U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,691,757 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a home stereo system. I'm looking for something that is fairly light and compact and easy to use. I don't really need the very best or expensive system. My budget is up to $2000. My house is already prewired and has speakers. I really just need an amplifier/hub. Can anyone recommend one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 03:43 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,398,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Can anyone recommend a home stereo system. I'm looking for something that is fairly light and compact and easy to use. I don't really need the very best or expensive system. My budget is up to $2000. My house is already prewired and has speakers. I really just need an amplifier/hub. Can anyone recommend one?
Harmon Kardon, Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo would be among a few choices.

Here is the Crutchfield link. I find they are very helpful and can definitely help you build a system suitable to your specific needs.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 AM

954 posts, read 1,136,940 times
I've always had Pioneer, great brand, and they have a feature (forget what it's called) wherein you plug in a microhpone, and it automatically calibrates your sound system (no more setting speaker size, distance, bass, treble, etc).

Any features you want? Wireless airplay, bluetooth, HDMI audio and video pass through?

Does the receiver need to be 5.1, or is it going to be used simply to power speakers in several rooms of the house?.. If several rooms, will you want a system you can control remotely?.. Some additional details might yield a more helpful response.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
I've always had Pioneer, great brand, and they have a feature (forget what it's called) wherein you plug in a microhpone, and it automatically calibrates your sound system (no more setting speaker size, distance, bass, treble, etc).

Any features you want? Wireless airplay, bluetooth, HDMI audio and video pass through?

Does the receiver need to be 5.1, or is it going to be used simply to power speakers in several rooms of the house?.. If several rooms, will you want a system you can control remotely?.. Some additional details might yield a more helpful response.
Thanks for the detailed response. I am really ignorant on this subject so bear with me.

What is 5.1? Can a 5.1 receiver power speakers in multiple rooms? They had a Samsung, Sony and Bose 5.1 channel home stereo system. The Sony and Samsung were $300 but had Blue Ray players. The Bose system was $700. Would these systems adequately power the multiple speakers I have all over my house? The home I bought came with a Niles amplifier that is about 8 years old and I want to replace it.

Yes, I'm looking for something with a Blue Ray player and a remote that has an I-Pod adaptor.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 PM

5.1 is basically a home theater system, the 5 refers to the discrete number of speakers (in this case left, center, right, rear left, rear right). and the .1 refers to your subwoofer (you could have 2, in which case it would be a 5.1 system, or you could have 7 speakers, in which case it would be a 7.1, etc).

A 5.1 receiver can power multiple zones (usually only two) for separate rooms (basically it'll have an extra speaker output for left and right (stereo) speakers).

How many rooms will have speakers? That is how many "zones" your system will need to support.

The easiest way to do this is to get a relatively powerful stereo receiver (say 150 watts per channel), and then a switch box. While this will work, it means all the speakers in your house are sharing the 150 watts per channel. So if you have 5 zones, the speakers would be sharing the output of the receiver. This is really simple, cheap, and might sound perfectly fine to you.

My suggestion would be to use the Niles amplifier to power the speakers in other rooms, and to purchase a receiver for your home theater room. This home theater receiver would send the audio signal to your Niles amplifier for when you want to play audio in other rooms of the house. I have to say, audio isn't like other realms of the electronics world, a solid piece of audio equipment from 8 (or even 20) years ago will sound better than a cheap stereo built today.

So, you could use your Bose system in the living room, get a blu-ray player with an i-pod dock (and netflix, and hulu, and pandora, and rhapsody, etc). The Bose receives that audio signal, and also sends an audio signal to the Niles Amplifier, which powers the other rooms. That should be the easiest solution.

Is the Niles amplifier already powering the speakers in the other rooms?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
5.1 is basically a home theater system, the 5 refers to the discrete number of speakers (in this case left, center, right, rear left, rear right). and the .1 refers to your subwoofer (you could have 2, in which case it would be a 5.1 system, or you could have 7 speakers, in which case it would be a 7.1, etc).

A 5.1 receiver can power multiple zones (usually only two) for separate rooms (basically it'll have an extra speaker output for left and right (stereo) speakers).

How many rooms will have speakers? That is how many "zones" your system will need to support.

The easiest way to do this is to get a relatively powerful stereo receiver (say 150 watts per channel), and then a switch box. While this will work, it means all the speakers in your house are sharing the 150 watts per channel. So if you have 5 zones, the speakers would be sharing the output of the receiver. This is really simple, cheap, and might sound perfectly fine to you.

My suggestion would be to use the Niles amplifier to power the speakers in other rooms, and to purchase a receiver for your home theater room. This home theater receiver would send the audio signal to your Niles amplifier for when you want to play audio in other rooms of the house. I have to say, audio isn't like other realms of the electronics world, a solid piece of audio equipment from 8 (or even 20) years ago will sound better than a cheap stereo built today.

So, you could use your Bose system in the living room, get a blu-ray player with an i-pod dock (and netflix, and hulu, and pandora, and rhapsody, etc). The Bose receives that audio signal, and also sends an audio signal to the Niles Amplifier, which powers the other rooms. That should be the easiest solution.

Is the Niles amplifier already powering the speakers in the other rooms?
Yes, the Niles amplifier is already powering the speakers in the other rooms. So basically it sounds like I hook my Blue Ray player audio to the Bose system and then hook the Bose audio to the Niles amplifier which is currently powering the other rooms. It doesn't sound too difficult. I'll try it tomorrow. Any other advice or anything else I should purchase?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 AM

I suppose you should make sure there are "audio out" jacks on your Bose. If there aren't, I do know that my Blu-Ray player can output audio from multiple outputs at once, so you could bypass the Bose, and plug the Blu-Ray player directly into the amplifier. (for example, HDMI/coaxial/optical to the Bose, and composite (red/white) audio to the Niles Amplifier).

If it works, and it sounds good to you, I can't think of anything more you'd need. I would only say that make sure you get a Blu-Ray player with Wifi, and also lots of apps. My Sony Blu-ray has Wireless 802.11n and supports Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Vudu, Pandora Radio, Slacker, etc. Also pretty fun with the Sony, is that you can get an app on your iphone or android that turns your phone into a fancy remote for the blu-ray player.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM

570 posts, read 501,738 times
Hi, anyone have any knowledge on sim audio? I just recently demoed a sim 750 cd and 700i intergrated, they are gorgous, the sound is great...I picked up a magnum dynalab 102 t tuner...I will go with those two sim pieces...and sonus speakers...auditor m...
www.simaudio.com
Collection Cremona English | Sonus Faber

Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,417,475 times
Honestly, if you're not an audiophile and require the best of the best (most people aren't going to go out and spend $2000 on a stereo receiver) you can find some great receivers for around the $400 range. Since your house is already pre-wired and has speakers, then you probably don't need to go out and buy an all inclusive package. Someone sent you a link to Crutchfield, I would definitely check them out! Great company from Northern VA, and shipping is really fast if you live on the East coast.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:58 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,195,161 times
I believe Crutchfield is a NAD seller. Look into them. I have a receiver of theirs from the 70's that is still going strong. My reciever has a pre-amp out that you could use to send a signal to the amp you have running the speakers in your house. Their power rating are very conservative so their 40 watt amps will have the equivalent output of others 75 to 100 watt amps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics