U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,059,312 times

Advertisements

I've been able to google my way to figuring out how to burn 100 CD's as party favors via my iTunes accounts. Doing it via my laptop, I know it's going to be a tedious project.

What I can't figure out (since I lack the correct terminology to do a proper search) is how to take the blank CD from, say, Staples, and "burn" a picture of the happy couple who are celebrating their anniversary. I know it can be done, and I'm hoping that one of you can not only tell me the proper way to do this (I'm guessing I will be downloading their original wedding photo digitially?) but also do I do the "photo burning" before I do the playlist burning?

Sorry if I've mangled the proper terms for this process. I really do appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,681,175 times
You can buy blank CD labels (like Avery brand) and print them out from your computer and stick them onto the CD. Or, if you have a burner with LightScribe, you can burn a picture directly onto the disc (has to be LightScribe media).

Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
You can buy blank CD labels (like Avery brand) and print them out from your computer and stick them onto the CD. Or, if you have a burner with LightScribe, you can burn a picture directly onto the disc (has to be LightScribe media).
Thanks for your response. From the earlier searches I had done on this, it was mentioned several times that it was better to burn the picture directly on to the disc since with the labels you ran the chance of having them, at some point, getting stuck in a disc player. I guess from the glue wearing out? I would hate to be the cause of that to someone's system.

I have a Dell Vostro 1700 laptop, using a Windows XP Professional Operating System. The processor speed is 1.75 GHz and the processor is: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz.

Based on this, do I just go to LightScribe Media and download something - or is there a way to check to see if it will even work on my laptop. I don't want to blow anything up!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 AM

2,477 posts, read 4,541,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Based on this, do I just go to LightScribe Media and download something - or is there a way to check to see if it will even work on my laptop. I don't want to blow anything up!
Your DVD burner will have to support the ability to do that. Look on the front of it and check for the LightScribe logo; if it isn't there, then you can't burn the label to the disc right from the drive and will have to settle for printing labels.

Also, make sure your blank DVDs specifically say they're compatible with LightScribe. Most will not be.

Tutorial here.

If you've really got your heart set on burning the labels right to the CD, you can pick up a relatively cheap external DVD burner that will do it. Here's a whole bunch. Newegg is a very reputable site, and just glancing at that list, I'd personally go with the Rosewill one for $39 for a mix of low price and name brand.

You would just plug this into your computer with a simple USB cable that'll come with it and you'll be good to go.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Amazon.com: Epson Artisan 50 Color Inkjet Printer (C11CA45201): Electronics One of many

"Professional looking CDs/DVDs print right onto ink jet printable CDs/DVDs (software included)"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...r+printable+cd

I have used labels, Lightscribe and these. I prefer these.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Tek - what do you use for DVDs when doing this? Will the ink stay on any or are there special ones you have to use?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM

I've looked and gone through the reviews of what both Tek_Freek and Febtober posted. Thank you both so much. Got it now. Lightscribe is not part of my laptop. Tek_Freek, I'm doing this as a favor for my friend (it's her parents), so I really didn't want to get another printer. But after reading the reviews on Amazon on that Epson, there seems to be a real problem down the road when you eventually have to replace the inkjets.

So I then took a look at Febtober's link and this external drive is the one that will work with Windows (the other more highly rated models are designed, apparently, for Mac). Do you guys think this is a good choice:

Newegg.com - LG USB 2.0 Slim External Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model GP08LU30 LightScribe Support

I then took a look at the blank CD's I'd need to buy which have to work with Lightscribe technology. Looking at the bundles offered by Newegg, and knowing that I have 100 CDs to burn, all roads seem to lead to this product which I hope will have enough space for 15 songs. Although I will be getting it from Newegg, Amazon offers a better description for me to attach here:

Amazon.com: Verbatim 95251 700 MB 52x 80 Minute White Inkjet Printable Recordable Disc CD-R, 100-Disc Spindle: Electronics

So in closing, are these two products all I really need to complete this favor for my friend and her parents and am I doing this correctly and with the right choices? Sorry to be so needy, but I know how much my friend wants to make this special for her parents, and I don't want to be the cause of any major screw-up.

Thanks again.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Tek - what do you use for DVDs when doing this? Will the ink stay on any or are there special ones you have to use?

The ones I linked to are designed to be printed on. They have a coated surface that accepts ink. I've had very good results with these.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I've looked and gone through the reviews of what both Tek_Freek and Febtober posted. Thank you both so much. Got it now. Lightscribe is not part of my laptop. Tek_Freek, I'm doing this as a favor for my friend (it's her parents), so I really didn't want to get another printer. But after reading the reviews on Amazon on that Epson, there seems to be a real problem down the road when you eventually have to replace the inkjets.

So I then took a look at Febtober's link and this external drive is the one that will work with Windows (the other more highly rated models are designed, apparently, for Mac). Do you guys think this is a good choice:

Newegg.com - LG USB 2.0 Slim External Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model GP08LU30 LightScribe Support

I then took a look at the blank CD's I'd need to buy which have to work with Lightscribe technology. Looking at the bundles offered by Newegg, and knowing that I have 100 CDs to burn, all roads seem to lead to this product which I hope will have enough space for 15 songs. Although I will be getting it from Newegg, Amazon offers a better description for me to attach here:

Amazon.com: Verbatim 95251 700 MB 52x 80 Minute White Inkjet Printable Recordable Disc CD-R, 100-Disc Spindle: Electronics

So in closing, are these two products all I really need to complete this favor for my friend and her parents and am I doing this correctly and with the right choices? Sorry to be so needy, but I know how much my friend wants to make this special for her parents, and I don't want to be the cause of any major screw-up.

Thanks again.
Edit: Those CDs on Amazon are not Lightscribe. Those are for the printer that prints to them.

The printer I linked to wasn't a recommendation. There are a lot of them available and others will likely have better ink pricing and usage.

You do understand what Lightscribe does, right? It's not going to be a color, or even black and white picture, but variations on gold and black.

lightscribe - Google Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM

31,777 posts, read 25,279,703 times
Quote:
I've been able to google my way to figuring out how to burn 100 CD's as party favors via my iTunes accounts. Doing it via my laptop, I know it's going to be a tedious project.

What I can't figure out (since I lack the correct terminology to do a proper search) is how to take the blank CD from, say, Staples, and "burn" a picture of the happy couple who are celebrating their anniversary. I know it can be done, and I'm hoping that one of you can not only tell me the proper way to do this (I'm guessing I will be downloading their original wedding photo digitially?) but also do I do the "photo burning" before I do the playlist burning?

Sorry if I've mangled the proper terms for this process. I really do appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!
I had to do that last month, but not as many as you need to. I had about 20 DVDs (videos and power point presentations converted to videos) and 20 CDs (photographs). I used LightScribe for labeling.

In your case, it appears to be only a matter of copying the pictures to a CD and labeling the discs. Labeling has been discussed quite a bit, but for pictures themselves, you have two options.

The first, is a simple copy. Your laptop should already have a way to burn files/photos to CD. This option will be useful if they want the ability to print from the disc.

The second is to create a PowerPoint presentation. You have an "album" option within the software. You select background and transitions. You can add music as well. The powerpoint presentation can be converted to a video which can also be burned to a DVD using features within PowerPoint, complete with DVD-like menu options ("Play", "Select Scene", "Notes"). This option won't allow for printing off the disc but will allow them to watch the photographs on TV or PCs/Laptop as a movie, with or without music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics