Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,635,906 times

Advertisements

yes cassette players! I use CD's too but have not yet graduated to MP3 territory

anyhow. i have a 6 year old memorex cassette/CD player. when i play cassettes lately i get a high frequency sound that erupts into a vibrating sound. after cleaning the heads with cassette cleaner it stops but after awhile it starts again. this is more with homemade cassettes taped off a turntable (YES HOMEMADE CASSSETTES TAPED OFF A TURNTABLE!) but it can happen with pre made cassettes as well

has the cassette system seen better days or can anything be done?

another question. are there any devices to boost the sound of a one speaker cassette player(YES A ONE SPEAKER CASSETTE PLAYER!!), something you can plug into the earphone jack to boost the sound? i know i can do this from a walkman(YES A WALKMAN!)

I joke about this because many think cassettes and walkmans are outdated today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,655,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
yes cassette players! I use CD's too but have not yet graduated to MP3 territory

anyhow. i have a 6 year old memorex cassette/CD player. when i play cassettes lately i get a high frequency sound that erupts into a vibrating sound. after cleaning the heads with cassette cleaner it stops but after awhile it starts again. this is more with homemade cassettes taped off a turntable (YES HOMEMADE CASSSETTES TAPED OFF A TURNTABLE!) but it can happen with pre made cassettes as well

has the cassette system seen better days or can anything be done?

another question. are there any devices to boost the sound of a one speaker cassette player(YES A ONE SPEAKER CASSETTE PLAYER!!), something you can plug into the earphone jack to boost the sound? i know i can do this from a walkman(YES A WALKMAN!)

I joke about this because many think cassettes and walkmans are outdated today

I'm right there with you , mate. The old stuff is still the good stuff IMO.

Try to find a degausser to strip the excess magnetism that's built up on the players heads over time. That should fix the problem. If not it's new player time.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Default it's called

a DEGAUSSER? would Target and Radio Shack sell them? BTW, thanks for the reply

Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
a DEGAUSSER? would Target and Radio Shack sell them? BTW, thanks for the reply
They might. I have one from a loooong time ago since I used to bulk erase video tapes. I bought it from Radio Shack back then.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,381,589 times
I dont have any answers but I had to rep you, both for your humorous post and your still using a cassette player. I thought I was the only one.;

Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM

23,569 posts, read 70,239,109 times
Is the squeal coming from the cassette itself, or from the speaker or from the player? Cassettes have a lubrication sheet or lubricant in them. As they get old they can stick and squeal.

If you use an alcohol based head cleaner, you may be damaging the "rubber" capstan roller. Or, you may have a drive system that is squealing and needs cleaning and rejuvenating. Office supply stores sell a pad restorer that works equally well on rubber ink jet rollers and capstans and other drive parts.

Degaussing can be done with a simple magnet. It is not quite as good as using a coil, but it works.

If you want to boost the volume, you can use the speaker output to drive a "matching transformer" and then use any amplifier or soundcard.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Default texas fire

sony stopped making cassette walkmans either earlier this year or last year. i have a sony cassette and a sony CD walkman that i want to keep until they get run into the ground. a guy in my neighborhood always tells me it's great to see someone(me) with a cassette walkman these days

harry-how could i use the speaker output to drive a matching transformer? what specifically would I do? what equipment would i use or buy?

hard to know where it comes from. not a squeal but like radio static which gets louder and louder and overpowers the sound of the cassette

Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
sony stopped making cassette walkmans either earlier this year or last year. i have a sony cassette and a sony CD walkman that i want to keep until they get run into the ground. a guy in my neighborhood always tells me it's great to see someone(me) with a cassette walkman these days

harry-how could i use the speaker output to drive a matching transformer? what specifically would I do? what equipment would i use or buy?

hard to know where it comes from. not a squeal but like radio static which gets louder and louder and overpowers the sound of the cassette
It's the heads , mate.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:12 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,381,589 times
I buy my cassette players on eBay. I listen to Books on Tape every day as I'm walking my dog and whenever I'm driving anywhere or waiting at the doctor's office, etc...at least 4-5 hours a day of use. I'm not savvy enough to fix them so, when something wears out after 5-6 years, I just buy another one on eBay.

31 memorex cassette/cd players:
memorex cassette player -adapter | eBay

Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM

Default 3 years ago

in late 2008 i bought another memorex boombox in Rite Aid to eventually replace my 2005 model but the 2008 model looked tackier and i didn't care for the sound. the styling was stodgier than my 2005 so i returned it. i still am searching. so tightwad what can i do to restore the heads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics