove to anybody that I have cancelled my order."

That's when he hung-up on me I immediately called the credit card company and told them to make sure that no chargers would be placed on me unless I would personally would authorize payments.
--------
If you live in NY, I would recommend B&H Photo and Video or another reputable dealer. I have never had a single problem with Crutchfield, and they always deliver free of charge to Alaska around Christmas. B&H has great prices, but shipping to Alaska is expensive, although it's free within the continental US.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 18,563 times
Went To The Queens Store. Panasonic Was On The Wall, But Picture Was Fuzzy. I Was Told Panasonic Model For $429 Only Took Analog Signal., And That Was How The Picture Would Look. Salesman Immediately Tried To Show Me The $1200.00 Samsung. I Asked About Panasonic. I Was Told I Needed $700 Tuner For Panasonic On The Wall To Play Clearly.
I Left Store Checked Out Panasonic On Wall Th-37pa20, On The Internet. I Called Back Store Asked If They Had 1 For $429. I Was Told It Took Three Weeks Because They Had To Order

I Really Do Not Think They Intend To Sell Any $429 Panasonic Tv's. Both Stores Said They Needed Tuners. I Have Not Found The Model In The 1sr Srore, The Th-42sd50 Anywhere Except In Their Ad. Good Luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:00 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,794,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgf7777777 View Post
Went To The Queens Store. Panasonic Was On The Wall, But Picture Was Fuzzy. I Was Told Panasonic Model For $429 Only Took Analog Signal., And That Was How The Picture Would Look. Salesman Immediately Tried To Show Me The $1200.00 Samsung. I Asked About Panasonic. I Was Told I Needed $700 Tuner For Panasonic On The Wall To Play Clearly.
I Left Store Checked Out Panasonic On Wall Th-37pa20, On The Internet. I Called Back Store Asked If They Had 1 For $429. I Was Told It Took Three Weeks Because They Had To Order

I Really Do Not Think They Intend To Sell Any $429 Panasonic Tv's. Both Stores Said They Needed Tuners. I Have Not Found The Model In The 1sr Srore, The Th-42sd50 Anywhere Except In Their Ad. Good Luck.
Sounds like the same story Nationwide Electronics would give people years back in New Jersey. Most of them are famous for bait and switch, selling gray market and refurbished items. I would say run, run as fast as you can from these type of dealers. One good clue is to find out if a store is a U.S. authorized dealer. Most of the low price places are not! Another big scam is they will tell you that they will deliver the item when it comes in. What they forget to tell you is that it's usually a curbside delivery which is useless to most people that live on the fourth floor in a walkup. When the delivery guy gets to your home they will try to get more money from you to actually bring it into your house. I would think that the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs would have thousands of complaints on file from people who have bought from these stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics