U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

I have Pioneer VHS Recorder and a lot of Disney Videos. I want to transfer them to DVD but unfortunatly I can't do it as my recorder says "Copyrighted Material" What can I do against it?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:32 PM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
The real answer? Stop watching Disney stuff as much as possible. Disney was the corporation that spearheaded the lobbying to extend copyrights into perpetuity. In "protecting the stockholders" the company is more ethically challenged than the big banks. Walt was a visionary. The company turned sour after he died.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
FWIW - the problem is only going to get worse. There is a growing attempt to remove items in the public domain and slap copyrights on them.

It gets crazy when you rent a DVD of "Potemkin" and see a big FBI warning label on it. First, it was done by the Russians, second, it was promoting the idea of the rights of the masses and communism, third, any real copyright on it expired long ago. Just because some BOZO got a copy and can make dupes from that does NOT give him the right to assert copyright. Don't give me the "digital enhancement" cr*p. If I wash the dirt off a painting, does that make it my own copyrightable work? You-tube currently has Potemkin available for viewing free. At least there is a nod to common sense there.

Google books is running into a similar situation, where companies are converting the Google scanned images of old books to a print on demand format, and slapping a copyright on it. When the Google books engine sees the title with a copyright, it removes it from the completely viewable books.

Make no mistake, if such excesses are allowed to continue, there will be little or nothing available in the public domain, and you will be eventually be forced to pay a fee to read the Constitution and Declaration of Independence, and not allowed to keep a permanent copy.

Perhaps what the OWS protesters need to add to their bucket list is to occupy the commons, before it is sold to a company who operates parks accessible for a fee.

I don't encourage people to break laws, but I do encourage people to protect themselves and way of life. However, I would STILL avoid watching Disney or doing anything that increases the bottom line of that company until it gets the travesty of copyright reversed. Don't get your kids addicted to their version of kiddie crack.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Disney was the corporation that spearheaded the lobbying to extend copyrights into perpetuity.
It's not perpetuity but they were successful in getting it extended a significant amount. Early Disney work will start to enter the public domain in about a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics