U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,198,491 times

Advertisements

I want to buy one of these, there are several different models on Amazon or other places.

I know its supposed to play all regions, has anyone out there had any problems with these players?

Need advice on which one to buy?

Are they easy to connect?

Unplug my old connection Region 1 and replace that connection with the Region Free?

Can I record on these?

Do I need additional cables?

Pricing a $45.00 Region free is not as good as a $75.00 one?

I have a Visio TV VX32L

Do I really need a USB cable? I do not watch movies on the computer.

Seems buying DVD's from Amazon UK is better then buying on Amazon, prices much cheaper for BBC DVD's at Amazon UK

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,809,023 times
About 4 years ago I bought an Oppo DVD player (the Oppo American Division that is based in San Francisco, not China). Best one I've ever had. It can play anything, even .mov or .avi files you burn onto a CD. Plays DVD's and music CD's from every region and does upconverting of DVD's. If I remember correctly, you do have to go to a menu to set the machine for universal compatibility, since it ships with the default set to Region 1. That default might have changed with more recent models.

There is a good review of their BDP-83 Blu-Ray player here. (Edit: After reading it I noticed that yes, it does come ready to go - no fidgeting with region settings)

It can connect with standard cables or you can use an HDMI cable, which is better. The only negative I've heard about Oppo is that there may be some compatibility issues with Sony Bravia TV's so I'd check into that if you have one of those.

Last edited by Astron1000; 10-24-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
About 4 years ago I bought an Oppo DVD player (the Oppo American Division that is based in San Francisco, not China). Best one I've ever had. It can play anything, even .mov or .avi files you burn onto a CD. Plays DVD's and music CD's from every region and does upconverting of DVD's. If I remember correctly, you do have to go to a menu to set the machine for universal compatibility, since it ships with the default set to Region 1. That default might have changed with more recent models.

There is a good review of their BDP-83 Blu-Ray player here. (Edit: After reading it I noticed that yes, it does come ready to go - no fidgeting with region settings)

It can connect with standard cables or you can use an HDMI cable, which is better. The only negative I've heard about Oppo is that there may be some compatibility issues with Sony Bravia TV's so I'd check into that if you have one of those.
Thanks for replying, I'll look into the Oppo American.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post

Astron,
As much as I'd like to buy the Oppo its out of my price range, its most likely the best out there.

Help with any more suggestions? I would like region free player & recorder, I look at these and none say they record, I don't want to have all these boxes, DTV Box, DVD region1 player/recorder plus a region free just player.

Or do all the region free players come automatically with record?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics