Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You also have the option of using cablecards for cable channels w/o a box.

Their FAQ says you lose the On Demand which on find myself using the most. I can watch nearly any TV series, free movies very little advertisements and movies from Starz since I have the Starz package anytime I want without any additional costs. In I just watched a half hour Bobby Flay show, 2 short ads.....

Having said that looks like they charge $2.50 for it and it might be a good idea for some of these extra TV's like the one in the basement that doesn't get a lot of use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Their FAQ says you lose the On Demand which on find myself using the most. I can watch nearly any TV series, free movies very little advertisements and movies from Starz since I have the Starz package anytime I want without any additional costs. In I just watched a half hour Bobby Flay show, 2 short ads.....

Having said that looks like they charge $2.50 for it and it might be a good idea for some of these extra TV's like the one in the basement that doesn't get a lot of use.
Yea... It's good to know all your options and choose what makes sense for you. The way Comcast presents it, they kind of hide the cheaper options... but they are required to carry them. I gave up on on-demand since I got netflix, but it's a nice feature for sure.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times
Bought an antenna ($15).. getting like ~30 channels. Not getting my local PBS lol -- which is WHYY Channel 12, it's literally right across the bridge from me.. I'm also not getting ABC. My first channel is Channel 3.1 CBS .. then it goes right to NBC Channel 10.1 ... lol!

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Yes, I plugged it in and scanned it through air, and not cable.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Bought an antenna ($15).. getting like ~30 channels. Not getting my local PBS lol -- which is WHYY Channel 12, it's literally right across the bridge from me.. I'm also not getting ABC. My first channel is Channel 3.1 CBS .. then it goes right to NBC Channel 10.1 ... lol!

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Yes, I plugged it in and scanned it through air, and not cable.
Unfortunately, us NJ folks don't have affiliate networks (We rely on NY and Philadelphia). So our reception is not the best. I live in Princeton area, which is far from both cities, but had success with a rooftop antenna that extends 12.1 feet from the roof. Is your antenna indoor or rooftop?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Unfortunately, us NJ folks don't have affiliate networks (We rely on NY and Philadelphia). So our reception is not the best. I live in Princeton area, which is far from both cities, but had success with a rooftop antenna that extends 12.1 feet from the roof. Is your antenna indoor or rooftop?
I live in an apartment complex so it has to be indoor. I don't even have a balcony >_< .. but I am on the 10th floor, which is also the top floor.

We took the antenna into the bedroom, the TV there is closer to the window, and we received a few more channels. Unfortunately, our TV in the living room can't be arranged closer to the window due to the poor layout in here with outlets (and also the way it's shaped, hard to explain.. but yeah, we tried)

Despite that, we might upgrade and try a more amplified one. We did see a $30 one we might try. If it doesn't work well, we'll keep our simple $10 a month. While playing around with the antenna in the bedroom, we realized one thing about antennas (at least, some of them).. they can be sensitive. He picked it up to move it around while we looked to see which channels we had, and channels would freeze or start to get static'y.

This brings me to another question/issue. Like I've said earlier, I traded my HD cable boxes and they gave me DTA. I was then told by you guys that the DTA is ONLY for old TVs. So I just plug my cable directly into my TV, scan "cable" and I'm good to go. For the most part, I thought it was just that simple! We were lazy and didn't feel like unhooking the DTA from the one in the bedroom until last night after we decided on returning the antenna... Well, we plugged the cable directly into the TV, scanned for cable channels... and we get "more" channels than our living room TV ...?!?!

We realized that some channels didn't match up, and we also have some duplicates of some channels, too! We had a few major network channels a few times, like I believe I had CBS 3x in standard and 3x in HD.. same for ABC and NBC, but Fox was just standard and HD.

As the channels got higher, I noticed that the channel names were called "RF"? We even got high as "118.10" on our bedroom TV. We even got a few more channels in there, than we did in the living room.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this makes sense.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
they can be sensitive. He picked it up to move it around while we looked to see which channels we had, and channels would freeze or start to get static'y.
Over analog that slight movement might just make your picture get a little snowy but you can still see it. With digital it's either perfect picture or unwatchable.

If you have converter, at least the one I was using, it would tell you the signal strength.

Quote:
Like I've said earlier, I traded my HD cable boxes and they gave me DTA. I was then told by you guys that the DTA is ONLY for old TVs.
It will work on any TV but it only outputs 3:4 over cable which is SD, at least that's the case with the DTA Comcast uses, it's pretty useless for a HD widescreen TV.

Quote:

So I just plug my cable directly into my TV, scan "cable" and I'm good to go.
Again I can only speak for the Comcast service but the channels over just the cable are very limited. Might be 20 and most of those are local, with the DTA you get about 200.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM

13 posts, read 18,192 times
I have been off cable and satalite for 2 1/2 years now and no regrets. Sure there are some things I don't get but with all the other streaming stuff I do get, I have more than enough content to watch. I work in high tech and was responsible for developing home theater platforms.

Here is a blog i wrote a long time ago that listed all sorts of online content. I don't know how many of these are still valid, but it's worth a look.

h t t p ://blogs.amd.com/home/2009/02/09/give-me-online-video-or-give-me-death

Old 05-31-2011, 08:46 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
thanks, maybe i'll try that one. the RCA model was not good.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 18,192 times
Quote:
I live in an apartment complex so it has to be indoor. I don't even have a balcony >_< .. but I am on the 10th floor, which is also the top floor.

We took the antenna into the bedroom, the TV there is closer to the window, and we received a few more channels. Unfortunately, our TV in the living room can't be arranged closer to the window due to the poor layout in here with outlets (and also the way it's shaped, hard to explain.. but yeah, we tried)

Despite that, we might upgrade and try a more amplified one. We did see a $30 one we might try. If it doesn't work well, we'll keep our simple $10 a month. While playing around with the antenna in the bedroom, we realized one thing about antennas (at least, some of them).. they can be sensitive. He picked it up to move it around while we looked to see which channels we had, and channels would freeze or start to get static'y.

This brings me to another question/issue. Like I've said earlier, I traded my HD cable boxes and they gave me DTA. I was then told by you guys that the DTA is ONLY for old TVs. So I just plug my cable directly into my TV, scan "cable" and I'm good to go. For the most part, I thought it was just that simple! We were lazy and didn't feel like unhooking the DTA from the one in the bedroom until last night after we decided on returning the antenna... Well, we plugged the cable directly into the TV, scanned for cable channels... and we get "more" channels than our living room TV ...?!?!

We realized that some channels didn't match up, and we also have some duplicates of some channels, too! We had a few major network channels a few times, like I believe I had CBS 3x in standard and 3x in HD.. same for ABC and NBC, but Fox was just standard and HD.

As the channels got higher, I noticed that the channel names were called "RF"? We even got high as "118.10" on our bedroom TV. We even got a few more channels in there, than we did in the living room.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this makes sense.

I built an OTA antenna out of wire coathangers and some wood. It is a bowtie type and works pretty good for me. I live about 15 miles from downtown and 30+ miles from the broadcast towers with hills and buildings in between and it still picks up stuff pretty good.

I built one for my dad in AZ and it works OK. It gave him better picture on some stations and not as good on others. I think it is because his stations are all over the frequency bands and coming from multiple directions so it is has to be repositioned depending on which station he wants.

You can find plans to build one online. Just look up DIY HD antenna and you should find several youtube videos. It takes about 30 mins to make it and costs under $10. If you can work a screw driver, wire cutters, and a tape measure, you can do it pretty easy.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
There is no such thing as a digital antenna, or an HDTV antenna. It is still plain old VHF or UHF. Don't get ripped off by false advertising.
True, but you can actually get a better HD signal from OTA antenna than you can from our HD cable box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics