U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,899,696 times

Advertisements

In a 7.1 system, the seven speakers should be located as possible:

front center - dead center, probably below the TV display
front left and right - to the sides of the TV display, as close to center of the display height as possible
surrounds - if THX configuration, these should be dipole design, and directly to the sides of the primary seating position; if not THX, on the sides, and slightly behind the primary seating position
rear - behind the primary seating position

See the following for reference information.

Dolby Home Theater Speaker Placement and Setup Guide

In ceiling speakers generally aim sound "down" which means the directional cues contained in the soundtrack are compromised.

In wall subwoofers suffer from many problems - starting with the shallow depth of a 2x4 wall. The speaker drivers are compromised for the shallow space and the uncontrolled air space in the wall. The vibration generated by a subwoofer makes the wall come alive, which is almost always a bad thing.

If you are designing or building now, I strongly suggest incorporating box subwoofer(s) into the cabinet or framing. Even better for sound is to just buy a good looking subwoofer and leave it in the open such as in a front corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM

43,968 posts, read 53,794,362 times
Yes. Only the rear speakers were going to be in the ceiling, but I see what you are saying about those being less than ideal. The front and sides can be incorporated at seating level in the built-in that the tv is housed in. Thank you.

What a pain. Makes me not want to do it at all because I don't want speakers littered all over the room if they can't be incorporated into the architecture. I may just scrap this plan and finish building the half-built movie theater upstairs. Don't care how that looks if it sounds great and looks great.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:04 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,899,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Only the rear speakers were going to be in the ceiling, but I see what you are saying about those being less than ideal. The front and sides can be incorporated at seating level in the built-in that the tv is housed in. Thank you.

What a pain. Makes me not want to do it at all because I don't want speakers littered all over the room if they can't be incorporated into the architecture. I may just scrap this plan and finish building the half-built movie theater upstairs. Don't care how that looks if it sounds great and looks great.
So you have another media room?

If the room this thread is about is just for everyday stuff, put in 5.1 instead of 7.1. Very few sources have a 7.1 soundtrack.

You can go in-wall or in-ceiling if you must. But the good stuff is expensive. The LAST thing I'd put in wall is the subwoofer.

SIG-1.5R-30 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,491,847 times
If you're willing to live with the sonic compromises, there are decent in-wall speakers available. Just be an informed buyer and be aware of the trade-offs you're making. I've heard the Paradigm Signature in-walls and they're pretty decent. Many years ago I heard some Thiel on-ceiling speakers that were surprisingly good (surprising for a pod that mounts on the ceiling, not surprising that Thiel made a good speaker).

It's also possible to build a false wall that hides floorstanding speakers and even subwoofers behind acoustically transparent cloth. Or, if you were planning on using a projector, you can put the speakers behind the screen, like this:

SmX Cinema Solutions :: Acoustically Transparent Projection Screen Application

Old 11-09-2011, 03:12 PM

43,968 posts, read 53,794,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So you have another media room?

If the room this thread is about is just for everyday stuff, put in 5.1 instead of 7.1. Very few sources have a 7.1 soundtrack.

You can go in-wall or in-ceiling if you must. But the good stuff is expensive. The LAST thing I'd put in wall is the subwoofer.

SIG-1.5R-30 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.
Oh, yeah. There is an actual room decked out as a half-finished movie theater upstairs. It's got the blackout stuff, painted, there's a closet for all the tech, wiring run-throughs.

The room I want to do is our family room. It's just got the 60 inch tv and blu-ray player, PS3. But it's where we spend most of our time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics