U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Just curious what other folks think of this.

*Note I did not put this in the cell phone section on purpose because I want to reach a broader spectrum of folks. Not JUST people with fancier phones that hang out in the phone area.

For those that are unaware there is a new technology coming to the cellphone world.
One version of this is calledd Near Field Communications or NFC. I don't want to get to into the techy bits but the NFC chip is one way that you will be able to use your Google-based or apparently MS-based cell phone as your credit card. It will tie your phone to your bank account and you can tap a kiosk at a register and pay. The next iPhone is rumoured to have this too but it might be Bluetooth 4.0 or NFC or or or... lot's of rumours.
The basic premise is the same.

So I just want to know what regular folks thing of this idea and have a little discussion.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
A little discussion: Not a chance in Hell will I ever allow this on my phone. If it has it and I can't disable it I won't buy the phone.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Pretty much all smart phones will have the capability in 3-5 years.
You MUST opt in or sign up for a service like Google Wallet - make your phone your wallet ... it won't ever be mandatory.

Currently only available in ONE phone. But Apple is rumoured to be doing it in the next iPhone. and Microsoft is implementing it to.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,373,227 times
Does this have any advantage to the consumer, or only to the developer and marketer?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM

That's kind of my issue with it. Of course they play it like it's going to be a boon for the consumer.
"Just tap your phone on the reader: boom. Paid".
"We can send coupons to your phone when you walk in a store based on your past purchases for things you actually buy!"
To me it just seems like one more way to bombard you with ads. And does anyone really want Google or Apple to know all your purchases?
It's one thing for the gorcery store to track what you buy with reward cards... but this might be to much.
I don't hear consumers clamoring for this ability....

Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Wow. 120 views. 2 replies? Maybe I should have posted this in the phone forum.
So many people here seem so concerned about privacy I am a bit shocked that there aren't more opinions.

If a mod sees this can you move it to the cellphone forum? NBD if it doesn't.
I am sure this topic will come up again as soon as more then one phone gets these NFC chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics