U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
That's why the red light cameras are programed to ignore the people doing the right thing by running the red light. That way they don't get slammed in the rear. That leeway is a life saver, not to mention a money saver.

It could be different in other towns, but in my town and as well as in the Dallas area, it is the same.
From "Safelight"
The first 17 cameras installed in January of 2007 now have two years of post implementation data and our analysis shows the following before and after results:
  • 61% average reduction in intersection accidents caused by red light running (http://www.dallascityhall.com/pubsafe/safelight.html - broken link)
  • 30% average reduction in intersection accidents of all types (http://www.dallascityhall.com/pubsafe/safelight.html - broken link)
  • 100% of the intersections showed reductions in red-light accidents (http://www.dallascityhall.com/pubsafe/safelight.html - broken link)
IMHO, RLC are nothing more than a money-grubbing scam for that industry first and then the participating governments next, w/ little to no benefit to the public.

As known, data can be skewered into whatever a person / group desires the outcome to be. As an engineer / scientist, I've seen people do that too often.

Interesting story here: Los Angeles Red Light Cameras To Shut Off esp. this quote:
Quote:
An audit by City Controller Wendy Greuel last year concluded the program has not "conclusively shown to have increased public safety."
What exactly is that car doing in the lower left of this video, why is it stopped?
Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - SafeLight (http://www.dallascityhall.com/pubsafe/safelight.html - broken link)

Another article of interest: Study puts spotlight on red-light cameras - USATODAY.com And yes, lol, both sides can find hundreds of "scientifically based articles with data" that can show positive for their own desires. This is spoken of in this article: Do Red Light Cameras Reduce Accidents?

Quote:
Do red light cameras reduce accidents? That simple question has four answers: Yes, No, Maybe, and It Depends. But it takes a lot of research, a lot of reading, and a lot of money to come to any of these conclusions.
However, to reduce accidents in intersections, I've been a big proponent of a few simple non-big brother things:
a) lengthen the time a Yellow light is lit,
b) have some time added to the Green lights before they light up,
c) repaint the solid lines whereby if you are in that 'zone' when the Yellow light is lit, and you are going at the posted speed, you can continue on.
d) have the Green light flash 2-3 times before it goes to Yellow

Love the example that is at the end of this video: Study puts spotlight on red-light cameras - USATODAY.com it is hard to tell, but my guess is that the goof ball that was making a left turn had stopped, and then tried to beat the car coming towards it

Lastly, my biggest beefs about these RLC is that they do NOT ticket the actual driver of the vehicle, but the owner. That IMHO is totally unacceptable. And that on one hand governments will state that these tickets are like parking tickets [hence "its ok to ticket the owner, not the driver"], but however these are MOVING violations, where safety is of concern… an illegally parked car will rarely be causing injuries / damage. But,,, the RCL are there to protect us! Rubbish

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 11-21-2011 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There are studies that suggest an increase in accidents as well, and that accidents have declined regardless of camera being in place, or not.

The biggest problem with such enforcements is that cameras don't think. They don't take into account how a person or the vehicle will react to conditions. On many occasions, it might be safer for vehicle to go when the camera would record it as a violation, and that requires judgment call on a person who would review the case. In one case, a similar call resulted in a challenge thrown out of the court, because the camera and the person analyzing agreed, but the details didn't. This person was turning at a light, after yielding... the camera took multiple shots showing the person took several seconds to go through and when it was safe. Yet, he received this ticket, and had to go through the nuisance of challenging it.
I don't think they can achieve perfection, at least not yet...

Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,084,810 times
Aren't radar detectors illegal in some states? I'm not sure, but I think a few states in the Northeast don't allow them.

If I pull someone over for any violation (stop sign, speeding, littering, etc) and see a radar detector on the windshield, it is pretty much a guaranteed ticket. It makes me think you are the type of person that willfully breaks the law and don't want to be caught. That's my personal opinion, other officers might not care. I also hate red light cameras.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM

9,054 posts, read 16,668,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
A drive through places like AZ, where they have placed cash registers (er, speed cams) instantly triples the value of a product like the 9500ix. On a recent trip to AZ it picked up every one of them (note that the fixed cameras do not rely on radar so a traditional detector is useless).
How recent was this trip to AZ?

Where did it pick them up?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
IMHO, RLC are nothing more than a money-grubbing scam for that industry first and then the participating governments next, w/ little to no benefit to the public.

As known, data can be skewered into whatever a person / group desires the outcome to be. As an engineer / scientist, I've seen people do that too often.

Interesting story here: Los Angeles Red Light Cameras To Shut Off esp. this quote:

What exactly is that car doing in the lower left of this video, why is it stopped?
Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - SafeLight (http://www.dallascityhall.com/pubsafe/safelight.html - broken link)

Another article of interest: Study puts spotlight on red-light cameras - USATODAY.com And yes, lol, both sides can find hundreds of "scientifically based articles with data" that can show positive for their own desires. This is spoken of in this article: Do Red Light Cameras Reduce Accidents?

However, to reduce accidents in intersections, I've been a big proponent of a few simple non-big brother things:
a) lengthen the time a Yellow light is lit,
b) have some time added to the Green lights before they light up,
c) repaint the solid lines whereby if you are in that 'zone' when the Yellow light is lit, and you are going at the posted speed, you can continue on.
d) have the Green light flash 2-3 times before it goes to Yellow

Love the example that is at the end of this video: Study puts spotlight on red-light cameras - USATODAY.com it is hard to tell, but my guess is that the goof ball that was making a left turn had stopped, and then tried to beat the car coming towards it

Lastly, my biggest beefs about these RLC is that they do NOT ticket the actual driver of the vehicle, but the owner. That IMHO is totally unacceptable. And that on one hand governments will state that these tickets are like parking tickets [hence "its ok to ticket the owner, not the driver"], but however these are MOVING violations, where safety is of concern… an illegally parked car will rarely be causing injuries / damage. But,,, the RCL are there to protect us! Rubbish
I was just going back through the notes and realized that not all municipalities work the same way insofar as red light cameras go. It seems most cities are working out their solutions, themselves instead of studying the more successful stories.

BTW, that reminds me. I recall reading in the paper about a town that is in a quandary about whether or not to stop the red camera program due to not getting enough revenue. And apparently nobody was getting hurt. I figured if nobody was getting hurt, then maybe it's a good thing and that maybe they should keep the cameras. Sorry, I don't remember the town.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Aren't radar detectors illegal in some states? I'm not sure, but I think a few states in the Northeast don't allow them.
If I remember correctly only Virginia and DC. I believe they aren't allowed on military installations either but that is probably because they don't want any radars on them.

Quote:
If I pull someone over for any violation (stop sign, speeding, littering, etc) and see a radar detector on the windshield, it is pretty much a guaranteed ticket.
I was pulled over last year for speeding, first time in 20 years I was stopped. I have a nearly spotless driving record except for some youthful "dumbassedness". No radar detector and I got a ticket anyway. In my area it's a bit of scam even for the written ticket, the officer told me to plead not guilty and he'd work with me on it. (wink,wink). They get paid for court appearances which I'm guessing is going to be overtime for most of them so it's in their best interests to write a lot of tickets and hope a lot of people fight them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics