U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:48 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,952,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Some facts here:
Plasma's are not being phased out, they are selling at a record pace this year. Plasmas do not have the burn out anymore, that problem was eliminated many many years ago. Plasmas have blacker blacks, quicker response time, can been seen from any angle without distortion or loss of brighness. Plasmas do put out more heat than LCD's or LED's. We get no glare from any of our 4 plasmas. They use no more electricity than other equivilant TV's. There is a big difference between 720 and 1080-I in picture quality.
LCD's and LED's are OK and there are many quality built ones out there, but have some drawbacks, especially the distortion from side viewing and the cost.
Your best quality plasmas are Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony. Samsung makes some of Sony's plasma screens.
You might want to replace "Some facts here" with "My Opinions". You may have started out thinking you'd write up a bunch of facts, but actually ended up with a bunch of opinions.

I'll weed out the clarify for the OP:

Plasma's are not being phased out.
-- This is true. Infact, many manufacturers are introducing 3D Plasma TVs to capitalize on the 3D fad at a lower price point. (My opinion is that plasmas will indeed be phased out in the next few years... and LCD prices will drop.)

Plasma vs LCD: blacker blacks, quicker response time, more angle, loss of brighness, glare
-- blacker blacks: Adaptive backlighting in LCD TVs now allow for blacks just as good as Plasma.
-- quicker response time: Plasmas have a quicker response time, but LCD has improved to the point that it doesn't matter anymore.
-- more angle: Plasmas do have more angle. LCDs are have come a long way though, and unless you're standing within a few degrees of horizontal to the screen, it's no longer an issue.
-- loss of brightness is only an issue with older CFL backlit LCDs. Newer CFL backlit and LED backlit LCDs have resolved this. This one is worth doing research on, it's actually very interesting on how creative they got with resolving this one.
-- glare: Both Plasmas and LCDs have different screen finish options that lead to more or less glare.

720P/1080I/1080P
-- At 42 inches, it doesn't really matter unless you're using it as a PC monitor or plan on within 5 to 6 feet of the TV.
-- 720P or 1080P is preferable over 1080i (in the US) if you like to watch any fast paced video like sports, fast action video, or any movies. 1080i creates additional blur in fast paced video, and creates artifacts during the 3:2 pulldown for 24fps films (virtually all Hollywood movies).
-- 1080i is preferred for network television. Most (non-1080p) TVs nowadays do both 720P and 1080i.

Power Usage
-- Not even a contest. LCDs use far less and generate much less heat. LED backlit LCDs use even less power than traditional LCDs while providing higher contrast... but it costs a few more $$.

Drawbacks
-- both have drawbacks. Nitrams post on drawbacks of LCDs makes it come across as pure propaganda, lol.

Some facts here:
-- Plasmas will look better in dead-on sunlight. Infact, you could watch TV outdoors with a Plasma and still get good picture quality. Not the same with LCD. LCD requires indoor lighting without the sun directly shining on it. Walking into a Best Buy and see for yourself how they look in terms of lighting.

-- LCDs are much lighter and thinner. LED backlit LCDs are impressively thin. On your wall, it literally looks like a painting.

-- At lower pricepoints, Plasma TVs tend to have better speakers built in. This is due to the thicker housing available. LCDs try to keep the TV thinner and as a result choose speakers that will not produce as high quality sound. I personally use external speakers.

-- Plasmas suffer from color banding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM

890 posts, read 2,516,493 times
Things I would want to know before deciding to buy Plasma or LCD

1. Where will I put the TV? This gives you the info on what the lighting is.
Sunlight, Indoor light, any shades/curtains needed?

2. What's will I see most? TV, Movies, Sports, Computer? The refresh rate of the TV comes into play for this.

3. Distance from where I am seating to where the TV will be. This should give you the general ball park of the size of TV you will need.

4. Budget, how much are you willing to invest/spend on this item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics