U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM

5,442 posts, read 5,852,517 times
Default How to hook up ROKU box (to old tv, have cable)

My cable/internet/digital phone is bundled.

I have an old tv that does have the yellow/white/red inputs. These are currently hooked up to.....IDK either the TWC box or my cheap DVD player.
All the TV has is the red/yellow/white and cable input.

In a bedroom (same floor but 30-40 feet away) I have a.....internet cable box hooked to a cisco router for wireless.

The internet box has
power line1&2 phone ethernet (used) USB (not used) coax? cable (goes to wall)

Cisco Linksys
Internet (plugged into above ethernet) 1 through 4 ethernet phone jack looking things - non used

Possible Issue: So I can use my netbook wireless but I think I'm actually useing an open line because I don't remember my password and when my netbook had to be wiped and reloaded.....

Step 1

Since I dont have HDMI my option is RCA
Connect the yellow copnnect to video port on the ROKU and the video in port on TV. Connect red and white to audio - except the already have cables plugged in from the cable box or DVD player

Step 2, batteries for remote and power

Step 3

The Roku instructions are for
Wireless
"Place your planer within range of your wireless network (has a picture of a box with little antenna)

Wired
Use an ethernet cable (sold separately) to connect your player to your to your router

Ok - so the router is way in a different room

I'm sort of lost here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,724,958 times
See if you can follow the diagramme attached.

Since we have three TV sets, we yank the ROKU box, from one TV set to the other ...

One last thing.
You may want to re-evaluate your Cable TV subscription.
What do you really watch via that Cable box ?
What will you be watching on your ROKU box ?

We stopped our $82/month Cable, and replaced it with a $9/month Netflix account.
Our regular TV can watch the local channels!

Alles klar, oder ???
Attached Thumbnails
How to hook up ROKU box (to old tv, have cable)-rokuhookup.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 05-01-2011 at 12:17 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 AM

Es ist etwas klar, danke

So I'm going to have to go back to blockbuster and return the RF modulator they sent me home with and hope they have some sort of switch device with multiple input/output for red/white/yellow in order to have the DVD and ROKU hooked up at the same time....
or
should I just tape the DVD R/W/Y cables up for easy reach and just rip the cables on and off? I suspect I'll leave the ROKU hooked up most of the time.
Or will that mean that I have to re....load/initialize/whatever the Roku everytime I do that?

I did stream something last night - my router doesn't have ant but somehow it is picking up a wireless signal.

that is something I need to address. I'm using an unsecurity signal because I can't remember/figure out how to....get back into my own......account? (I always feel like I'm using the wrong term)

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 AM

Es ist etwas klar, danke

So I'm going to have to go back to blockbuster and return the RF modulator they sent me home with and hope they have some sort of switch device with multiple input/output for red/white/yellow in order to have the DVD and ROKU hooked up at the same time....
or
should I just tape the DVD R/W/Y cables up for easy reach and just rip the cables on and off? I suspect I'll leave the ROKU hooked up most of the time.
Or will that mean that I have to re....load/initialize/whatever the Roku everytime I do that?

I did stream something last night - my router doesn't have ant but somehow it is picking up a wireless signal.

that is something I need to address. I'm using an unsecurity signal because I can't remember/figure out how to....get back into my own......account? (I always feel like I'm using the wrong term)

Oh and, when I was trying to set up the Roku/Netflix account and then stream something I had to keep doing new Roku numbers over and over. Is that normal? Everytime you stream do you need to enter a new Roku number?

Last edited by Giesela; 05-01-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,479 posts, read 20,806,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Oh and, when I was trying to set up the Roku/Netflix account and then stream something I had to keep doing new Roku numbers over and over. Is that normal? Everytime you stream do you need to enter a new Roku number?
That's not normal. It usually means you haven't been successful at tying the Roku box to your Netflix account.

The only way it should ever come untied from the account is if you go onto the Netflix web site and remove it from the list of devices.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Es ist etwas klar, danke
Nah so was !! Nur *etwas* ???

Whoaaa ... halt, stop ... , moment bitte ...
What is that *Rf Modulator* ?? Look on back or bottom and give us the name of the box, the model number and the serial number. Right now I have no idea what that thing is ...
With the data you can give me, I can probably figure out what it is.
*Blockbuster* sold you the ROKU box ???

or
Can you tell me how the stuff *was* hooked up, *before* you got the ROKU box ? You did mention you had a DVD player and a something box hooked up.
Ripping off cables ... ???
Yes you can do that, but a simple switch box as I showed you on the hook-up sketch, is a simple way to do that, and the box is not that costly.
By the way ... , ripping at cables or any powered cord, is NOT a good idea. Make sure that when you remove any cord, like cables, or power-cords, you ALWAYS hold on the the connector only and then pull on it. NEVER pull on the cord itself !!!

Or will that mean that I have to re....load/initialize/whatever the Roku every time I do that?
As another poster answered you with that, I agree, there is no need to *re-initialise* each time you hook up the ROKU box.
I suggest, you look at the paperwork that came with the ROKU box. Now find the phone number for help, and have them do the initialising of the Box and Netflix.
Be close to your ROKU box when you call them, because you have to give them some data that is *on* the ROKU box.

I did stream something last night - my router doesn't have ant(enna) but somehow it is picking up a wireless signal.
It is the *somehow* that has me puzzled. So that we do know what is going on, I suggest, you send me a Private Message, or Direct Message, and share private-mail addresses, so we can get this correct.

that is something I need to address. I'm using an unsecurity (unsecured) signal because I can't remember/figure out how to....get back into my own......account? (I always feel like I'm using the wrong term)
Tell us which Internet subscriber you have and how it is hooked up now.
Also the router part number. From there I can give you instructions on how to get it *secured*. Do NOT give us any password data (a long list of seemingly random characters), or any other data that looks like a password.

It is NOT the *sharing* of an internet connection that is bad, but any use of YOUR connection to do illegal things, could lead YOU into serious trouble !!!

Oh and, when I was trying to set up the Roku/Netflix account and then stream something I had to keep doing new Roku numbers over and over. Is that normal? Every time you stream do you need to enter a new Roku number?

Once you have the ROKU box properly intialised, and done all the other stuff you must do, there is no need to do this but once.
Keep in mind ... IF your router has a wireless capability, then you do NOT have to connect the Router to the ROKU box with a *cat5* cable (good when router and Roku are NOT in same room). At least I think all ROKU boxes (there are 3 kinds) have wireless connections.

*Wissen ist Macht, nichts wissen macht auch nichts*
Attached Thumbnails
How to hook up ROKU box (to old tv, have cable)-media-hook-up.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 05-01-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Whoaaa ... halt, stop ... , moment bitte ...
What is that *Rf Modulator* ?? Look on back or bottom and give us the name of the box, the model number and the serial number. Right now I have no idea what that thing is ...
With the data you can give me, I can probably figure out what it is.
*Blockbuster* sold you the ROKU box ???

Yes, got the Roku at BB. The RF modulator is apparently for old old TV's with no R/W/Y at all, its a box with R/W/Y, ant in, S video, channel 3 4 switch Ohms switch and "to TV" cable post, Brand Dynex. I think the BB guy thought I had a TV without even any R/W/Y at all when i said I had an old TV
or
Can you tell me how the stuff *was* hooked up, *before* you got the ROKU box ? You did mention you had a DVD player and a something box hooked up.
Ripping off cables ... ???
Yes you can do that, but a simple switch box as I showed you on the hook-up sketch, is a simple way to do that, and the box is not that costly.
By the way ... , ripping at cables or any powered cord, is NOT a good idea. Make sure that when you remove any cord, like cables, or power-cords, you ALWAYS hold on the the connector only and then pull on it. NEVER pull on the cord itself !!!

"Ripping just a figure of speech Have normal setup, Time Warner Cable box, DVD player, old analog tv with one set of R/W/Y and a cable in. Unplugged the R/W/Y coming from the DVD to TV and plugged the Roku to the TV

Or will that mean that I have to re....load/initialize/whatever the Roku every time I do that?
As another poster answered you with that, I agree, there is no need to *re-initialise* each time you hook up the ROKU box.
I suggest, you look at the paperwork that came with the ROKU box. Now find the phone number for help, and have them do the initialising of the Box and Netflix. Be close to your ROKU box when you call them, because you have to give them some data that is *on* the ROKU box.

I did stream something last night - my router doesn't have ant(enna) but somehow it is picking up a wireless signal.
It is the *somehow* that has me puzzled. So that we do know what is going on, I suggest, you send me a Private Message, or Direct Message, and share private-mail addresses, so we can get this correct.

I have an old eMAC in the spare bedroom hooked to a.....Time Warner Cable internet box (is this called a router or not?) In that mix I also have a Cisco....something that gives me wireless to my netbook in the living room, but it doesn't have antenna's. When I first brought it home I'd had it configured by BB and I think I had a password. Since then I've had to reload my netbook and don't know the password or which one of the networks that shows up is mine, well maybe the unsecured linksys one I use I don't know. So I do have wireless though not with something with antenna's so that's sort of throwing me

that is something I need to address. I'm using an unsecurity (unsecured) signal because I can't remember/figure out how to....get back into my own......account? (I always feel like I'm using the wrong term)
Tell us which Internet subscriber you have and how it is hooked up now.
Also the router part number. From there I can give you instructions on how to get it *secured*. Do NOT give us any password data (a long list of seemingly random characters), or any other data that looks like a password.
It is NOT the *sharing* of an internet connection that is bad, but any use of YOUR connection to do illegal things, could lead YOU into serious trouble !!!

Oh and, when I was trying to set up the Roku/Netflix account and then stream something I had to keep doing new Roku numbers over and over. Is that normal? Every time you stream do you need to enter a new Roku number?

Once you have the ROKU box properly intialised, and done all the other stuff you must do, there is no need to do this but once.

I watched something today and it didn't ask me for a new number so I guess it finally 'took'

Keep in mind ... IF your router has a wireless capability, then you do NOT have to connect the Router to the ROKU box with a *cat5* cable (good when router and Roku are NOT in same room). At least I think all ROKU boxes (there are 3 kinds) have wireless connections.

So sometime this week to BB to return RF Modulator and ask for the switch thing so I can switch between DVD and Roku right. Still wish I understood my wireless better and could secure i.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM

Giesela,

I guess, you have most of your *problems* taken care of.

Now just return that *box* to BB and get your money back.
You do not need it, since your TV has the Y,W,R, RCA plugs.

Now get that switch box and hook it up like the sketch I made.
You will find small buttons on top or front of that switch box,
you can then push to get the proper input, without having to change the wiring.
If BB does not have one, you can get one at Radio Shack or Walmart.

Once you know which button gives you what, you can label them.

If you have a Netflix account, you should also be able to watch Netflix on your laptop/netbook.

LBNL, On the ROKU box, there is a slew of *free* channels you can watch.
One of them is *Crackle*. Just use the remote, go to the Channel Store, and *subscribe*.

Attached *my* set-up at home.
Some day I will get a *new TV* for the Family room.
In our bedroom and office we actually have 32 inch TV/Computer Monitors which I hook up my laptop to, once and a while.
Today, you can get the modern HD capable TV/computer monitors for almost the same as a good TV monitor only. Just watch the sales.
Just make sure that the TV/monitor is 1080 resolution capable and has a refresh rate of 120 Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
How to hook up ROKU box (to old tv, have cable)-media-hook-up-irman.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 05-03-2011 at 04:39 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 AM

185 posts, read 502,605 times
Just bought our Roku box a few days ago and was excited to finally get to watch Netflix here at the hotel ( not alot of channel choices)..hooked the Roku up to the TV and it found the wireless here at the hotel ...then that was it. Nothing...Nada...called Roku tech support they said call the IT person here at hotel...did that and his response was " It's not compatible..guess you need to get your money back"..
I am Really disappointed..I have a Netflix account and am tired of having to watch it on the computer. Any suggestions? Is there any other way I can hooked this up? If not..then what do I need to hook my computer up to the TV? At least then maybe I can do Netflix like that. We are on the road alot and I am spending a bundle on renting DVDs!! Thanks!!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,479 posts, read 20,806,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Just bought our Roku box a few days ago and was excited to finally get to watch Netflix here at the hotel ( not alot of channel choices)..hooked the Roku up to the TV and it found the wireless here at the hotel ...then that was it. Nothing...Nada...called Roku tech support they said call the IT person here at hotel...did that and his response was " It's not compatible..guess you need to get your money back"..
I am Really disappointed..I have a Netflix account and am tired of having to watch it on the computer. Any suggestions? Is there any other way I can hooked this up? If not..then what do I need to hook my computer up to the TV? At least then maybe I can do Netflix like that. We are on the road alot and I am spending a bundle on renting DVDs!! Thanks!!
Wireless Internet at hotels usually requires a web browser to connect and agree to the user agreement. The Roku box doesn't have a web browser, so you would not be able to use it with most hotel Internet connections. The Roku box uses a lot of bandwidth, so even if you could use it, a shared connection like a hotel, where dozens of other users are connecting at the same time, might not have enough bandwidth for you and those other users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics