U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,737,547 times

Advertisements

I just got an ATT cordless (52209) phone and installed it.
Sometimes the "In Use" light (on the base) starts flashing for a minute and it says "Line In Use" on the handset. It lasts a minute and then stops.

This light is supposed to mean another phone is being used on the line, but there's no other phone being used. I do have DSL - in fact the phone is wired to a DSL filter and is plugged into the DSL modem.

Also, is it possible that the In Use light might appear because the handset is low charged?

I saw the ATT support pages and they just said the cord or phone might be defective.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM

After an hour, I switched the phone line (from the phone to the DSL modem) from an older to a newer cord. By that time, the handset was charged more.

I never saw the In Use light flash again. I tried charging the second handset and again, no In Use light flashing. I even switched back to the older cord, and again, no In Use light flashing.

I wonder if it was just because I was using this phone for the first time??

OOPs - In Use started flashing again. Second handset still charging - will update later.

Last edited by robertpasa; 10-05-2011 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: update

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM

By the way, when I say "Charging," I meant charging when the handset says "Low Battery." The handset is always charging when it's in the base.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM

This morning I heard a great deal of scratchy static on my old phone.
That's why I changed phones in the first place.
Could the static be causing the In Use light problem?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:24 PM

13,074 posts, read 6,881,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
This morning I heard a great deal of scratchy static on my old phone.
That's why I changed phones in the first place.
Could the static be causing the In Use light problem?
Are you using a filter for your phones?

DSL filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If not, then likely what you are experiencing is bleed over from your data line. Your phone line is 2 pairs of wires, but a phone normally only uses 1 pair. The other pair is used for the data line. This can cause problems with the way they setup DSL these days and that is why you get interference.

so you should have been given some filters for your phones when you had your service put in so that the bleed over does not effect your voice line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics