Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 07:05 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

As others have written, there really is no way to stop these calls. The do-not-call list is USELESS against illegal scam callers -- they are criminals so why would they pay attention to the do-not-call list? And on many phones you can block particular numbers, but of course you can only do that AFTER they call you the first time, and they change their numbers so frequently it's barely worth it.

I don't have a land line any more, so all these calls come to my cell. It has gotten so bad that the DEFAULT I use on my iPhone is a silent ring tone -- it doesn't stop the calls, but at least I never hear them. When I see a number that I don't recognize, I do a quick google search and sure enough, 99% of the time it is a scam call. So I add the number to my "F***ING ILLEGAL CALLS" contact (yeah, it's really called that ), but again, the scammers change their numbers so frequently that this doesn't really work.

Family members and friends have a different ring tone (actually several different ones) so I hear those calls!

I have an iPhone 3GS and really don't need to upgrade. I thought about it when I saw that iPhone 5 could block numbers (earlier versions can't unless you jailbreak them, at least from everything I've read), but again, you can't block a number until after they call you the first time, and then they seldom use that same number again, so it seems pretty pointless.

I think it's pretty bad that my default ringtone is silent, but I simply cannot stand these illegal callers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:47 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
...It has gotten so bad that the DEFAULT I use on my iPhone is a silent ring tone -- it doesn't stop the calls, but at least I never hear them...Family members and friends have a different ring tone (actually several different ones) so I hear those calls!

This is a very creative idea.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
This is a very creative idea.
Thanks! I do miss a few calls from people I've just met if I haven't yet added them to my contacts list (with normal ringtones), but it's simple enough to add them and of course call them back!

Old 06-17-2014, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,829 times
Default A way to strike back at the endless calls from us pharmacy

I HAVE POSTED BEFORE TELLING EVERYONE THAT THE ROTTEN SLUGS USE MAGIC JACK TO HAVE AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF PHONEY NUMBERS TO CALL US WITH OVER AND OVER. ONCE IN AWHILE THEY WILL USE A NUMBER THAT CAN BE CALLED BACK, EITHER ONE OF THEM WILL ANSWER OR YOU WILL GET AN ANSWERING MACHINE. GO TO K-MART, A MARINA, OR A AUTO ZONE AND MAYBE WAL-MART AND PURCHASE AN AIR HORN USED FOR BOATS, OR SPORTING EVENTS. THE PRICE I PAID WAS AROUND 7.00, WORTH IT'S WEIGH IN GOLD. IT STATES YOU WILL GET APPROX 80 BLASTS ON THE PKG. KEEP IT NEAR YOUR PHONE, WHEN YOU ANSWER, WAIT FOR THEM TO START SPEAKING, MOVE YOUR HEAD AWAY FROM THE PHONE, PUT THE AIR HORN NEAR THE MOUTHPIECE OF YOUR PHONE, GIVE THEM A SHORT BLAST. HANG UP. SOME OF THE IDIOTS WILL CALL BACK SEVERAL TIMES, DO NOT PUT YOUR EAR ON THE PHONE, JUST GIVE THEM ANOTHER BLAST EACH TIME. IF WE CAN GET ENOUGH PEOPLE FIGHTING BACK, JUST MAYBE WE CAN STOP THEM. IF NOT, IT SURE IS FUN TO BLAST THEM INSTEAD OF JUST PUTTING UP WITH THEIR ENDLESS CALLS. I KEEP A RECORD OF EVERY PHONE NUMBER THEY USE, THEN WHEN I HAVE TIME, RUN THRU THEM AGAIN TO SEE IF THEY WILL ANSWER OR HAVE AN ANSWERING MACHINE ON WHICH I PUT A BLAST!!! Lol HERE IS THE ONE I JUST GOT--MIAMI FLA. 1-786--220--5637---A COUPLE OF OTHERS--COOKSTOWN ON. --1--705--458--1111---NORTH CAROLINA--1--984--654--3210 I HAVE SEVERAL PAGES I HAVE LISTED OVER THE PAST YEAR. I JUST STARTED THE AIR BLAST THIS WEEK AND THE CALLS HAVE SLOWED ALREADY. GOODBLASTING--RETIREDKING1998

Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired king View Post
I HAVE POSTED BEFORE...
Your caps lock key seems to have gotten stuck since your last post, might want to get that looked at.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010
The numbers cannot be blocked because they are invalid numbers. The last one I received even had an area code that has not been assigned yet. And they use lots of numbers.
I hear ya Suzy!!

We get calls from all over the country!!!!! -- "Anonymous",etc......... ALL SALES SPAM CRAP...

Old 06-18-2014, 04:44 PM

260 posts, read 908,801 times
I posted for smart phone users before to try out a app called Call Control. It doesn't just block #'s you add to your list. It already has thousands of known spam #'s on a list. The full version costs $7.99 one time until you get a new phone. I have mine set up so if anyone calls with no id, #'s like 5555 etc it hangs up on them. Never even hear a ring. You can check the list of blocked calls. If a spammer does get through add it to you black list and report it to the community button on the app and the company watches this and adds the # to the spam list. When I look at my blocked list now there is nothing on it. They have all stopped calling and texting. I just did a search and the company makes a box you can buy for $110 that will do the same thing. callcontrolhome.com For the cell phone you can go here https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erycallcontrol and scroll down to read about it and click on more. I don't mean to sound like a ad for the Co but I found it when I got a new # that was very hot. It was a new business and I was going nuts.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
This company is still harassing phone customers like me; I get three or four calls every single day on my cell. Verizon's suggestion was to change phone numbers. I suggest consumers get together and press for a federal bill to force Verizon and the FCC to install technology and impose international fines on India until this is resolved. President Obama went after private U.S. citizens' bank accounts in Switzerland; thus, the U.S. government can go after this problem also.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
just talk to them. waste their time if youre bored. I actually have a script I follow:

Let me tell you something. I was overseas once as part of a merc unit. I still can't believe the truth and reconciliation council gave us all amnesty, anyways I remember we were taking a village that was heavily defended. So people are dying left and right and all of sudden this guy decides to run at me with a spoon. A SPOON HAHAHA! So I had two of my guys hold him down while I scooped his stupid little eyeballs out with it and his kids are there all crying like WAAHHHH! And he's runnin' into stuff and... hahaha! Oh man... I guess you had to be there. Anyways the moral of the story is that you're a ****.

It tends to throw some of them off a bit. I stole it shamelessly from a online game and modified it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
There was this stupid RESEARCH company that kept calling just about everyday about some survey they are doing and I finally answered it and said this

"THANK YOU FOR CALLING TACO BELL .. THIS IS TIM MAY I HELP YOU?"

The lady said "Oh im sorry i have the wrong number" and i said "Thats ok" .. So far they havent called back.. (This was yesterday)

This is a very nice/non confrontal way of getting rid of them (If they fall for it) ..... WE DIDNT AUTHORISE THEM TO CALL HERE,WE DONT WANT TO TAKE THIER BLOODY STUPID SURVEY!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics