U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM

22,012 posts, read 23,544,984 times

Advertisements

I think the poster was referring to the specific "Oregon" model, not any Garmin. I believe the Oregon is more for hiking. My DD likes her Garmin. Not sure the model but overall they seem to be one of the more popular brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 PM

19,103 posts, read 19,965,339 times
Katz, Looks like prices start at about $100.00 and go up from that point depending alot on features.

The GPS PitChick mentioned is strictly for hiking on trails. Also, try and pick one with free lifetime map updates.

If you go to their Home Page you can see the various types of GPS units they make.

Here are Garmins and Magellans automotive GPS units to compare.

Magellan Vehicle Navigators - The Best GPS for Your Car or Truck

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM

19,103 posts, read 19,965,339 times
Here are a couple of reviews that I found in CD's Reviews sub forum in the Shopping forum.

Review of Garmin nüvi 3790T 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator

Review of Garmin 1450LMT GPS

Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,714,444 times
I love my Garmin Nuvi. When I get another GPS, I will get a Garmin. I will also invest in one with lifetime updates. Updating the maps/points of interest (POI) is so expensive; IMO it's really worth the investment to get them included.

Mine has Bluetooth, and while I quit using it after awhile, I do use the POI menus to find phone numbers which were not available on my prior non-blue tooth model. That may be standard now.

I don't know if they are yet offering voice recognition. If they do, I would definitely jump on it.

And it's probably standard by now, but definitely get street directions announcements. Don't get one that says "turn right in 100 feet". Instead, make sure you get one that says "Turn right onto Elm Street in 100 feet."

I love my Garmin Nuvi. I have no idea how I lived without it. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 PM

22,184 posts, read 22,657,409 times
Thank you, everybody! I really appreciate the input. (That doesn't mean I won't check back for more posts.) That gives me some good information to head into a store with.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM

40,061 posts, read 48,934,431 times
We're retired and travel alot, we bought a Garmin last year, Best Buy, $149.95, big screen, e-z to manipulate, no bells and whistle, map up dates included, get's us there and back easily. Can be taken in your purse or pocket and used for walking around un-familiar tourist spots.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:59 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,412,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Also, two people so far have mentioned Garmin, but one of them said they wouldn't recommend it for driving directions. Any input on that?

That was me who said
"I use mine for geocaching - Garmin Oregon."

The Oregon is great for hiking and geocaching, not so good for driving.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 AM

700 posts, read 1,693,853 times
I'm not a big fan of the ones that announce the street. Maybe because I'm from the Northeast, and when you get up into that neck of the woods and she's trying to pronounce Native American names for streets and roads ....well let's just say it might as well be talking to you in Swahili. You still have to look at the screen. Get a load of how Kancamagus or Piscataqua is pronounced and you want to smack the unit off the dashboard.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM

468 posts, read 1,315,898 times
A couple of years ago I purchased a Navigon GPS with a 4.3 inch color touchscreen. It came with a car charger, a USB charger, and a holder that attaches to the windshield via a suction cup.

It tells you the name of the street, or highway, to use, and how much distance remains before the next turn/exit/etc.

The GPS also has a bluetooth connection that works just fine. However, I drive a truck and the background noise can be kind of loud for the person on the other end of the line.

It's kind of freaky how those GPS's know exactly where you are. Yes, I know that's what a GPS is for. But, I'm talking about signs and such. For instance, when I pass a speed limit sign the speed limit indicator on the screen will change within about 20 ft of me passing the sign.

How the heck does it know there is a sign there?

When I enter a construction zone the "construction" icon will appear on the GPS screen. Who told the GPS satellite that the Dept. of Transportation decided to do some road work at that location?

So far my Navigon has successfully directed me to where I wanted to go.

The only exception was my fault. My girlfriend (now fiancee) and I were taking a trip to Wichita Falls, TX. I had the speaker volume up on the GPS so I could hear the turn by turn directions. My girlfriend was talking to me so I reached up to lower the volume on the GPS.

The female GPS voice said "softer". About that same time we hit a very small bump in the road. While my finger was still on the volume button I accidentally hit the "up" selection. The female GPS voice said "louder".

Well, apparently, that female voice saying "softer", "louder", caused my face to turn red. My girlfriend was laughing so hard that I missed where I was supposed to turn. The GPS simply recalculated and got us to where we wanted to be.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:52 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,604,585 times
Garmin the are the best and make sure you get one that talks with lifetime free updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics