U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:40 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 959,654 times

Advertisements

Whatever you do, do not sign up with the Federal Do Not Call Registry. I made that mistake 6 years ago and the number of calls to my mobile went through the ceiling!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 03:00 AM

517 posts, read 393,535 times
We have Ooma phone service.

If a number calling in is not on our contact list, we can set our system to have it go directly to voice mail.

IF they don't allow you to see a source number, we can set the system to say our number is no longer in service, or to ring forever, etc. . . .

Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 PM

4,525 posts, read 1,732,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I shudder to think if they get my cell phone number.
Why??? If you don't pick up the phone, you don't waste any minutes. At least with a cell phone there is that little button/icon that says "Ignore." I use it all the time, for all numbers I don't recognize. It dumps the call directly into voice mail. If it is a legit call, they will leave a message that will be returned. If they aren't legit, oh well...

Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM

24,055 posts, read 29,175,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Why??? If you don't pick up the phone, you don't waste any minutes. At least with a cell phone there is that little button/icon that says "Ignore." I use it all the time, for all numbers I don't recognize. It dumps the call directly into voice mail. If it is a legit call, they will leave a message that will be returned. If they aren't legit, oh well...
I do not have a smart phone, and the one I have does not have an ignore feature. I do now get junk calls on my cell phone, though I no longer get them from the folks that prompted me to start this thread. I generally just do not answer numbers I do not recognize, though there are times when I am expecting calls from tradespeople and I do answer to avoid telephone tag.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 PM

517 posts, read 393,535 times
I have a phone service through the internet, which gives me several options that I use

* ZERO calls that do not allow theirID to show are NEVER allowed to ring;

* Only calls that are on one's contact list are allowed to ring . . . (unless I have it set for them to go straight to voice-mail);

* Block all numbers not listed as contacts, & do either of these things with them:
play Call Blocked message; play Number Disconnected message; Ring Continuously; or, send to voicemail.

This way I can leave my voice-mail off all night & not get any calls that will ring . . .
except emergency calls from friends & family who are listed on my contact list,
& I don't have to turn my voicemail on. (Of course this only works if your friends & family contacts all know & respect when your sleeping hours are.) But, I can also turn on my voicemail for my contacts, if I want. I can also set it to allow me to live-screen the calls that are picked up by my voicemail. (:

Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 571 times
I have ordered a personal safety alarm thingy that emits an extremely loud sound.

Once it arrives and I receive a call I will put on some headphones and start speaking softly to get them listening, and maybe turning up their volume, and then let them have it.

It probably won't help but I will feel a whole lot better.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 571 times
I finally received my noisy alarm and so far have used it twice. The first time was over a week ago and I did not receive another call until today. They hang up very quickly but I know their ears are in pain and that makes me happy.

Only time will tell if this method is going to work but even a full week without any calls was an improvement.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 163 times
I have a cell phone and can get up to 30 calls from US Pharmacy a day.. I block every number that calls me but the calls keep coming.. I've tried being nice and I've tried being rude and nothing works..

Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM

24,055 posts, read 29,175,754 times
I finally just quit answering the phone if I do not recognize the number. They stopped calling me.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 959,654 times
Do not answer any calls that ID as follows:

"City, State
Phone Number
"

If it's really important or someone legitimate, they can leave a voice message - if people still do that in 2019...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics