U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM

11,614 posts, read 20,770,772 times

Advertisements

I DID search but can't find anything that helps (I also posted in my local forum) - The area I live in only has two providers for bundled packages (Verizon and Comcast) - BUT - do I NEED bundled? I hear people hate Comcast but I also heard from a neighbor that Verizon is "full" so I guess if I drop that, wouldn't get it back again? Currently have Verizon w/DTV as the TV provider.

I would prefer to not have dial-up (but I do have free AOL dial-up for life)
Need landline phone (we don't have cellphones)
Need television (currently have DTV, sometimes have issues w/them w/reception)

The "package" for $99/month is misleading, seems that included ONE receiver (like homes only have ONE television) - extra for additional televisions, A single DVR/receiver - the ridiculous amount of additional taxes, fees, etc. that are incomprehensible to me. The bill was never near that, was approx. $150 or so, then suddenly shot up - I contacted them and didn't get ANY clear-cut answers - they offered to promo. rate some things (and I returned a receiver that I had gotten for the room I hope to move the computer to if I ever clean it out

Bill was back to about $155 - now it's $180!!! I think that's outrageous - these companies basically have us over a barrel and know it but I don't think we should have to pay almost $200/month. Now that there isn't any more over the air reception (unless you have an additional piece of equipment and try to find the stations, have an antennae, etc.)

What to do? I honestly don't know anything about the other services I've heard of (MagicJack, Vonage? etc.) - I do need to make long distance calls to family. I do want some of the tv channels available, local, NFL, etc. (there are so many that don't interest me though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,917,082 times
What do you want us to do? You have all the information. Make a decision.

We had triple play too but when the six month deal ran out we cancelled the land line and we only use our cell phones.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
With either comcast or verizon you have no choice but to rent their TV equipment, you can buy your own cable modem to save the monthy rental on that. Comcast is not a "landline" in the true sense of the word, their phones are VOIP. Any 3rd party VOIP service will work, I would not recommend magicjack, I will recommend ITP, they have some good packages, I have a 300 minute package that costs me $9 a month and they provide the equipment for free.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 AM

64 posts, read 122,936 times
Flamingo 13: I cannot recommend getting an antenna enough! It makes tv free! And it's fabulous. It's worth paying someone to install it - to not ever again get a bill for watching tv. They are all crooks, literally! I've got a very inexpensive, cheap, frugal, penny-wise, smart set up for my tv and have loved it since the beginning, February 2008! Contact me directly, if you still want good sound advice, suzanrush@yahoo.com. Free ota (over-the-air) digital HD tv is incredible and yes, it's still a huge secret. There is no mainstream information on it because they (the paytv companies) stand to those billions if people start to find out about this. I don't care what anyone says about it always being free ... I live in a dead-zone where I could only pick-up 2 snow channels in analog. Now, the sky's the limit and it's all because of the new digital signal. But you need to know some basics like choosing the most powerful amplified antenna and mounting as high as possible on your roof. Let me know if you are tired of paying outrageous sums of money only to watch broadcast (aka free ota channels) tv anyway. It's stupid to pay for something that's available for FREE!!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:49 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,580,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanrush View Post
Flamingo 13: I cannot recommend getting an antenna enough! It makes tv free! And it's fabulous. It's worth paying someone to install it - to not ever again get a bill for watching tv. They are all crooks, literally! I've got a very inexpensive, cheap, frugal, penny-wise, smart set up for my tv and have loved it since the beginning, February 2008! Contact me directly, if you still want good sound advice, suzanrush@yahoo.com. Free ota (over-the-air) digital HD tv is incredible and yes, it's still a huge secret. There is no mainstream information on it because they (the paytv companies) stand to those billions if people start to find out about this. I don't care what anyone says about it always being free ... I live in a dead-zone where I could only pick-up 2 snow channels in analog. Now, the sky's the limit and it's all because of the new digital signal. But you need to know some basics like choosing the most powerful amplified antenna and mounting as high as possible on your roof. Let me know if you are tired of paying outrageous sums of money only to watch broadcast (aka free ota channels) tv anyway. It's stupid to pay for something that's available for FREE!!!!!
It all depends on what you want to watch. If you are satisfied with only getting a handful of channels such as: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW and PBS as well as a couple independent and foreign language stations, than an antenna will serve you fine. If you like any of the other stations MTV, VH1, HGTV, HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc. you simply can't get those over-the-air. Also, if you watch a lot of sports you aren't watching anything but the playoffs or a handful of games for baseball, basketball or hockey unless you have cable or satellite. You can get football and NASCAR, but that's about it.

So, it really comes down to what you like to watch. If you're one of those people with basic cable, it makes no sense to keep it as you can get the same thing for free over-the-air. If you're someone with more than basic cable who mainly watches the cable channels, you might lose out on a lot.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,805,837 times
With Internet service only and compatible PC, you do have options...
Quote:
PlayOn Minimum Requirements

The following are the minimum requirements for the PlayOn PC software.

PlayOn Minimum Requirements | PlayOn
Quote:
What is PlayOn?PlayOn is software that you install on your Windows PC. It allows you to use your Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, iPhone, Android phone or another supported device to access movies and shows from content providers like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, CBS, YouTube, MLB.tv, your personal media, and many more.
And as susanrush advises, an antenna for local news and weather.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,370,244 times
OTA is useless for landline, cable, weather, Internet and VOIP. If you're surrounded by heavily forested areas and cliffs and you're 50 miles from the nearest brandcast station save your money. If you are really lucky you might get*an AM radio station, but don't count on it, either. I am not hysterical*enough to build a 100' tower to "get" free tv; I'd still pay for the eletricity. I get what i want through cable and I don't have to worry about lightening striking the antenna, jumping the wire and starting a house fire which is what happened in 1970; it caused $30k damage to a 4-bd. brick house. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics