U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,373,227 times

Advertisements

I bought a cheap TV, with good enough picture but the sound is barely better than speakerphone. I'd like to upgrade the sound by using the RCA composite to go Cable-box Video => TV, but Cable-box Audio => detached speakers. But before I shop for speakers, is there any reason that that might/would not be compatible? If speakers are not RCA-plugged, any adapter pitfalls? Will the speakers need their own power source? We're talking about thrift shop speakers, no point spending $150 to upgrade the sound of a $120 TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,052 times
You don't see too many speakers with RCA inputs unless they are self-amped (which it will get pricy for those but they sound oh-so-nice). RCA cables carry very weak electrical impulses that would be inaudible unless amplified so you will need some sort of amplifier and of course the speakers to run it to. Upgrading the sound might not be worth it unless you want to look at it as a long term purchase for years to come. Amplifiers do need a power source.

Another option is looking at some computer speaker systems. They include everything you need in one package and some of them sound pretty good too but again, they can get into the hundreds of $$ which may not be worth it. In these cases, the RCA's would jack most likely into the subwoofer (which contains the amp) and the two speakers would be wired into the sub as well via mini jacks. Look into Logitech and Altec-Lansing.

Edit - I just found this as I was posting and for 70 bucks too! This won't sound spectacular but you just wanted something better than the tin can speaker you have which these are. Good starting point!

Logitech - Speaker System Z323

Last edited by Adric; 11-07-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

Edit - I just found this as I was posting and for 70 bucks too! This won't sound spectacular but you just wanted something better than the tin can speaker you have which these are. Good starting point!

Logitech - Speaker System Z323
Just found a used one, cheap. Can a dummy like me just plug the RCAs into the cable box, the AC in a wall, and my TV into the Video RCA, and have sound volume that can be controlled with my cable box remote, or is there anything else I'd need to know?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:01 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,052 times
Yes, it should be a pretty easy setup. Most likely it will just entail the following:

Run the yellow video out port on the cable box to the yellow video in on the TV (like how it probably is right now).

Run the Red and White audio out on the cablebox to the Red and White audio in on the speaker system.

Plug the two speakers into their corresponding outputs on the sub (or wherever they happen to be located).

Plug the speaker system into the wall outlet.

Presto.

If what you bought is anything like the system in the link poste above, you will now have two ways of controlling volume. 1) the volume knob on th speaker system and 2) the volume control on the cable box. I would just find a good volume level on the speaker system and leave it alone after that and just use the volume buttons on the remote control thereafter.

Let me know if you end up having trouble setting it up and I'll help to the best of my abilities.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics