Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

For some time now I have been receiving calls from these jokers.

The caller has an Indian accent and claims to be with "U S Pharmacy" in Modesto, CA. He initially says he is from the "shipping department". When informed that you have not ordered anything, he offers to sell narcotics with a prescription from a doctor they will provide. Or he may ask for a person who does not live in the household.

Telling them your number is on the Do Not Call list does not work.

I finally did a little research and it appears that they are actually located in India and the numbers that are showing up on the caller ID are nonexistent. Reporting them to the Do Not Call Registry is futile because the phone numbers they use are fake.

I have found reports on complaint forums about this. There seems to be no way to make them stop calling, even when you make it clear that you will not send them money. I found at least one person who did send money and, of course, did not receive any drugs.

The suggestions from other forums ranged from using profanity (one person even gave a translation of a common epithet) to just not answering any calls from unrecognized numbers. Another suggested sending a FAX to the Indian Embassy telling them to fix the problem.

It is obvious they are just thieves, but the calls are annoying and disruptive. Any suggestions on who to contact to see if there is a way to stop them? I foresee others doing it, too. Changing my phone number may work, but I do not want to do that. So far it is just my land line. I shudder to think if they get my cell phone number. I would love to dump the land line altogether, but DH wants to keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Wrong forum, but in reality there is very little you can do about it other than having a live answering service that communicates with you some other way than through the phone to let you know you have a legitimate call. The system is broken and it will get worse. The FTC and telecom companies have their collective fingers up their collective ......

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
I use Ooma for my phone. I believe it lets me block certain numbers. Does your phone company offer anything like that?

Or wait....do they change #'s every time?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I use Ooma for my phone. I believe it lets me block certain numbers. Does your phone company offer anything like that?

Or wait....do they change #'s every time?
The numbers cannot be blocked because they are invalid numbers. The last one I received even had an area code that has not been assigned yet. And they use lots of numbers.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Wrong forum, but in reality there is very little you can do about it other than having a live answering service that communicates with you some other way than through the phone to let you know you have a legitimate call. The system is broken and it will get worse. The FTC and telecom companies have their collective fingers up their collective ......
I had to guess on the proper forum. Nothing else seemed appropriate, and it does appear to be a technology issue. Where should we move the thread to?

It would seem to me that there should be an option to block calls that come from invalid numbers. After all, if you use *69 to try to call them back, you immediately are told the number does not exist. Seems to me this would be a feature people would be willing to pay for.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I can see why you chose to post here. There is an entire huge thread on a scam telemarketer over in personal finance, and shopping is more related to the companies, but you are correct, it is a technical issue you are asking. I stand corrected.

There is no way to know if a phished number is invalid or not. The "Heather" and "Rachel" calls use numbers that still show as residential phones, and in fact some people have been inundated with angry call-backs, when they were just innocent bystanders. SOME calls do phish stuff like 000-000-0000, but those are rare. I got one recently that was a real chuckle. On caller ID, it showed up as SCAM CALL. Unless it was Scientific American being dumb (like they are now), all I can think is that someone was showing a trainee how to phish, and used that as an example.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I can see why you chose to post here. There is an entire huge thread on a scam telemarketer over in personal finance, and shopping is more related to the companies, but you are correct, it is a technical issue you are asking. I stand corrected.

There is no way to know if a phished number is invalid or not. The "Heather" and "Rachel" calls use numbers that still show as residential phones, and in fact some people have been inundated with angry call-backs, when they were just innocent bystanders. SOME calls do phish stuff like 000-000-0000, but those are rare. I got one recently that was a real chuckle. On caller ID, it showed up as SCAM CALL. Unless it was Scientific American being dumb (like they are now), all I can think is that someone was showing a trainee how to phish, and used that as an example.
SCAM CALL!

I think if the vendors want people to keep their land lines, they will need to find a way to identify and eliminate this garbage. If I have to change my number, I might as well just use the cell and drop the land line altogether, if can convince DH to do it.

Looks like the best route right now is to just not answer calls from numbers I do not recognize.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
SCAM CALL!

I think if the vendors want people to keep their land lines, they will need to find a way to identify and eliminate this garbage. If I have to change my number, I might as well just use the cell and drop the land line altogether, if can convince DH to do it.

Looks like the best route right now is to just not answer calls from numbers I do not recognize.
I never answer our land line. If it's important they will leave a message. I actually tell them in my message that we monitor our calls and if they start talking and we are here we will answer. Seems to work pretty well.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Have you contacted your provider and asked them what you ca do?

This is one of the reasons I dropped my land line, since then (two years ago) I have had one marketeer call, zero scam calls on my cell.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. The Do Not Call registry has absolutely no teeth, it is impossible to get a complaint looked at or listened to or get a response from anyone to a complaint. Callers can phone with complete impunity, and never get caught or prosecuted.

If you Google for help, you will get a complaint form, which simply places your complaint in some kind of a registry. Your complaint will not be passed along to any law enforcement agency, and if you call 911 or any other enforcement agency, you will simply be referred to the online complaint form, or you will be given a phone number where you can leave your address, and you will be mailed such a form.

Callers like that, like everyone else in America, are protected by the Constitution. If you believe someone has violated the DNC law, they are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, and the onus is on the recipient of the calls to identify the caller, prove who they are, and prove in court that they in fact made an illegal call to your telephone. And after doing so, you will receive no compensation for doing the police and detective and prosecution work necessary to get a conviction, which would result in almost no penalty at all. Good Luck.

Why these people are not calling cell-phones is a complete mystery to me. If I were them, I'd have a dialer that would call every cell phone, since nobody can do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics