U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 23,349 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I have Pioneer VHS Recorder and a lot of Disney Videos. I want to transfer them to DVD but unfortunatly I can't do it as my recorder says "Copyrighted Material" What can I do against it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 9,408,063 times
I don't think it's legal to bring this type of subject up in the forums due to the TOS. If they are copyrighted you would be performing an illegal act by transferring them.

Why not just go out and buy the DVD versions of those movies? The quality will be a heck of alot better.

All I can say is search the web for possible hacks/cracks and other players that do funny stuff so you can convert from one media to the other.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 AM

6,083 posts, read 6,177,278 times
I thought as long as you do it for your own personal use it is not illegal. As long as she doesn't try to sell the copies.

Do you have a DVD Recorder? Curious how you are trying to do it?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 PM

7,339 posts, read 7,723,841 times
Breaking any copyright protection is illegal in the USA regardless if you own the vhs tapes or not, atleast as far as i remember. Maybe the laws have changed.

You can read more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,084,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Breaking any copyright protection is illegal in the USA regardless if you own the vhs tapes or not, atleast as far as i remember. Maybe the laws have changed.

You can read more here

Fair use - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe it is legal to make a backup for your personal use/archive, which can't be done without bypassing the copy protection

Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM

23,274 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought as long as you do it for your own personal use it is not illegal. As long as she doesn't try to sell the copies.
Producing the copy is not illegal, it's the act of circumventing protection schemes where it becomes illegal.

------------------

You enter a gray area with VHS because the protection scheme relies on the limitations of early VCR's. The protection is commonly referred to as Macrovision but that is actually the name of the company. This is an error that is purposely placed in the video, and they patented it! This error does not effect playback on TV but will play havoc with VCR recordings. Macrovsion and the media companies were able to get this limitation mandated into law so newer ones still have it. It wouldn't effect DVD recorders or other electronic devices EXCEPT the manufacturers of most of these devices have bent to the wishes of the media conglomerates and will look for this error and prevent recording if present.

I know all this because...... home movies are full of errors especially when played a lot, stored improperly etc. These errors can be incorrectly flagged as being copy protection preventing recording them. Some electronic devices are more prone than others.

The solution for home video is either buy a device that doesn't look for this signal like the Hauppage line of computer capture devices. (note I'm out of the loop here so I don't know if this is true of the newer ones) or you can purchase something that goes between the VCR and the recording device usually called something like "video enhancer". Results are hit and miss with these and because of the way they work can degrade the video.

The ultimate solution is a TBC however this is $$$ and bit of overkill unless you have other errors like timing issues.

More info here if you're interested: Macrovision Protection and Non Commercial VHS Tapes

Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,448,090 times
Legal or not, I don't see any problem with someone making a backup copy for personal use.

Some of the OP's movies might be in the "vault" for the next decade or so and unavailable for purchase.

There are devices that can remove macrovision protection. I think they sell for about $50 or so. Google it.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:41 PM

23,274 posts, read 17,639,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post

There are devices that can remove macrovision protection. I think they sell for about $50 or so. Google it.
The problem with these devices is they "notch" out the signal where the MV resides taking some of the legitimate signal with it.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 14,922 times
I see that most people want to copy their VHS to DVD because the tape has already started to degrade. That is ONE of the reasons I want to get them on DVD, BUT -- the other reason is that I have some exercise VHS tapes that have never been released on DVD -- one of them is an old Jane Fonda Work Out with Weights VHS. I tried to find it on DVD and apparently it does not exist and was never released on DVD. I have several exercise tapes that fall into this category. So the ONLY way I can utilize them is to get them onto DVD. I have not come across this reason from any other posts, so just want to mention it. I see nothing illegal here.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,971,705 times
You can buy a box off of Amazon for about $20 that will do just what you are looking for. I've used it to convert several long out of print VHS tapes to DVD, it works great. Just look for macrovision remover or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics