U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 AM

3,857 posts, read 5,383,371 times

Advertisements

Why are almost every one of them on internet complaint boards as being rip-offs? I guess the better question would be, why do we keep buying this stuff? Not only do they not perform as advertised, but, there are countless complaints of credit cards being over charged, or charged repeatedly after the customer has tried to cancel. Add to this, the tales of poor customer service, and downright rudeness. Somebody is falling for this, as they seem to have the money to advertise night and day, ad nauseum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,166,055 times
They spend millions on marketing. They find a product and figure at what price point will people buy regardless of how well the product works. Most people buy based only on what they are told on the tv by theose pitching the products and that's the customers they are after. If you look close at some of the commericals ind info commericals, you can spot the con being used to make that product appear good, but most only see what the hawkers want you to see and if any doubt remains, the price suddenly makes all the doubt dissapear.

They are doing what they set out to do, get people to buy on a sales pitch.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM

492 posts, read 1,254,604 times
Because As Abraham Lincoln said:
'You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time'

Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,050,015 times
I usually wait until I find the item on one of the 'as seen on TV' shelves at a drug store or WalMart. Then, you can at least LOOK at it close up to see if it has a chance of working. The biggest rip-off lately was the portable desk top thing that folded up with all your papers in it. I actually bought one at Walmart for my Dad who travels a lot in his camper. Once we opened it, it was just so cheap looking.
The shower foot scrubbie thing was kinda cool though.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:35 PM

19,864 posts, read 57,080,389 times
I bought some of those velcro snap stick-on things at BB&B after seeing them on TV. Works perfectly on a blouse I have. Same brand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:57 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
My wife bought one of those foot cleaners for the shower an dloves it but she bought it for much less once in wal-mart. Often the big catch is the shipping and handling especaillyon those one free offers.My wife paid the less tha shipping/handling on the second free one for hers.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:26 AM

738 posts, read 983,988 times
I bought Shamwow and Debbie Myer Green Bags. Happy with both. Gave some away and they are happy too. I bought the Ronco knives and they are great for the price.

When you buy over the phone rather than online they take forever trying to sell you other things.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 AM

20,531 posts, read 20,516,247 times
The 'hook' is that some of these things really work!
Finding them locally, without the S/H,as mentioned above, is preferable.
I don't remember what they are called but those long hanging hooks for thin walls are great!
Found them at a Dollar Store
Wish I had bought more while they were there.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM

40,071 posts, read 48,962,399 times
I check out everything at the As Seen On TV Stores at the malls. So far the only item of interest that we purchased is the battery operated can opener which has performed better than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics