U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 PM

288 posts, read 611,566 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need some advice re DVD recorders that I connect to my TV.

I looked on Walmart website and there were quite a few but I am not sure if I am looking at the right thing?

Are they all the same thing?

If anyone has a good one they can recommend i would be very grateful

All I want is something to link up to the TV to record prgrammes.

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,918,827 times
Without looking at Walmarts page, off hand I'd say to make sure you got a hdd/dvd recorder. This will allow you to record shows to your machine for later viewing, only burning those to discs that you truly want to keep. They may also be described as dvr/dvd recorders vice hdd/dvd recorders. If you have old VHS tapes lying around, personal ones especially, you may want to get a VHS/dvd recorder. If you are only looking to record programs for later viewing get a TiVo or other hdd based recording device.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 PM

18,597 posts, read 55,520,594 times
We have an older Toshiba dedicated DVD recorder. It definitely has its uses, making DVDs from stuff on tivo, etc.

Be forewarned that with any of these, you will NOT be able to make backup copies of your DVDs.

With a dedicated DVD recorder, you may be limited to fairly basic recording. Forget fancy titles for home movies, advanced chapter settings, and such. For that, you need to use a DVD burning program on a computer, and it can get complicated.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 PM

40,305 posts, read 41,857,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
They may also be described as dvr/dvd recorders vice hdd/dvd recorders. If you have old VHS tapes lying around, personal ones especially, you may want to get a VHS/dvd recorder.
Commercial VHS videos have macrovision which will make any recording unwatchable and the kicker is since this form of copy protection is just a video error trying to copy home videos which are usually full of errors may prevent recording since a lot of electronic recording devices will falsely flag it as copy protected. Also, the combos decks are also usually junk unless you spend some serious cash.

You're probably better off checking craigslist for used VHS decks, usually some decent ones. Some of them are actually quite desirable like the JVC9911 I purchased new that is now worth more used.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:31 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,918,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Commercial VHS videos have macrovision which will make any recording unwatchable and the kicker is since this form of copy protection is just a video error trying to copy home videos which are usually full of errors may prevent recording since a lot of electronic recording devices will falsely flag it as copy protected. Also, the combos decks are also usually junk unless you spend some serious cash.

You're probably better off checking craigslist for used VHS decks, usually some decent ones. Some of them are actually quite desirable like the JVC9911 I purchased new that is now worth more used.
If you can find one of the old, very large and heavy pop top vcr's made years ago (the kind you expected to still work five years later) you can get past that. Those were equipped with circutry to go to old tv's which did not work on a less than perfect picture. If the tape has some level adjusted to where the dvd will not record it, or its something you took with your old vhs camcorder and it was messed up, the old hevey ones were designed to fix it before it was broadcast.

It is still possible to find them too, since the design was intended to last and all the "Works" were in a box which did not require the entire thing being dismantled. Weight warning though. The one my ex had literally weighed fifty pounds.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:57 PM

40,305 posts, read 41,857,415 times
I don't know how well that is going to work, MV protection on VHS is an error that is deliberately inserted into the video signal to take advantage of the limitations of early VCR's. When you try to copy a tape with protection it plays havoc with VCR trying to record. TV's are unaffected by this but I have heard of people with older TV's have problems. The VCR manufacturers could have easily overcome this in new builds but it was mandated they couldn't. The Macrovision corporation became rich because they patented an error.

This doesn't necessarily effect modern devices like a DVD recorder and they have to build in detection of this copy protection and that is where the issues start. Some are more sensitive than others. As I mentioned you can have home movies that will be flagged as copy protected. Here's sample, the left image is home movie and the right is copy protected:

To get around this you get devices that simply don't look for the signal, I don't know about the current crop of devices but Hauppage capture cards in the past never had any issues.

SIMA used to make a product called a "video stabilizer" but I think they were forced into taking it off the market. It wasn't a very good product anyway because what this did was notch the video signal out where the MV resided taking part of the legitimate signal with it.

The ultimate tool is full frame TBC, this will fix timing errors on VHS. If you have a video for example that is skewed or you can't get to track right this will probably fix it. It stores each frame of video and strips the timing (and any MV protection with it) and outputs perfectly timed video eliminating these issues. It's not something the average consumer is going to buy though because the cheapest one I'm aware of is $450. Note that a lot of devices do have what they call LTBC or line TBC but this is not the same thing as full frame TBC.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,051 times
Default I Need technical help on HDD/DVD recorder

I have an Emerson EWH100F DVD/VCR with HDD
Recently I have found that I cannot record or dub to DVD. No matter what I do. I can record and playback from VCR and HDD. I can ALSO pay back from DVD. Does the DVD have a different recording laser than the HDD? If so, can this be replaced and is it expensive?

In the past I have recorded many TV shows from VCR, HDD to DVD but NOT NOW!

Thank you

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM

Replacing parts on any of the consumer electronics equipment rarely is cost effective. In your case, it might be the laser, it might be the power supply to the laser, it might be the circuitry that feeds the signal to the laser, or it might be a couple more technical issues. Even if the laser was a pop-in part (which it is not), it likely would not resolve the issue. You might try using one of the CD cleaner disks, in case there is dust on the laser head, but otherwise you need a new unit.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 3,051 times
I tried the cleaner but it did not change anything. Regarding replacing the unit, there is nothing that I can see that is comparable, AND I would like to retrieve the shows recorded on the HDD

I would STILL like to know if the "burning" laser for the DVD is separate from the HDD laser. AND I assume the reading laser(s) are different as well, in which case it might be worthwhile to pursue a repair.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM

I suspect the same laser is used. Even if if was a separate head, it would be hard mounted on the same carriage. It is an older model and not worth repairing. It was on clearance at Walmart in 2006 for $120. You won't get a repair for that price.

Look here for specs on something to replace it:
DVD Recorder Player 2013 | Best DVD Player Recorder | Digital DVD Recorder - TopTenREVIEWS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics